PDA

View Full Version : Just googled anesthesia/ boy/ complications

barbp4
15-03-17, 17:38
omg - I just googled general anesthesia and up popped a story about a 4 year old boy who dies being put under general anesthesia

I didn't read beyond the story title
help!

Fishmanpa
15-03-17, 18:01
STEP AWAY FROM THE INTERNET!

Millions and millions of people go under general anesthesia daily for various reasons with no issue. You search and find something to latch onto and scare you. Just tell the dentist your fears and they'll take care of you.

Positive thoughts

Lukas
15-03-17, 19:05
I agree with Fishman stay away from the internet it doesn't do any good,
complications are highly unlikely like 1 in 700 thousand, if you find something you'll just latch onto it and fixate over it x

Gary A
15-03-17, 19:16
"I've stupidly and irresponsibly Googled my way into utterly irrational paranoia, please help me."

:lac:

Cakelady
15-03-17, 20:26
Oh no evil Dr Google strikes again:scared15:Honestly you'll be fine, very best wishes xx

Drisque
15-03-17, 21:55
Bad Move! I've done this for almost every medical procedure I've had.....not a good idea

---------- Post added at 16:55 ---------- Previous post was at 16:50 ----------

"I've stupidly and irresponsibly Googled my way into utterly irrational paranoia, please help me."

:lac:

I often see your comments on health related threads, and wonder if you really think they're helpful.

Gary A
15-03-17, 22:20
Bad Move! I've done this for almost every medical procedure I've had.....not a good idea

---------- Post added at 16:55 ---------- Previous post was at 16:50 ----------

I often see your comments on health related threads, and wonder if you really think they're helpful.

That particular one wasn't helpful, wasn't really intended to be. More of a telling off I suppose.

Dave1
16-03-17, 04:11
If an item makes the news then it has to be a rare event to be newsworthy. So if you can find a news item like 'boy dies after anaesthetic' you've proved anaesthesia must be really safe!

MyNameIsTerry
16-03-17, 05:18
Anaesthesia is always a concern, that's why you have a whole range of questions about your health, checks to ensure you are fit on the day and a highly skilled anaesthetist sitting there monitoring you all the way through an operation.

Like anything in the health world, certain demographics are more prone to complications e.g. children, old people, those with chronic illnesses, small animals, etc. But what you also have to think about is that they have been doing this for centuries and how many millions a year go through it?