PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle panic

a.j
16-03-17, 17:21
Hi, first time on here & thought I'd share this. As an anxiety sufferer I get all the usual symptoms, I'm getting adrenaline rushes now as I type because of opening up my problem to people. I've tried setraline (didn't work) & 'calms' (just get drowsy) so it's back to the doctor next week.

Anyway...

Up to about 6 years back I had no fear whatsoever when riding, but since I have started suffering anxiety it's been hell. It started on motorways no wanting to overtake lorries because of the backdraught off the trucks, it's got worse over time & now I avoid motorways altogether which isn't much fun when you're riding with a group & they don't have this issue. But now it's got so bad I won't go over 30 mph in the rain, if it's stopped raining but the roads are wet I can get up to about 45 mph, on perfect sunny days I'll sit on a dual carriageway at roughly 55-60 but I get the odd ''sharp intake of breath moment'' and ''Jelly arms'' where it feels like I'm going to lose control completely for no reason at all. Does anyone else ride & suffer or have suffered this?

Cheers

Andy

snowghost57
16-03-17, 19:06
I rode when I was younger and lost my nerve as I got older. Dunno if it's the fear of dying as I got older or having kids that I need to take care of. On the other hand, I ride horses and I enjoy jumping them. I could just as easily break my neck doing that but I enjoy it so much I don't think about it. I don't have much advice in regards to how to overcome this anxiety. Wish you the best.

Mpower7
16-03-17, 19:17
Hello and Welcome!
I suffer anxiety and also motorcycles are my main hobby, judging from your description I would stay clear from getting onto a motorbike.
Your head should be clear as they demand so much care and attention when riding. I found myself riding once with anxiety and you cannot focus clearly on the ride, you are easily distracted and this can lead to target fixation and on bike so you end up going where you look.
I personally only go on mine if I feel good , clear headed I don't enjoy it when my minds on other things.
Maybe wait until you get further advice / medication and hopefully will get you back on the right track!

Bigboyuk
16-03-17, 19:34
Hi Yeah While I don't panic as such when I have come off my bike it knocks you for six it takes me ages to want to ride again and now take round abouts a lot slower then I used to do as there is nothing worse than coming off your bike even at 30 MPH :eeK: What bikes do you Guys have? :) What I like about bikers they all stick together and help each other which is so cool I remember some years back I had run out of petrol late at night and was quite a walk to a petrol station but this biker on a much bigger bike than mine actually stopped and took me on the back of his bike to the petrol station and I had to buy a plastic can from the garage got some fuel and he took me back to my bike and even offered him some money he said no and said he was glad to help :yesyes: So grateful

Mpower7
16-03-17, 19:41
The strange thing is I find riding motorbikes great for anxiety but you have to be in the right frame of mind in the first place to benefit.
I have a 2012 cbr1000rr Fireblade and love some nice spirited rides on a Sunday around Wales, when the weathers good you cannot beat it!

Bigboyuk
16-03-17, 19:45
The strange thing is I find riding motorbikes great for anxiety but you have to be in the right frame of mind in the first place to benefit.
I have a 2012 cbr1000rr Fireblade and love some nice spirited rides on a Sunday around Wales, when the weathers good you cannot beat it! You certainly do :) And that's some beast you have there mate ;) I feel a little inferior now only have a 125cc Motorini still get 70MPH out of her lol :) Cheers

fishman65
17-03-17, 23:26
Hi Andy, I've never owned a motorbike but in the late 90s/early 2000s I can remember feeling panicky about overtaking other vehicles in my car. It would be 'what if I panic when I'm actually overtaking in the fast lane?' Strangely it passed and have never had it since. Now I've typed that I've probably jinxed myself :huh:

a.j
30-08-18, 16:24
Hi, back again after 1 & a half years.

There's been no improvement. I've been on escitalopram at 5mg for a year, then up to 10 mg, now at 20.

Rode in dry weather at 40-45 ok, not so good downhill as I have a fear of losing the handlebars & going over, and back in the pouring rain down to about 5-20mph. My arms turned to jelly it was horrible, huge intakes of breath, it feels exactly like it does when someone makes you jump & scares the living crap out of you. Will the escitalopram at 20mg calm me down in all scenario's including riding my motorbike? I've been at this dose of 20 mg for a fortnight.

It's ruining my social life as I want to ride a lot!

Cheers

Andy

Phill2
31-08-18, 01:44
I like to jump on my Zx1100 and give her a handful just to relax.