PDA

View Full Version : What is normal after a tooth extraction?

fruitandnutlover
15-03-17, 22:08
Yesterday I had a back molar removed.

Last year I had a root canal on a different tooth and the toothache I got from that was awful, so I am really on edge at the thought of getting a dry socket from this extraction.

So far I have done everything I should (not rinsing too harshly, eating soft foods/soup, keeping up with pain relief and today I've started gentle salt water rinses)

But I'm getting paranoid (and annoying husband with constant whinging) that I am either getting an infection or dry socket.

Today there is a horrid taste and its giving me bad breath. I also notice white stuff keeps appearing on the site of the extraction, I am worrying its food and going to cause an infection but don't want to start poking about to try to remove it incase I make it worse.

Does anyone know if this is all normal? I'm going to ring the dentist tomorrow.

ErinKC
15-03-17, 22:49
I'd just keep up with the salt water rinse. This will keep it clean. I've had 7 teeth pulled in my life and never had an infection. Our bodies are very good at fending off infection.

The bad taste is probably just dried blood from the site of the extraction or some plaque that got rustled up from places it was previously stuck between the tooth that was extracted. I'd give the dentist a call just to check in, but wouldn't be too worried.

Cakelady
15-03-17, 22:59
I second that the salt rinse is good. I have had a few extractions, I had a minor infection with the last one but it was a difficult extraction & had a little bit tooth still working its way out( freaked me out but apparently it happens!) Anyway think there's always a bit of an odd taste after you get a tooth out but if its worrying you I'd give dentist a call :) xx