PDA

View Full Version : Costochondritis and bad posture anyone?

Kb97
17-03-17, 00:31
I'm sure this silly little thing is what has been causing most of my heart worries lately. I'm putting this post out to find others who suffer from costochondritis solo or specifically people who have bad posture with it (I've had absolutely terrible posture since I was a toddler). Even people with bad posture that have bad chest pains, muscle spasms near the top left torso etc. Would be nice to see that I'm not alone as it's driving me insane!

blindfaith
17-03-17, 01:31
Hi Kb97

Sorry to hear about your bad posture. It is a very painful thing to deal with.

I was diagnosed with costochondritis when I was about 25 years old. I also have arthritis of the neck and spine. My c5,6 and 7 are bad. I have herniated at T10 and T11. Your thoracic spine is what connects to your rib cage.
I have scoliosis, chiari malformation and arthritis in my right ribs also. My chest bone is actually pushed out from my spine being so crooked.

Costochondritis is known for left sided pain, but it can also be felt on the right side. I get terrible pain. Takes your breath away. But it can heal. If it is possible, watch your posture and take it easy, I hope you find relief :flowers:

snowghost57
17-03-17, 02:15
Is it possible to improve your posture by seeing a physical therapist? I don't know much about your condition. Have you sought professional medical treatment?

ODA_555
17-03-17, 04:55
I got diagnosed with this a few weeks ago. I don't have bad posture but I do a LOT of heavy powerlifting.

almamatters
17-03-17, 10:03
I have costochondritis which was diagnosed a few years ago, I also have bad posture, this is not due to the costo but my posture does make my pain worse. I developed bad posture years ago, pretty sure it's down to anxiety and feeling shy and insecure when i was younger. The physio has helped me by giving me tips to improve posture and to learn to relax my muscles.
My costo comes in flares, I can be ok for months and then all of a sudden start to get the pain and it lasts for ages sometimes. I also get the swellings on my rib cage which are a symptom of a variation of costo.

I used to always apply heat to my chest when the pain started but then I found that applying cold compresses instead seemed to work a bit better.

Hope you are feeling ok.

Sean Yaxley
13-04-17, 19:42
Sorry to hear about your condition Kb, my buddy has the same problem but he's quite a fit guy and actually works to keep his posture in good order. Obviously there are a ton of issues that can arise from bad posture so you could look to improve yours perhaps? You could visit a physical therapist as snowghost suggested but there are things you can do at home which can help. Have a look here (http://www.getcorrectposture.com/) for starters and see how you get on. Sounds to me like you're actively trying to maintain your posture so hopefully you get on well :)