PDA

View Full Version : Parent Dementia Concerns?

littlemissanxious
09-03-17, 12:35
I am very concerned that my mum has memory/confusion problems. She is 61.

This all started after my Grandmother had a brain tumour. Her decline mentally was terrifying and my health anxiety has expanded out from myself into being afraid for my parents as well.

I find myself analysing everything my Mum does or says to watch for slip ups. Recently she seems to forget things and get things confused.

Like she thought my Auntie (who she doesn't communicate with a lot) was going to New York but she was actually going to Tenerife, she had been to New York the year before. We were in a shop and she thought a strapless top was a skirt...I guess they do kind of look the same? Then a couple of weeks ago we were looking at furniture and got a price check on a garden set, we returned to the shop this week and she commented on how nice the garden set was...like she'd never seen it before. I mentioned it to her and she said "Oh I thought the one we saw had a parasol with it".
Once she also forgot her postcode and I had to write it on a form for her. I asked her what it was again a few minutes later back in the car and she remembered it straight away...

Sometimes she will also mix up the names of shops or words like "today" for "yesterday".

I don't know if this is me being over-analytical or if her memory is a concern? The whole thing makes me very worried :weep:

Siyman1
09-03-17, 13:45
Try not to worry. Maybe your are over analyzing. I'm 27 and sometimes forget Evan basic things or have a daft moment and say something completely wrong. Or just completely forget what I was about to say. And when people age they get more forgetful. It isn't necessarily a serious condition. Just general age deteriation. My grandad died ages 89. He would forget things or say things wrong but he didn't have anything neurological wring with his brain. So try not to worry