PDA

View Full Version : Still worried even though I know it's VERY far fetched

LF87
10-03-17, 13:26
Hi,
I posted a few weeks ago about my bf having a weird circular rash thing on his leg. The doctors said they weren't exactly sure what it was but that it was nothing serious and gave him some steroid cream. Anyway it's still there, albeit a bit less angry looking. I somehow got aids into my head from this rash appearance. I Googled hiv rash and apparently it's widespread, small itchy spots, not a localised rash like his. But I'm still not convinced. Now, he's come back from Spain from a mini boys holiday and he has a sore swollen groin, feels like a swollen lymph node. That's not my crazy anxiety diagnosis, it's his and he's not a health lunatic like myself. But as you can imagine I have linked it to my aids theory. I also read the aids rash appears 2-4 weeks after contracting the disease. We've been together 3 years and I know there's no unfaithful behavior. But then I got an even wilder theory that maybe I have been sexually assaulted by a taxi driver when drunk, and given me aids without me knowing. So it really gets more and more outrageous. My boyfriend isn't even worried about any of it, he thinks my aids idea is berserk.
He's going to the docs today but I'm freaking out. Also, he has 3 mosquito bites from being abroad, I read that can cause swollen nodes?
Any advice? Thanks x

Gary A
10-03-17, 13:28
Hi,
I posted a few weeks ago about my bf having a weird circular rash thing on his leg. The doctors said they weren't exactly sure what it was but that it was nothing serious and gave him some steroid cream. Anyway it's still there, albeit a bit less angry looking. I somehow got aids into my head from this rash appearance. I Googled hiv rash and apparently it's widespread, small itchy spots, not a localised rash like his. But I'm still not convinced. Now, he's come back from Spain from a mini boys holiday and he has a sore swollen groin, feels like a swollen lymph node. That's not my crazy anxiety diagnosis, it's his and he's not a health lunatic like myself. But as you can imagine I have linked it to my aids theory. I also read the aids rash appears 2-4 weeks after contracting the disease. We've been together 3 years and I know there's no unfaithful behavior. But then I got an even wilder theory that maybe I have been sexually assaulted by a taxi driver when drunk, and given me aids without me knowing. So it really gets more and more outrageous. My boyfriend isn't even worried about any of it, he thinks my aids idea is berserk.
He's going to the docs today but I'm freaking out. Also, he has 3 mosquito bites from being abroad, I read that can cause swollen nodes?
Any advice? Thanks x

Advice?

Yes, stop thinking you were raped by a phantom taxi driver who gave you aids.

I mean....seriously?

LF87
10-03-17, 13:36
No he's not phantom, he was a really creepy guy and I was in the taxi by myself. He was a black cab driver too, not like a registered company. Although there are loads of black cabs in town, I never think about getting in them instead of waiting for one of the other ones. He starting saying things like 'i like men and women ' and said some other weird crap about sex and I thought oh God he's a serial killer. That's what sobered me up, it was after a night out. I mean, I think I would remember if I was attacked right? It just stuck in my head because of the weird stuff he came out with. I keep thinking what spurred him to say that? And it's freaking me out

Gary A
10-03-17, 13:48
You can remember what he said but you think that the act of him raping you has somehow slipped your memory?

I'm sorry, but should you even need to ask if you'd remember such an event? This isn't even health anxiety, it's just silly to be honest.

LF87
10-03-17, 13:53
I know! I told my boyfriend this and he said whatever you do, please don't tell anyone else this theory, you sound like you've lost it :roflmao: I mean it's not funny really. I'm actually really concerned for my partner, he has had that rash a month or so now. Then this sore swollen groin thing has happened. But I'm thinking if the rash and groin swelling were related it would be simultaneous, not appearing a month after the rash appeared?

Bigboyuk
10-03-17, 15:22
It's not Aids ok :) Think though he should go to his dr at the very least to see what is causing it and my be just be a simple case of a course of tabs or cream. I know it's a male thing not to go to the drs but seems very stupid if he doesn't get it looked at. So have a word with him please. Cheers

---------- Post added at 15:22 ---------- Previous post was at 15:19 ----------

No he's not phantom, he was a really creepy guy and I was in the taxi by myself. He was a black cab driver too, not like a registered company. Although there are loads of black cabs in town, I never think about getting in them instead of waiting for one of the other ones. He starting saying things like 'i like men and women ' and said some other weird crap about sex and I thought oh God he's a serial killer. That's what sobered me up, it was after a night out. I mean, I think I would remember if I was attacked right? It just stuck in my head because of the weird stuff he came out with. I keep thinking what spurred him to say that? And it's freaking me out So where was you bf didn't he go out with you that night? Were you with friends? Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
10-03-17, 15:33
No he's not phantom, he was a really creepy guy and I was in the taxi by myself. He was a black cab driver too, not like a registered company. Although there are loads of black cabs in town, I never think about getting in them instead of waiting for one of the other ones. He starting saying things like 'i like men and women ' and said some other weird crap about sex and I thought oh God he's a serial killer. That's what sobered me up, it was after a night out. I mean, I think I would remember if I was attacked right? It just stuck in my head because of the weird stuff he came out with. I keep thinking what spurred him to say that? And it's freaking me out

Just a weirdo.

