PDA

View Full Version : Normal Lymph Nodes

PASchoolSyndrome
09-03-17, 17:45
Hey guys, I just recently started my clinical portion of my PA training and I wanted to share some of the things I've learned, considering lymph nodes have been popular lately. Not trying to toot my own profession's horn or knock down other professions, but PAs are particularly very good at giving physical exams and taking patient history. I would argue we get more training and practice in this area than a lot of medicine programs. I've been working in general practice this past week and have had a lot of new patients and chief complaints which require an extensive physical exam.

And... LYMPH NODES.

Lymph nodes everywhere.

Ranging from 1-2cm, rubbery, moveable, non-moveable, a couple of hard ones that had been previously cleared as healthy, any type of lymph node I have felt within this past week. Cervial, axillary, groin, you name it.

Google, and most medical text books, will tell you all the bad things, signs and symptoms, that can happen to the body. Not enough time is put into telling us what is NORMAL.

Humans have over 300 lymph nodes in our body. They're most commonly able to be felt in the neck, armpit, and groin. Young and skinny people will most likely be able to feel nodes in all of these areas. Normal nodes feel like small little beans, rubbery and soft, and freely moveable (meaning they jump out of the way when you push on them, or you can move them with your finger). They range from size, up to 2cm is typically not concerning. Keep in mine when one of your node feels huge, you cannot measure it without an ultrasound. Using your finger will NOT be accurate and while it's a good estimate, it doesn't take into account the skin thickness and other underlying tissue. Plus our anxiety highly messes with our objective judgement.

Some people will have swollen nodes from an infection and they just will never go down.

I cannot count how many lymph nodes I have felt this past week. Even the particularly large ones I asked the patients and they either have already had it checked out or "oh, I've had that since I was 12".

So. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you feel a lymph node, try your best not to panic and remind yourself that it is a part of your anatomy. They get bigger when you have an infection. It is so normal, its disgusting the amount of anxiety they cause. If it's something that worries you, it feels "huge", or it is rapidly growing with no sign of infection, go see your doctor. Google and random strangers on an anxiety forum will never never ever replace a visit to the doctor/PA/NP office.

BUT. Once you do go to the doctor and they essentially roll their eyes and wonder why the school system failed so many people in the natural workings and anatomy of their body (I'm just kidding, they don't really roll their eyes), and they tell you they feel normal. Believe them. Do your best to let it go. Doctor's know dangerous from not dangerous. I've been in clinic for one week and I've felt so many nodes I could slap myself.

I'm proud to say I've 100% have gotten over my lymph node anxiety. I really hope this helps you too!

StephA
09-03-17, 19:43
Excellent post!!

Mav
09-03-17, 19:50
very, very helpful.

Fishmanpa
09-03-17, 20:01
Yes... very good post. I've stated this information several times over here. I know nodes as my cancer involved them. I had more than 25 removed from my neck! One adjustment is that there are an estimated 500-700 nodes in our bodies. 300+ is correct but there's a lot more.

One thing to add to your post... to put it in laymans's terms. Lymph nodes are the body's sewer system and are designed to filter out junk. So when one swells a bit or hurts, it's because it's doing it's job!

Also, unless you actually excise the node from it's location, the notion of saying they're 2cm or some other size is frankly ridiculous. Even trained medical professionals can only estimate and those that are experienced and good at it (like oncologists) get pretty close but don't nail it. The nodes in my neck were estimated to be around 4cm when I went in for surgery (from doctors estimates and ultrasounds). Turns out they were over 5+cm when all was said and done as the cancer had made them grow and invade surrounding muscle and blood vessels. So please, when you post about your nodes, don't include your uneducated guesses :emot-rolleyes:

Let's also address poking and prodding. Doing so can and does make a node swell. Continually doing so can cause the node to go shotty (permanently swollen). Keep your hands and fingers off of them!

Positive thoughts

PASchoolSyndrome
09-03-17, 21:00
Fishmanpa, half the time I see you have commented on a thread I always read what you wrote. you have some of the best posts and experience (not the experience being good, I hope you know what I mean) and have helped me through some of my own spirals! I just really want you to know that!

Fishmanpa
09-03-17, 21:06
Glad it helps PA :)

Positive thoughts

Mav
10-03-17, 01:15
Glad it helps PA :)

Positive thoughts

Helps me too, I really want you to know that aswell. I've sometimes made threads in the past just waiting for your post to tell me off:doh:

Fishmanpa
10-03-17, 01:53
Helps me too, I really want you to know that aswell. I've sometimes made threads in the past just waiting for your post to tell me off:doh:

~lol~ Thank you and I had to laugh at that. I know I'm blunt and straight forward but I truly feel, based on my experience with my daughter and others that many times it's the most positive response. Glad it helps :)

Positive thoughts

Alpsman123
08-04-18, 23:50
Hey guys, I just recently started my clinical portion of my PA training and I wanted to share some of the things I've learned, considering lymph nodes have been popular lately. Not trying to toot my own profession's horn or knock down other professions, but PAs are particularly very good at giving physical exams and taking patient history. I would argue we get more training and practice in this area than a lot of medicine programs. I've been working in general practice this past week and have had a lot of new patients and chief complaints which require an extensive physical exam.

And... LYMPH NODES.

Lymph nodes everywhere.

Ranging from 1-2cm, rubbery, moveable, non-moveable, a couple of hard ones that had been previously cleared as healthy, any type of lymph node I have felt within this past week. Cervial, axillary, groin, you name it.

Google, and most medical text books, will tell you all the bad things, signs and symptoms, that can happen to the body. Not enough time is put into telling us what is NORMAL.

Humans have over 300 lymph nodes in our body. They're most commonly able to be felt in the neck, armpit, and groin. Young and skinny people will most likely be able to feel nodes in all of these areas. Normal nodes feel like small little beans, rubbery and soft, and freely moveable (meaning they jump out of the way when you push on them, or you can move them with your finger). They range from size, up to 2cm is typically not concerning. Keep in mine when one of your node feels huge, you cannot measure it without an ultrasound. Using your finger will NOT be accurate and while it's a good estimate, it doesn't take into account the skin thickness and other underlying tissue. Plus our anxiety highly messes with our objective judgement.

Some people will have swollen nodes from an infection and they just will never go down.

I cannot count how many lymph nodes I have felt this past week. Even the particularly large ones I asked the patients and they either have already had it checked out or "oh, I've had that since I was 12".

So. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you feel a lymph node, try your best not to panic and remind yourself that it is a part of your anatomy. They get bigger when you have an infection. It is so normal, its disgusting the amount of anxiety they cause. If it's something that worries you, it feels "huge", or it is rapidly growing with no sign of infection, go see your doctor. Google and random strangers on an anxiety forum will never never ever replace a visit to the doctor/PA/NP office.

BUT. Once you do go to the doctor and they essentially roll their eyes and wonder why the school system failed so many people in the natural workings and anatomy of their body (I'm just kidding, they don't really roll their eyes), and they tell you they feel normal. Believe them. Do your best to let it go. Doctor's know dangerous from not dangerous. I've been in clinic for one week and I've felt so many nodes I could slap myself.

I'm proud to say I've 100% have gotten over my lymph node anxiety. I really hope this helps you too!

Yes you are right, the only online answers is either you have an infection or cancer. This is a very helpful post THANK YOU! :yesyes: