PDA

View Full Version : Blood Test

ww1399
10-03-17, 19:50
I recently went to the ER for the flu and they took blood. I have a fear of leukemia. When they discharged me the doctor didn't say anything about the blood work, which was about an hour later.

Would they have made me stay if they saw something concerning in my blood? Or would they at least call within the past 5 days? From my understanding, they read your blood work while you're still at the hospital, but I'm having a hard time believing my blood was normal.

nomorepanic
10-03-17, 20:08
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Toaster
11-03-17, 00:12
I'm not a doctor. This is just all personal experience.

I also went to the ER for a flu. They took my blood for a Complete Blood Count which is probably the most common blood test. This test measures your white blood cell count, red blood cell count, and usually your platelets. It also typically measures a bunch of other metrics like cell size.

Leukemia comes from two Greek words meaning "white" and "blood". Its when there are too many white blood cells. If you had a CBC, which would be the logical blood test and the same I had, they would tell you if you had any abnormalities.

Also from personal experience, I know that they would tell you, because they told me my WBC count was double what it should have been and to see my doctor for follow up tests.