PDA

View Full Version : Some words of comfort...please

paranoid-viking
10-03-17, 12:09
My symptoms are getting worse. The pain around the ribs are not going away, now I have lower back pain, the pain right under the left side rib is still there; well; not really pain but discomfort. There is also a sligt ache in the upper back. Not going away:weep::weep:

I am sorry if I am annoying anyone here but I sit and cry. I feel this is the end of my life; that I am close to dying a horrible death very soon. I am scared of talking to my own family members about my horryfying fears.

Again, I am sorry to bother you here. Yesterday I also felt irritation on the right lower side of the stomach AFTER EATING. I am truly convinced my worst fears are about to materialise.

Capercrohnj
10-03-17, 12:16
Rib pain (both muscular and bone from injuries) is horrible and takes a while to go away.

Cakelady
10-03-17, 12:17
You're not annoying anyone, most of us have been there at some point. Sorry you feel so bad. Have you been to a doctor about your symptoms? You'll most likely find you are not dying & most likely anxiety making you feel worse. Please try to get some help, hoping you feel better soon xx

paranoid-viking
10-03-17, 12:20
Rib pain (both muscular and bone from injuries) is horrible and takes a while to go away.

It is not exrubiating(sic)pain, but it is tender to touch and irritated. And unfortunately I have read that it is the symptom of a death sentence.

---------- Post added at 13:20 ---------- Previous post was at 13:18 ----------

You're not annoying anyone, most of us have been there at some point. Sorry you feel so bad. Have you been to a doctor about your symptoms? You'll most likely find you are not dying & most likely anxiety making you feel worse. Please try to get some help, hoping you feel better soon xx

I am dialing my doctor at this precise moment actually.
How can I feel relaxed when I have read online that symptoms of the cancer I fear can come and go for one or two years before it flares up? nYes; I have read that and although my doc say it is not like that some victims testemonies says it is.

Ok, you are not annoyed but I get the impression that, um, two others posters DO get annoyed by my fears and are questioning my need for reasurance.

Cakelady
10-03-17, 12:40
I'm not, really feel for you feeling this way, I know how hard it is. Just want you to get better. Try not to get advice from the internet, can just make you feel worse. Hope you get on ok at the doctors xx

paranoid-viking
10-03-17, 13:01
Internet can be a curse sometimes.

Cakelady
10-03-17, 13:10
Tell me about it, don't think my h/a would be as bad if I didn't have internet...a little information is a bad thing! :doh:xx

Gary A
10-03-17, 13:23
Internet can be a curse sometimes.

Stop using it as a source of health related information, then. :shrug:

Kuatir
10-03-17, 13:29
After eating suggests digestive.

I wonder, do you take part in any hobbies? A bit of a tangent, but bear with me.

MyNameIsTerry
10-03-17, 14:57
There are people on the Internet who tell you that certain politicians are aliens trying to take over. Some are just trolls trying to scare people. Some are attaching two separate events together and claiming their cancer had come before.

I can remember one post someone here took from a cancer forum where the relative posting believed similiar symptoms over a couple of years meant the cancer stopped & started. But they offered no evidence of this at all other than symptoms which could have been attributed to many other things. That cancer sufferer will have had something else first and they are applying a bias to confirm what they wish to.

A doctor is trained to be objective and stay clear of bias.

Yes, there are slow growing cancers that take years. But you are worrying about one of the aggressive forms of cancer and these really don't appear to come & go because their symptoms are low grade types in the first place.

paranoid-viking
10-03-17, 16:34
After eating suggests digestive.

I wonder, do you take part in any hobbies? A bit of a tangent, but bear with me.

The anxiety and horror are deprieving me from practising hobbies.

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:25 ----------

There are people on the Internet who tell you that certain politicians are aliens trying to take over. Some are just trolls trying to scare people. Some are attaching two separate events together and claiming their cancer had come before.

I can remember one post someone here took from a cancer forum where the relative posting believed similiar symptoms over a couple of years meant the cancer stopped & started. But they offered no evidence of this at all other than symptoms which could have been attributed to many other things. That cancer sufferer will have had something else first and they are applying a bias to confirm what they wish to.

A doctor is trained to be objective and stay clear of bias.

Yes, there are slow growing cancers that take years. But you are worrying about one of the aggressive forms of cancer and these really don't appear to come & go because their symptoms are low grade types in the first place.

That is obvious, I mean really obvious. But these patient stories are from presumably reputable "awareness" organisations. Although of course it is the patients own stories, it is not written by MDs and some of these seem to contradict what is written about symptoms or even bring in other symptoms, like itching one the back and then it was gone for a year before it suddenly flared up. Wouldn`t that been on the symptom pages if that was symptoms? I dunno.

