PDA

View Full Version : Worried about meningitis/brain eating amoeba

Eventhesparrows
16-03-17, 00:27
This morning I woke up with a headache just above my right eyebrow. It went away on it's own after about 2 hours. A little while later I began to experience pretty bad body aches and a tension-type headache. I took tylenol around noon, but it didn't help at all. I took 750mg. I took my temperature and didn't have a fever. Then around 3:45pm I decided I was going to take a hot bath and lay down in bed. So I did. While in bed I was under a lot of covers. Upon awakening, about an hour and fifteen minutes later, I still have a dull headache, lots of pressure and I felt a couple of "pops" high up inside my nose....but I'm not congested at all. Also, I have a fever of 101.6

The body aches are still pretty bad and I'm concerned because I don't have any other symptoms. My symptoms are literally bad body aches and a pretty bad headache. No congestion, no sore throat, ect. I'm really worried for meningitis or even a Naegleria fowleri infection - brain eating amoeba. I haven't been swimming, but I think I may have gotten indoor dust up my nose the other day, and that's what I'm concerned about. I can touch my chin to my chest, but my head and neck are really aching. Also, nobody in our house has been sick for a few weeks now.

Gosh I'm so scared!!

---------- Post added at 18:27 ---------- Previous post was at 18:26 ----------

And my temperature is rising. a half hour ago it was 101.3

Fishmanpa
16-03-17, 00:30
Flu.... feel better soon...

Positive thoughts

Eventhesparrows
16-03-17, 00:31
Doesn't the flu present with other symptoms? Like congestion and sore throat?

Fishmanpa
16-03-17, 00:34
Well... it can present many ways but not a brain tumor/brain eating amoeba or meningitis. Feel better soon...

Positive thoughts

snowghost57
16-03-17, 01:33
Sounds to me you have some kind of sinus infection, with a fever and headache. You don't necessarily have to drainage or a sore throat. Go to the doctor. Never heard of a brain eating amoeba and I don't think you can even feel a brain tumor.

ErinKC
16-03-17, 01:36
I agree that it sounds like the flu. The flu comes on fast like that, and usually starts with body aches and fever, if I'm not mistaken. I'd call your doctor tomorrow because they can test for the flu by swabbing your nose and give you an anti-viral if you have it that significantly curbs the symptoms/shortens the sickness.

KristieHollins
16-03-17, 12:13
This morning I woke up with a headache just above my right eyebrow. It went away on it's own after about 2 hours. A little while later I began to experience pretty bad body aches and a tension-type headache. I took tylenol around noon, but it didn't help at all. I took 750mg. I took my temperature and didn't have a fever. Then around 3:45pm I decided I was going to take a hot bath and lay down in bed. So I did. While in bed I was under a lot of covers. Upon awakening, about an hour and fifteen minutes later, I still have a dull headache, lots of pressure and I felt a couple of "pops" high up inside my nose....but I'm not congested at all. Also, I have a fever of 101.6

The body aches are still pretty bad and I'm concerned because I don't have any other symptoms. My symptoms are literally bad body aches and a pretty bad headache. No congestion, no sore throat, ect. I'm really worried for meningitis or even a Naegleria fowleri infection - brain eating amoeba. I haven't been swimming, but I think I may have gotten indoor dust up my nose the other day, and that's what I'm concerned about. I can touch my chin to my chest, but my head and neck are really aching. Also, nobody in our house has been sick for a few weeks now.

Gosh I'm so scared!!

---------- Post added at 18:27 ---------- Previous post was at 18:26 ----------

And my temperature is rising. a half hour ago it was 101.3

You had a hot bath and then went to bed under a lot of covers...that could be the reason for waking with a temperature.

That said, when get a sore neck I can pretty much guarantee that within the next 24/48 hours I will come down with flu.

Eventhesparrows
17-03-17, 23:21
Well, it turns out none of us were right. I have an infected cyst, according to urgent care. I was prescribed antibiotics last night, and this morning woke up with another painful cyst near the same area...Plus a cold sore because I've had a fever the past two days. Lovely.

And because I had a cold sore the end of December/beginning of January, AND another one out of the blue February 9th, my mind is feeling with fears of a lowered immune system/frequent infections - I.e. Leukemia, lymphoma, and the like

Oy vey!

swajj
17-03-17, 23:40
It's good that you went to the doctor. Not everything should be put down to anxiety. If people are having symtoms then their first port of call should be the doctor. If the doctor believes that the symptoms require further investigation the further investigation is warranted. If, however, the doctor doesn't believe that is necessary then people should trust the doctor's diagnosis. So what did your doctor say?

Eventhesparrows
18-03-17, 00:18
Doc said it's an infected cyst, and to take antibiotics. Didn't talk to them about the previous cold sores.

Fishmanpa
18-03-17, 00:24
It's good that you went to the doctor. Not everything should be put down to anxiety.

No one said it was anxiety. Everyone said it wasn't meningitis or a brain eating amoeba and we were right.

Positive thoughts

swajj
18-03-17, 01:13
Yes I got that Fish. My comments were more to do with why you would come to an anxiety forum to get help with suspected meningitis.

Fishmanpa
18-03-17, 01:20
Yes I got that Fish. My comments were more to do with why you would come to an anxiety forum to get help with suspected meningitis.

For the same reasons most come here to get reassurance they don't have _______ (fill in the blank).

Positive thoughts

swajj
18-03-17, 01:25
I guess I'm a little different. I have never come here for advice on whatever illness I've suspected I had. I drove the doctor crazy instead. lol

Fishmanpa
18-03-17, 01:31
I guess I'm a little different. I have never come here for advice on whatever illness I've suspected I had. I drove the doctor crazy instead. lol

Poor Doctor! ~lol~

Positive thoughts

swajj
18-03-17, 01:41
He's retired now. I wonder if he thinks about me? lol