PDA

View Full Version : Hand sanitising gel and cancer?

rainbow
09-03-17, 08:47
My 13 year old daughter has anxiety and a phobia of being sick. She uses an anti bacterial hand gel when she's at school as a lot of the time there is no soap in the girls toilets. She told me today that one of her friends said to her that using these gels can cause skin cancer. She's a little bit worried about it.

Does anyone know if there's any truth in this?

Cakelady
09-03-17, 09:55
Hi, because the NHS use it massively, I highly doubt there are any real risks. I googled cause I know nothing about this but as a germaphobe use these products alot. They can contain triclosan but so do many other products from lipstick, toothpaste, face wash to carpets & bedding. It is a commonly used antibacterial, its even used in sutures. I couldn't find a "reliable source" saying it was linked to cancer. The NHS has a couple of reassuring write ups. It said research was done on mice & they were fed amounts far far greater than humans will ever be exposed to, these were published after media scre stories. If she is still worried it is possible to find natural alternatives, greenpeople.co.uk do one which sounds nice & i'm sure many other places do too. There are also recipes online to make your own using natural antibacterials like tea tree. If she uses it alot a natural might be more gentle on her skin:) xx

rainbow
09-03-17, 14:22
Thank you for your reply,

I will have a look to see what I can find.

Fishmanpa
09-03-17, 14:44
I will have a look to see what I can find.

Why? You're bound to find something that will cause you to spiral.

How's the downloaded CBT coming along?

Positive thoughts

rainbow
09-03-17, 17:03
Why? You're bound to find something that will cause you to spiral.

How's the downloaded CBT coming along?

Positive thoughts

Because I want to make sure that it's ok for my daughter to use and so that I can reassure her. I'm not particularly worried about it tbh, so don't think it will cause me to spiral.

I've slowly been going through the modules but I will really benefit by working with a therapist as I've done in the past.

Carrie8484
09-03-17, 17:09
Rainbow - I wouldn't google about this. You're bound to find a scary story about it. Remember the media tells us everything these days causes cancer - red meat, farmed fish , alcohol, cheese, unwashed veg, processed food.
Your daughter won't get skin cancer from using hand gel, because like cakelady said - look at how widely it is used in hospitals etc.
Alternatively I used hand wipes called 'clinell' that are used by the NHS too and I find these great for when I can't wash my hands.

Capercrohnj
09-03-17, 17:16
I personally hate hand sanitizer for other reasons but it is not carcinogenic

Fishmanpa
09-03-17, 17:17
Rainbow - I wouldn't google about this. You're bound to find a scary story about it. Remember the media tells us everything these days causes cancer - red meat, farmed fish , alcohol, cheese, unwashed veg, processed food. .

Exactly! Heck, I just saw a list of ten foods that are killing us for goodness sakes. It's an HA sufferer nightmare! Since your daughter has a germ phobia, the last thing you want to do is freak her out by telling her not to use it.

Positive thoughts

rainbow
09-03-17, 20:18
I haven't told her not to use it, her friend from school told her it's not good to use. My daughter told me this morning about it. If it's safe to use then that's fine and she can continue to take it to school with her.

pulisa
09-03-17, 21:02
How will you decide that it's safe though?

Cakelady
09-03-17, 21:58
Think I would feel ok on the basis that thousands of hospital staff use it hundreds of times a day, the NHS wouldn't have it so widely used in hospitals if it was potentially harmful:) xx

rainbow
10-03-17, 00:34
How will you decide that it's safe though?

Well, the responses I've had on here are enough to make me think it's fine for her to use.

GlassPinata
10-03-17, 00:48
It is not recommended for small children because they sometimes lick it off their hands. It is harmful if swallowed (before it's dry; after it dries, I believe it is safe).
I have never in my life heard of it presenting any other danger, and it's been around for many, many years: since I was a kid, and I'm 44 now!
I know that it is preferable to wash your hands with soap and water. it gets them cleaner and gets rid of germs better. But in the absence of soap, hand sanitizer is the next best thing, and it does not cause cancer or anything else, except possibly dry skin after awhile. It is used by medical personnel in hospitals everywhere, and has been for decades. Don't you think doctors would be the first to know, if it caused cancer?

Best wishes.

rainbow
10-03-17, 01:20
It is not recommended for small children because they sometimes lick it off their hands. It is harmful if swallowed (before it's dry; after it dries, I believe it is safe).
I have never in my life heard of it presenting any other danger, and it's been around for many, many years: since I was a kid, and I'm 44 now!
I know that it is preferable to wash your hands with soap and water. it gets them cleaner and gets rid of germs better. But in the absence of soap, hand sanitizer is the next best thing, and it does not cause cancer or anything else, except possibly dry skin after awhile. It is used by medical personnel in hospitals everywhere, and has been for decades. Don't you think doctors would be the first to know, if it caused cancer?

Best wishes.

I only asked because my daughter mentioned it to me this morning. I have no anxiety or issues regarding this, it was just a question as I hadn't heard anything about hand sanitizer being hazardous to health.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply.

Haced
10-03-17, 02:59
IIRC the only risk it causes is that it kills off so many germs that sometimes people who use it so much don't get sick enough and end up having immune systems that aren't used to things like the cold or flu. Minor things that can usually be fixed after a day in bed after inevitably contracting the sniffles and stomach ache. Then again, I heard that through George Carlin, and although he's a smart man, I know he's not a doctor. I think. :P

Regardless, its definitely safe unless you decide to chug it down.

MyNameIsTerry
10-03-17, 03:34
The NHS use it. They use it on cancer treatment wards, which should be telling us about it's safety in this respect. They encourage patients to use it.

It's also found in public toilets too.

And it will have been tested to be allowed on sale. If later the issue of cancer came up, it becomes a possible public health concern and products can be pulled from the shelves if proven to be a risk.

That all tells me it's fine.

Has your daughter's friend been reading the DM or sites peddling scaremongering stories?

rainbow
10-03-17, 07:52
The NHS use it. They use it on cancer treatment wards, which should be telling us about it's safety in this respect. They encourage patients to use it.

It's also found in public toilets too.

And it will have been tested to be allowed on sale. If later the issue of cancer came up, it becomes a possible public health concern and products can be pulled from the shelves if proven to be a risk.

That all tells me it's fine.

Has your daughter's friend been reading the DM or sites peddling scaremongering stories?

I'm not sure where the girl got her information. I won't be stopping my daughter from using it, it helps to calm her fears about germs down a little.

pulisa
10-03-17, 08:38
Maybe this girl was deliberately scaremongering just to ramp up your daughter's fears? Probably thought it was funny...

Glad that you are reassured, rainbow.

rainbow
10-03-17, 10:36
Maybe this girl was deliberately scaremongering just to ramp up your daughter's fears? Probably thought it was funny...

Glad that you are reassured, rainbow.

Not too sure why she said it, but my daughter hasn't mentioned it since that morning.

Phuzella
10-03-17, 14:32
It annoys me that schools don't keep their toilets stocked up with soap etc. Standards are slipping. I've noticed some pretry grubby hospital bogs too :(

MyNameIsTerry
10-03-17, 14:48
It annoys me that schools don't keep their toilets stocked up with soap etc. Standards are slipping. I've noticed some pretry grubby hospital bogs too :(

They never used to when I was young either. And remember those old germ encouraging hand towels on a roll (that usually just got stuck)?

Hospitals seem to get picked up on hygiene more. Basic nursing is going downhill.

---------- Post added at 14:48 ---------- Previous post was at 14:46 ----------

I'm not sure where the girl got her information. I won't be stopping my daughter from using it, it helps to calm her fears about germs down a little.

Good.

This other girl sounds like a scaremongering type. Use the opportunity to teach your daughter how to rationalise such triggers perhaps?

Cakelady
10-03-17, 14:51
Oh yeah, & that horrible toilet paper, like tracing paper, was lucky to go home at lunch so could avoid the toilets at school lol! x

MyNameIsTerry
10-03-17, 15:00
Oh yeah, & that horrible toilet paper, like tracing paper, was lucky to go home at lunch so could avoid the toilets at school lol! x

If you ate school meals you probably wouldn't have had much choice in the matter! :winks:

The bullies hung ago the toilet block at mine so many people avoided it. The choice treatment was the old head down the toilet one.