PDA

View Full Version : Still worried about back pain

ta0271
12-03-17, 14:50
Sorry to keep posting about it, but I just can't seem to convince myself this is all just muscle tension. I've had daily lower back pain for over 3 months now. Whenever I sit for too long or bend in any direction it's like a painful stiffness. All around my hips and lower back.

I've been doing stretches and yoga, which help for a few minutes but then the stiffness comes back. When I walk or run, I have almost no pain at all. I don't know whether that's because of the activity or that I have good posture when exercising.

The pain is getting worse and starting to make me not want to do the things I used to enjoy. I'm a young guy in my 20s and I feel like I shouldn't have back pain like this. Has anyone else had similar pain that has any advice?

Thank you in advance

Fishmanpa
12-03-17, 15:05
You have a thread on this already and upon reading, I see you're studying medicine. The question arises, being that you're in a place that has resources and knowledge of medical and psychological conditions as well as experienced medical professionals to access, why you would seek the opinion of strangers on an anxiety site?... unless of course you recognize deep down this is an anxiety issue. Stress causes muscle tension. Muscle tension causes pain and stiffness. Keep doing what you're doing and also treat the underlying cause of your tension.

Ohhh and btw... you're in your 20's... just wait, it gets so much better as you get older ~lol~ There ain't a day that goes by that I'm not in some kind of pain ;)

Positive thoughts and body aches...

Annie0904
12-03-17, 16:07
Ohhh and btw... you're in your 20's... just wait, it gets so much better as you get older ~lol~ There ain't a day that goes by that I'm not in some kind of pain ;)

Positive thoughts and body aches...

Yes it certainly does, I am sitting here with a heat pad on my back trying to relieve at least some of my pains! :D

ta0271
12-03-17, 16:07
I think Im posting because I want to believe that it's an anxiety issue but the length of time and severity of the pain make me doubt it. And it's not like it flares up when I get particularly anxious, it's a daily problem whether I'm super busy that day or just sitting around dwelling on it. I guess I'm just looking to see if people have had symptoms of similar severity from their anxiety or if I may be dealing with something else here.

Annie0904
12-03-17, 16:09
Are you tall by any chance? I ask because taller people are more prone to back aches at a younger age. My son gets a lot of pain in his back and he is also in his 20's. I am a holistic therapist so he asks for a massage every time he comes home :)

ta0271
12-03-17, 16:13
I'm around 6 ft. I've had my girlfriend give me massages and they, like stretching, help for 15 minutes or so and then the stiffness comes right back.

Annie0904
12-03-17, 16:18
I would say 6ft is tall so I expect like most tall people you are more prone to them. Be aware of your posture when sitting and standing. Maybe a physiotherapist could help you or a qualified massage therapist.

ta0271
12-03-17, 22:41
So you all think that it's normal for someone with just anxiety to have pretty much constant, daily back pain that's relieved mainly by exercise and activity? It seems like muscle tension pain would be worse with activity instead of better.

I apologize if it seems like I keep asking the same questions over and over, I just want to be reassured that this is all normal for just muscle pain. The condition I worry about having really scares me so I'm trying as hard as I can to convince myself that this is all from stressed muscles.

Fishmanpa
12-03-17, 22:46
I just want to be reassured that this is all normal for just muscle pain.

If several pages of reassurance has not helped thus far, another post or ten pages of posts won't help either :(

Positive thoughts

ta0271
13-03-17, 00:10
I apologize. I really am trying to believe everybody. I've been working with my GP and started an SSRI a few days ago that I'm hoping will help me from fixating on this. I do appreciate everyone's help and the more people that have similar experiences the more comfortable I feel.

clarisse
13-03-17, 01:06
Hi. Just confirming it is what the others have said previously. This is just down to posture and tension. Try to accept that.:)

ta0271
13-03-17, 01:23
Thanks so much :) ironically, I've been trying to improve my posture and do lots of stretching and it's making the pain worse, hopefully in the short term!