PDA

View Full Version : Advice after a doctors visit.

LG18
14-03-17, 19:12
Hi.

So I went to see the doctor today regarding my worry of some sort of throat tumour (nasopharyngeal was the main worry) after a week of constant stress and anxiety.

Whenever I do a "chin tuck" I get a pain in my ear and a crackling, along with some tightening of neck muscles, and I was convinced this was some sort of tumour causing pain when I did the movement.

The doctor said there was nothing untoward with my glands and that I was fine.
That I was healthy and it wouldn't even be worth doing even a simple blood test.
He said the pain could be to do with nearby muscles or the TMJ joint, but that basically it was nothing to worry about.

I've been trying to get myself into the normal pattern people without health anxiety think in.
I'd imagine that would be, "I've had a pain, went to DR, he said it was nothing to worry about so I'll forget about it".

With health anxiety, though, we have this impossibility to trust the doctors most of the time.
The "well I know my body better" or "he/she MUST have missed something" sets in.

Right now, I'm in the blissful period of being reassured, but I know it won't last.

I ask those of you that have overcome HA what should I do now?
I know The fear and doubt is going to set in soon.

I want to get better from this.

Thank you

Fishmanpa
14-03-17, 19:15
You need some tools to help you better battle the dragon when he rears his ugly head again and he will, just as you said. Therapy (CBT etc.) and/or meds are the best way to get those tools in your belt.

Positive thoughts

LG18
14-03-17, 19:48
You need some tools to help you better battle the dragon when he rears his ugly head again and he will, just as you said. Therapy (CBT etc.) and/or meds are the best way to get those tools in your belt.

Positive thoughts

Indeed. I know of CBT and that it's the way to get rid of it.
I've done it in the past with other compulsions. It's just so difficult with this because the worry the worst case scenario - imminent death.

It's like I always end up feeling thstndoing the therapy and letting the thoughts pass is waiting for something terrible to carry on growing and developing.
I've had this tumour worry with my glands and neck for six months now.

Thanks

Fishmanpa
14-03-17, 19:56
That's why I suggested meds as well. At least give your brain a rest from the constant racing thoughts to help you better concentrate on techniques.

When I was dealing with some depression and "scanxiety" after my cancer, I had a "chill pill" that definitely took the edge off and it really did help until I got my feet back under me.

Positive thoughts

LG18
14-03-17, 20:06
That's why I suggested meds as well. At least give your brain a rest from the constant racing thoughts to help you better concentrate on techniques.

When I was dealing with some depression and "scanxiety" after my cancer, I had a "chill pill" that definitely took the edge off and it really did help until I got my feet back under me.

Positive thoughts

Right, Maybe I should consider that then.

Do the pills they'd normally prescribe have any awful side effects?
No doubt my anxiety would latch onto the very fact I was taking the pills haha

Fishmanpa
14-03-17, 20:34
Right, Maybe I should consider that then.

Do the pills they'd normally prescribe have any awful side effects?
No doubt my anxiety would latch onto the very fact I was taking the pills haha

It depends on the med and the person and everyone is different. Personally, I didn't have an issue (a dodgy tummy at worst) when I took them. My daughter is on meds and had to go through three before she found one that worked. Yeah, she struggled with the ramp up and cross tapering but she's doing great now (she's in therapy too). Some have some increased anxiety/symptoms but the way I figure it, you already feel like crap so what's the difference? If you feel crappier for a few weeks more while they kick in, it's worth it right? It's definitely worth a conversation with your doctor to discuss the options. And it doesn't have to be long term. They were the crutch I needed so I could get back on my feet.

Positive thoughts

LG18
14-03-17, 21:47
It depends on the med and the person and everyone is different. Personally, I didn't have an issue (a dodgy tummy at worst) when I took them. My daughter is on meds and had to go through three before she found one that worked. Yeah, she struggled with the ramp up and cross tapering but she's doing great now (she's in therapy too). Some have some increased anxiety/symptoms but the way I figure it, you already feel like crap so what's the difference? If you feel crappier for a few weeks more while they kick in, it's worth it right? It's definitely worth a conversation with your doctor to discuss the options. And it doesn't have to be long term. They were the crutch I needed so I could get back on my feet.

Positive thoughts

Right I see. I'll definetly look into that then, thank you.