PDA

View Full Version : When you feel yourself slipping into an anxiety spell, how do you quickly get out?

Mav
11-03-17, 01:10
I was fine all day, infact I've been "fine" for a few weeks now. Just a little slip here and there.

All of sudden, I started fiddiling with my neck node, got my mum to feel my neck and she called me stupid and told me she couldn't feel anything. That helped.

But suddely just a rush of anxiety came back.

I'm trying to take some deep breaths and overcome this, I've been so good recently! I've studied so much without anxiety knocking my concentration. I've slept well and eaten well. i'm really proud and I don't want to fall down the rabbit hole again.

What do you do when you feel a slight wobble?

ErinKC
11-03-17, 01:18
With the help of my therapist I came up with a good list of things to do when I feel anxiety coming on:

(1) Stay off my computer to avoid the temptation to google.
(2) Switch from coffee to decaffeinated tea.
(3) Go to bed 2 hours earlier than normal for a few days (not getting enough sleep is a huge trigger for me).
(5) Get out of the house for as long as possible.
(4) Program a reminder into my phone to check in on whatever symptom I'm having in 2 weeks. If it's something real it will have gotten worse by then, but the most likely scenario is that it will be gone. Scheduling a time to worry about it frees me from obsessing constantly and falling into the anxiety pit.

A list like this will vary for everyone. But, having a set of concrete steps to take makes me feel like I'm more in control, which also help the anxiety settle.

Mav
11-03-17, 01:21
With the help of my therapist I came up with a good list of things to do when I feel anxiety coming on:

(1) Stay off my computer to avoid the temptation to google.
(2) Switch from coffee to decaffeinated tea.
(3) Go to bed 2 hours earlier than normal for a few days (not getting enough sleep is a huge trigger for me).
(5) Get out of the house for as long as possible.
(4) Program a reminder into my phone to check in on whatever symptom I'm having in 2 weeks. If it's something real it will have gotten worse by then, but the most likely scenario is that it will be gone. Scheduling a time to worry about it frees me from obsessing constantly and falling into the anxiety pit.

A list like this will vary for everyone. But, having a set of concrete steps to take makes me feel like I'm more in control, which also help the anxiety settle.

This is interesting, I must try this.

Fishmanpa
11-03-17, 01:40
This is interesting, I must try this.

As Yoda would say:

“Do. Or do not. There is no try.”

Positive thoughts

Mav
11-03-17, 01:47
As Yoda would say:

“Do. Or do not. There is no try.”

Positive thoughts

:roflmao:

ErinKC
11-03-17, 01:50
That one really helped me! 99% of the time I just laugh at myself when it goes off, having totally moved on from the worry.