PDA

View Full Version : Bowel cancer

Bindie77
09-03-17, 08:49
Hello
I'm new to here but have been experiencing HA for about 10 years. My symptoms have been ok for 2 years but I'm currently in the middle of a flare up about bowel cancer.
I've been diagnosed mildly anemic and have had looser stool for a few months. Dr thinks anemia is down to heavy periods and bowel is ins/stress. Anyhow she's done a range of blood tests and I'm waiting for the results.
I've also done a stool sample - one to test for inflammation and one to test for occult blood (hidden blood in stool). The inflammation one came back fine (so that rules out IBD etc) but I'm due to call the dr this morning for the outcome of the blood one....if this is positive I will have a colonoscopy.
I'm so frightened about a. Calling the dr and b. Facing up to what it could be if the test is bad. Dr says that if it is positive it could be a polyp but I think she's trying to make me feel better.
Has anyone had any experience of this?

Cakelady
09-03-17, 09:19
Hi, I remember my dad having a positive for blood in stool sample, it was one of the kits you test at home & send back as part of the screening program. As a result of this blood he had to have a colonoscopy which was uncomfortable but found absolutely nothing wrong. Caused quite alot of worry but turned out to be just one of those things. Best wishes xx

Bindie77
09-03-17, 16:34
Thank you. I called the gp but my test isn't back. I feel so worried about this. I did get my bloods back and my platlets are high plus wbc but I've only just got over flu so not sure if this would cause the elivated levels

Capercrohnj
09-03-17, 16:51
There are quite a few false positives with that test and even if they find blood there are lots of non cancer reasons for it.

nomorepanic
09-03-17, 16:55
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

charliebear78
16-03-17, 14:12
I have done the Calprotectin stool test which came back(today) as normal.
However I did a Home test for Hidden blood in stool a while back now-it came back positive.
Doctors know about this and just do not seem bothered!!!
I am 39.
I have been sent for various other tests and all come back ok so I am trying not to panic.
Just cant seem to understand how they are not willing to do further testing for me in light of it coming back pos.

L9EEW
19-03-17, 19:34
Hi, I remember my dad having a positive for blood in stool sample, it was one of the kits you test at home & send back as part of the screening program. As a result of this blood he had to have a colonoscopy which was uncomfortable but found absolutely nothing wrong. Caused quite alot of worry but turned out to be just one of those things. Best wishes xx

This post alone makes me feel better, Dad has a colonoscopy tomorrow after testing positive so really, really worried!

GlassPinata
19-03-17, 19:55
Hello
I'm new to here but have been experiencing HA for about 10 years. My symptoms have been ok for 2 years but I'm currently in the middle of a flare up about bowel cancer.
I've been diagnosed mildly anemic and have had looser stool for a few months. Dr thinks anemia is down to heavy periods and bowel is ins/stress. Anyhow she's done a range of blood tests and I'm waiting for the results.
I've also done a stool sample - one to test for inflammation and one to test for occult blood (hidden blood in stool). The inflammation one came back fine (so that rules out IBD etc) but I'm due to call the dr this morning for the outcome of the blood one....if this is positive I will have a colonoscopy.
I'm so frightened about a. Calling the dr and b. Facing up to what it could be if the test is bad. Dr says that if it is positive it could be a polyp but I think she's trying to make me feel better.
Has anyone had any experience of this?

Well, a polyp is not necessarily malignant; many people have polyps but do not have cancer.
And many of your symptoms sound related to IBS, which is common in people with anxiety.
I know this is scary, but you are under a doctor's care.... try not to worry too much.
Best wishes. :hugs:

L9EEW
21-03-17, 23:15
Colonoscopy wasn't good and the Doc found an 'abnormality' - that's my HA through the roof and totally numb.

Ed320
23-03-17, 01:33
Aw hang in there! Atleast its just an abnormality and not a giant tumour, it might be nothing. Even if it was, all tumors in the colon or anus arn't all cancerous believe it or not. I've read stories about ppl having benign tumours removed from colon. But it might not even be that. Ik its hard but try not to stress until you know for sure.

robertl
25-04-17, 22:46
What is HA?