Anyway, tabloid media writing about ilness is something everyone should stay clear from. They are even producing fake news. Worst this week is the fake news surrounding George Michael`s obduction report claiming he died of FATTY LIVER! No he did not! No one dies from fatty liver! He died from a heart condition he had. He had a heart conditiont AND he had fatty liver. But the journo w*****s are writing he died from fatty liver which no doubt is a trigger for HA sufferers reading it. But if anyone is let me put it straight: fatty liver is not a disease, but it is a warning sign just like obesity is a warning sign and like obesity it is reversable with self effort. I know someone who had diagnosed fatty liver but because of that made a radical life style change and is now healthier than ever.

Back to the one about two seperate events; that is for sure. But since there is no evidence these two are not linked, although it is obvious they can sell this as "facts" in the scaremongering campaigns.

paranoid-viking
11-03-17, 12:28
When I woke up today I felt somehow better but after a cup of coffee i have some upper abdominal discomfort. I am scared of eating now. I am so scared:weep:

WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME??:scared15::scared15:

Gary A
11-03-17, 12:57
When I woke up today I felt somehow better but after a cup of coffee i have some upper abdominal discomfort. I am scared of eating now. I am so scared:weep:

WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME??:scared15::scared15:

Do you see what I was talking about the other day?

The reassurance is temporary, something else always comes up. It's entirely up to you what you do of course, but I really would advise you to try and break this reassurance seeking cycle and attempt to tackle your anxiety.

Coffee is notorious for causing a bit of stomach discomfort, especially if you drink it on an empty stomach. It's really nothing at all to worry about.

paranoid-viking
11-03-17, 13:00
I know. It has caused me discomfort in the past, but not in the upper stomach as far as I can remember. But maybe I am focusing too much on the stomach muscle in that area.

Gary A
11-03-17, 13:04
I know. It has caused me discomfort in the past, but not in the upper stomach as far as I can remember. But maybe I am focusing too much on the stomach muscle in that area.

Yes, that's exactly it. You're focusing on it too much, and by seeking reassurance about it you're simply giving it more attention.

If it remains a topic in your mind the symptoms will remain also. If you try to forget it, don't talk about it and generally ignore those thoughts, I would bet my life savings that this "symptom" will disappear.

paranoid-viking
11-03-17, 13:10
But I woke up this morning and felt better but the pain came at a moment when I was preoccupied with something else. I dunno....

Gary A
11-03-17, 13:28
But I woke up this morning and felt better but the pain came at a moment when I was preoccupied with something else. I dunno....

It was probably a minor bit of stomach discomfort caused by drinking coffee without eating. The problem is, though, that you have focused so much attention on the area and attached something horrible to it, that any slight twinge sets alarm bells ringing.

That type of thing happens to people several times a day, but because they aren't focusing on the area so much they barely notice it. If you keep telling yourself that it's something bad, you'll only notice it more and the cycle continues.

Try to chalk it up to a normal bodily function, distract yourself from it and try to relax.

MyNameIsTerry
11-03-17, 13:50
It's your reaction to symptoms. A minor ache becomes a major focus. The panic cycle starts off.

It's clear from the IBS thread as well. IBS is something many live with as an annoyance but your reaction showed fear of having it.

Learning to dial down reactions is key to escaping these cycles before they start. It takes time though, it goes against the fear system and how it naturally works really because fears are expected to remain so. This is why it's hard work and takes longer to eliminate one than to build one.

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:41 ----------

The anxiety and horror are deprieving me from practising hobbies.

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:25 ----------

That is obvious, I mean really obvious. But these patient stories are from presumably reputable "awareness" organisations. Although of course it is the patients own stories, it is not written by MDs and some of these seem to contradict what is written about symptoms or even bring in other symptoms, like itching one the back and then it was gone for a year before it suddenly flared up. Wouldn`t that been on the symptom pages if that was symptoms? I dunno.

Anyway, tabloid media writing about ilness is something everyone should stay clear from. They are even producing fake news. Worst this week is the fake news surrounding George Michael`s obduction report claiming he died of FATTY LIVER! No he did not! No one dies from fatty liver! He died from a heart condition he had. He had a heart conditiont AND he had fatty liver. But the journo w*****s are writing he died from fatty liver which no doubt is a trigger for HA sufferers reading it. But if anyone is let me put it straight: fatty liver is not a disease, but it is a warning sign just like obesity is a warning sign and like obesity it is reversable with self effort. I know someone who had diagnosed fatty liver but because of that made a radical life style change and is now healthier than ever.

Back to the one about two seperate events; that is for sure. But since there is no evidence these two are not linked, although it is obvious they can sell this as "facts" in the scaremongering campaigns.

Doctors can still make an educated guess in linking symptoms. If they haven't, I'm wary of the user story because they are essentially self diagnosing. A rare user story based on nothing from a medical professional is open to all sorts of bias and misperception.

If a user is reporting symptoms not known to be associated with a condition, again I'm wary of the validity of their story. The medical world is based on continuous updating and they would be reporting unusual symptoms.

Celebrity deaths always attract sensationalist stories and click bait assumption pieces. Unless a coroner is quoted, such stories are just tomorrow's chip paper or toilet paper for some.

paranoid-viking
11-03-17, 13:58
[QUOTE=MyNameIsTerry;1658185]It's your reaction to symptoms. A minor ache becomes a major focus. The panic cycle starts off.

It's clear from the IBS thread as well. IBS is something many live with as an annoyance but your reaction showed fear of having it.

]

[/COLOR]

/QUOTE]

Oh, but I am not afraid of having IBS. In fact I am hoping that is the cause for the pain. What I fear is deadly cancer, not IBS. I hope I have IBS.

Fishmanpa
11-03-17, 14:09
So let me get this straight.... You felt better this morning, had coffee, which is a known stomach irritant for many (and caffeine being lighter fluid for many anxiety sufferers) and surprise, surprise, you got stomach pain which you've had before from coffee and it's cancer? To top it off, you want to have IBS as an explanation to your pain? There are a dozen other minor issues that it can be (reflux etc.) that are far less troublesome and very treatable.

PVik... with respect, you're going around and around here and it's just getting you mired deeper and deeper. Granted, I'm on the outside looking in but I'm literally watching a train wreck happening in slow motion. I've seen the pattern here time and time again.

I hope you heed my advice in speaking with your therapist about your internet habits.

Good luck and as always...

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
11-03-17, 14:19
[QUOTE=MyNameIsTerry;1658185]It's your reaction to symptoms. A minor ache becomes a major focus. The panic cycle starts off.

]

[/COLOR]

/QUOTE]

Oh, but I am not afraid of having IBS. In fact I am hoping that is the cause for the pain. What I fear is deadly cancer, not IBS. I hope I have IBS.

I worded that poorly, but the reaction to a fairly minor bodily reaction shows the fear based focus is high. And trying to get anecdotal comparison is always a good sign of reassurance seeking, although obviously it's something many do without anxiety to but in your case it's to try to get a firm yes so it can't be the cancer you fear.

As stated by multiple people, you've consumed something that can have this type of effect. If you were further ahead in your recovery you would react less, rationalise more and move on quicker.

It being IBS, would it rule out that cancer or would your fear just find another cracking to exploit? Perhaps a "people had IBS like symptoms first" or "some of them have IBS too"?

paranoid-viking
12-03-17, 00:40
[QUOTE=paranoid-viking;1658193]

It being IBS, would it rule out that cancer or would your fear just find another cracking to exploit? Perhaps a "people had IBS like symptoms first" or "some of them have IBS too"?

That is an interesting point putting in perspective claims from those patients who claimed to have "on-and-off-cancer" for one por two years before diagnosis. They may actually believe it because of the shock over the diagnosis.

---------- Post added at 01:40 ---------- Previous post was at 00:24 ----------

So let me get this straight.... You felt better this morning, had coffee, which is a known stomach irritant for many (and caffeine being lighter fluid for many anxiety sufferers) and surprise, surprise, you got stomach pain which you've had before from coffee and it's cancer? To top it off, you want to have IBS as an explanation to your pain? There are a dozen other minor issues that it can be (reflux etc.) that are far less troublesome and very treatable.

PVik... with respect, you're going around and around here and it's just getting you mired deeper and deeper. Granted, I'm on the outside looking in but I'm literally watching a train wreck happening in slow motion. I've seen the pattern here time and time again.

I hope you heed my advice in speaking with your therapist about your internet habits.

Good luck and as always...

Positive thoughts

I HAVE acid reflux; in fact I have had it for years, and someone think my pains may be due to a worsened reflux; I have used nexium for 10 years by the way. Does reflux cause pain around the ribs?

Fishmanpa
12-03-17, 00:50
Does reflux cause pain around the ribs?

After my 2nd heart attack and before I started treatment, I had some really bad chest pains. It was radiating throughout my chest. Based on my history, off to the hospital I went. All tests were good. It was REFLUX! I had been taking Zantac 150 2x a day and chewing tums like candy. They put me on Protonix and it kicked it. Now, when I do get it (due to voluntarily eating something I shouldn't) I might need a swig of Mylanta but yeah... Reflux caused chest pain around the ribs and everywhere else in the abdominal area.

Positive thoughts