PDA

View Full Version : Heart keeps feeling like its missing a beat

Jotia
14-03-17, 18:15
Heart worries are a first for me, I'm 17 so I would of thought I have a healthy heart but I have seen those adverts that are like "young people suddenly die from undiagnosed heart problems" so i can't help but worry. Today I keep getting this feeling like my heart suddenly skips a beat and then beats very strongly, its hard to explain but it makes my chest feel tight. This only happens when I'm sitting down. I'm really stressed at the moment over having my teeth removed and the pain still being there (might of seen my other post) so I have convinced my self my gum has got infected and the infection has traveled to my heart. Also had a similar feeling a few weeks back when I was worried about blood clots in my legs, kept feeling the same feeling while walking this time. I have been taking ibuprofen every 6 or so hours for the last 3 days so I'm not sure if this can cause it? I know it can be caused by anxiety but what if you are relaxed and not even anxious when it happens?

LG18
14-03-17, 18:59
Heart palpertations are a sure sign of anxiety, as you said you know about, but what about if you're relaxed?
Well, you won't be relaxed when you think you are is the most probable answer to that question.
You can get anxiety symptoms leading up to or preceding an anxiety attack.

Look up CBT therapy for OCD and anxiety. This is how you beat the constant panic. Realise that seeking reassurance is only a short term fix; Whst you need to do is learn to accept it.

Good luck!

Thelegend27
14-03-17, 19:15
People like to blame anxiety for heart palpitations, but i woll tell you its not always anxiety. I am 25 and ive had these skipped heart beats since i was about your age. Its not really a skipped beat although it feels like it skips, its really a premature heart beat, the heart beats too close to the original beat so therefore it doesnt beat at the moment it is supoose to which gives the heart more time to fill with blood and thats why you feel a pause and then followed by a stronger beat. It could be premature ventricular contraction, or premature atrial contraction, it depends on if the heart is throwing a premature beat from the top chambers (atrium) or lower chambers (ventricles) i will tell you that sometimes these are caused from a electrical problem within the heart, but they are rarely dangerous, i however after several years developed atrial fibrillation when i vomit which isn't very dangerous either since it doesnt happen often. Be prepared to deal with this for years to come because it may stick around as it did with me. And if its causing anxiety see your doctor. Also of you have chest pains, passing out, shortness of breath, or dizziness see your doctor.

bin tenn
14-03-17, 19:23
People like to blame anxiety for heart palpitations, but i woll tell you its not always anxiety. I am 25 and ive had these skipped heart beats since i was about your age. Its not really a skipped beat although it feels like it skips, its really a premature heart beat, the heart beats too close to the original beat so therefore it doesnt beat at the moment it is supoose to which gives the heart more time to fill with blood and thats why you feel a pause and then followed by a stronger beat. It could be premature ventricular contraction, or premature atrial contraction, it depends on if the heart is throwing a premature beat from the top chambers (atrium) or lower chambers (ventricles) i will tell you that sometimes these are caused from a electrical problem within the heart, but they are rarely dangerous, i however after several years developed atrial fibrillation when i vomit which isn't very dangerous either since it doesnt happen often. Be prepared to deal with this for years to come because it may stick around as it did with me. And if its causing anxiety see your doctor. Also of you have chest pains, passing out, shortness of breath, or dizziness see your doctor.

Agreed! Even people without any anxiety have palpitations. They're very normal. The problem with anxiety is that we NOTICE them.