PDA

View Full Version : Scared of cervical cancer??

Melcattt
15-03-17, 23:08
Okay so I'm in panic mode and freaking out if I have either ovarian or cervical cancer. For the past few days, I've been having spotting and a very mild cramp in my right pelvic area. I've had this cramp before and I went for an ultrasound and was told that I had a really small cyst that ruptured. Anyways, I am on birth control pills and have been since I was 15, I'm now 20. I've only spotted possible 2-3 times during each day and it ranges from dark brown to regular blood (sorry TMI). I've heard that BC can help aid in preventing ovarian cancer and that you can wait around 5 years between paps. I had my first one when I was 16 and got the clear. I went last year just for a mild exam and my doctor said that my cervix looked completely fine. I'm just scared that I'm having this bleeding a week before my period. I haven't gotten the gardasil vaccine yet but I really need to. I'm just so scared, what if I really do have some sort of cancer??? :unsure: I've had spotting before but idk if for this long. I'm really hoping that my ovarian cycle is just being super funky due to hormones or something, not the big C :(

snowghost57
15-03-17, 23:58
Having your annual pap smear will detect any cellular change before it advances to cancer. That's the purpose of the test. As long as your test are normal then there is nothing to worry about. If you still have doubts you should talk to your doctor. I have never heard of going 5 years without a pap smear, I'm in the US so maybe its different where you are. Since you are cramping and spotting, only a doctor will be able to answer your questions.

PASchoolSyndrome
16-03-17, 00:03
Not to worry you anymore, but Paps have nothing to do with ovarian cancer. Purely cervical. Yes, OCPs have shown to be protective against against ovarian cancer but that does not indicate you should stop routine pap screening.

You are extremely young, and hormones causing spotting is so common, you are grasping at straws worrying about cancer.

If it persists or continues to worry you, ask your doctor and she'll decide if further evaluation is needed. Best of luck!

snowghost57
16-03-17, 00:12
Not to worry you anymore, but Paps have nothing to do with ovarian cancer. Purely cervical. Yes, OCPs have shown to be protective against against ovarian cancer but that does not indicate you should stop routine pap screening.

You are extremely young, and hormones causing spotting is so common, you are grasping at straws worrying about cancer.

If it persists or continues to worry you, ask your doctor and she'll decide if further evaluation is needed. Best of luck!

PASchool, you are right, I missed the ovarian cancer part. I agree she is to young to worry about cancer. Another thing about the pill is that it must be taken at the same time every day, that will cause spotting. A doctor is the only one that can really help you at this point. And don't look things up on the internet.

GlassPinata
16-03-17, 02:00
Okay so I'm in panic mode and freaking out if I have either ovarian or cervical cancer. For the past few days, I've been having spotting and a very mild cramp in my right pelvic area. I've had this cramp before and I went for an ultrasound and was told that I had a really small cyst that ruptured. Anyways, I am on birth control pills and have been since I was 15, I'm now 20. I've only spotted possible 2-3 times during each day and it ranges from dark brown to regular blood (sorry TMI). I've heard that BC can help aid in preventing ovarian cancer and that you can wait around 5 years between paps. I had my first one when I was 16 and got the clear. I went last year just for a mild exam and my doctor said that my cervix looked completely fine. I'm just scared that I'm having this bleeding a week before my period. I haven't gotten the gardasil vaccine yet but I really need to. I'm just so scared, what if I really do have some sort of cancer??? :unsure: I've had spotting before but idk if for this long. I'm really hoping that my ovarian cycle is just being super funky due to hormones or something, not the big C :(

Highly unlikely you'd have any type of cancer at your age. Go to the doctor to resolve this (nonmalignant) problem.

best wishes.

Melcattt
16-03-17, 03:03
Thank you to everyone that replied! I'm pretty doubtful about the cervical but still have some worries. My bf is trying to calm me down saying that I always spot and always worry when it happens lol. I haven't had my pap in 5 bc Arizona changed the laws since cervical rates are so low that they increased the age requirement :huh: