PDA

View Full Version : Scared I have ALS..

Bethany 95
16-03-17, 11:52
I recently posted about a fear of MS, but now that fear has shifted to ALS. The main thing that makes me fear ALS is that I have had a constant feeling of weakness in both of my legs. It hasn't affected my ability to walk, but when I'm standing or walking my legs often feel as though they are wobbly and just want to collapse. This feeling happened suddenly in mid January, and hasn't really gone away since. I've also noticed that I do get occasional twitches in my calves, feet, or hands.

In January when this first happened, I thought I was just having an anxiety attack, this caused my anxiety to get really bad. As I mentioned in my other post, there was a period of 3 weeks where I didn't eat at all and I hardly left my bed. I am eating now, but still only like one meal a day, and I'm still not really moving around that much. I'm hoping that maybe it was an anxiety attack at first, but my poor diet and lack of activity just made it stick around. But, my mind is trying to tell me that it's ALS. Thoughts?

Fishmanpa
16-03-17, 11:57
Please read THIS! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=196071)

Positive thoughts

Sixpack
16-03-17, 12:01
My thoughts are that your anxiety is LYING TO YOU and you are listening to the lies.

I also agree with fishmanpa. Read the link he posted. It is all about people jumping to ALS for no rational reason.

Kuatir
16-03-17, 12:08
Read Fishmanpa's link!

Also do you not think that, on top of the anxiety, not eating correctly might make you feel weak?

Bethany 95
16-03-17, 12:21
Read Fishmanpa's link!

Also do you not think that, on top of the anxiety, not eating correctly might make you feel weak?

I did consider that, yes. The main reason why I was worried was because the leg weakness came on suddenly before I stopped eating properly and just hasn't really gone away since.

Kuatir
16-03-17, 12:22
OK, well as suggested...Fishmanpa's link (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=196071)

tryingtosurvive1
19-03-17, 01:33
ALS doesn't involve tingling, which I noticed is one of your symptoms.
Can you go to the doctor though? You may be a bit malnourished. Your anxiety also sounds severe. Your GP/PCP can do some basic neurological tests to set your mind at rest, but more importantly can do some blood tests to make sure you aren't anemic, etc. You may want a referral to a counselor.

Rellie73
19-03-17, 02:18
I think it is common to jump from MS to ALS fears. I have suffered from HA for many, many years - MS was the first illness I really started stressing over. I have had lots of ALS 'freak outs' also - the latest of which was as recent as a couple of weeks ago. I think you just have to keep in mind is that ALS is not feeling rather 'failing' at being able to do things (I read that quote on here). So if you suddenly can't stand on your toes, or walk without stumbling then this would be a concern - but feelings of 'jelly' legs, perceived weakness etc can be brought on by HA (in my opinion).

tryingtosurvive1
19-03-17, 02:27
definitely.
Also people with ALS in beginning often feel normal enough that they can't believe they have ALS. I've learned this from the internet. Whereas around this forum people get told 1000X they *don't* have ALS but are convinced they have it because they feel so wobbly!

seriously though, please eat something! I'm concerned about you--not because I think you are physically ill with a progressive neurological illness but because you are miserable with anxiety and having trouble with self-care.