Your anxious mind is just trying to connect dots that aren't there. Pretty typical fear based thinking.

See it as just the subconscious providing "options" for the conscious mind to assess as whether having merit or yo be discounted.

This sounds like an intrusive thought scenario based on a source event that it can try to associate to a current worry. Of course, if you have OCD there is also the false memories theme but this sounds more like intrusive thoughts to me.

LF87
10-03-17, 17:18
He has had it looked at a few times by the docs, they said it was just a skin thing and gave him some cream. He's just been again today about his groin and apparently it's not a lymph node, it's a burst vein in his groin. He does wrestling and doesn't remember banging or hurting it but the doctor says that's what it is. She has had a full blood count down because he said he'd felt rubbish for a few weeks now. Obviously this has freaked me out but apparently she just said there's nothing to worry about but that he'd not had one done in so long he should just have a routine checkup. I'm panicking badly about this now even though I know FBC'S don't show aids.

He's not worried about any of it, says he's glad she's ordered blood tests cos he thinks he might be iron deficient or something. I however see it as a terrible thing. What do you guys think? Is that normal? I had FBC done a few years back because I kept getting a throat infection. All was normal. Do docs just do this as rule of thumb if someone is feeling peaky for a while?

Oh and ps yeah I had been out with friends and my bf, but he went home early and I stayed out. I lost my friends after going looking for my bag I thought I'd lost. It was so busy and by this point I was sick of it so just got a taxi home.

Gary A
10-03-17, 18:13
Sorry, it's still silly to think he might have aids because of something that clearly didn't even happen.

GP's give blood tests all the time, it's a daily routine. If he's complained about feeling rubbish then yes, they might well find an iron deficiency or something equally benign.

I understand that you as a health anxiety sufferer might dread his results, but I can assure you that one thing the won't find is the aids virus.

LF87
10-03-17, 19:08
Thanks Gary A, appreciate your replies :)

ErinKC
11-03-17, 04:50
It sounds like he has ringworm - a minor fungal infection that is extremely common, especially among athletes who are in locker rooms/in close contact with other people's skin. So, it makes 100% complete sense that, as a wrestler, he contracted that. The doc would have given him an anti-fungal cream. It's probably just a pesky infection that may need another round of the cream.

The groin thing is certainly whatever the doctor said since it's most likely an incredibly easy diagnosis. And, again, the wrestling fits even if he doesn't remember banging anything.

And, he most likely feels slightly unwell from overdoing it on a vacation with his friends.

None of these things are anything to worry about. In the US my doctor does a routine full blood count every year at my annual physical.

LF87
11-03-17, 11:13
Thanks ErinCk. We thought it was ringworm / fungal from the wrestling as well, but the doctors he's seen said it's definitely not that. They don't exactly know what it is, but have given him a strong steroid cream which seems to be helping. Because they couldn't say exactly what it was I started to think of aids. None of the doctors have even mentioned aids, but I just got it into my head that's what it is. But I've read about hiv rash and apparently it's widespread over the body, not a localised area like his.

I'm just hoping the blood results are normal so I can stop worrying. Does anyone know how long it takes to get results? I can't remember how long mine were.

Gary A
11-03-17, 11:16
Thanks ErinCk. We thought it was ringworm / fungal from the wrestling as well, but the doctors he's seen said it's definitely not that. They don't exactly know what it is, but have given him a strong steroid cream which seems to be helping. Because they couldn't say exactly what it was I started to think of aids. None of the doctors have even mentioned aids, but I just got it into my head that's what it is. But I've read about hiv rash and apparently it's widespread over the body, not a localised area like his.

I'm just hoping the blood results are normal so I can stop worrying. Does anyone know how long it takes to get results? I can't remember how long mine were.

Generally no longer than a week.

Bigboyuk
11-03-17, 11:26
The fact that the steroid cream is making a difference strongly suggests to me it's not Aids you need to get this thought out of your head other wise it will drive you crazy!! Cheers