PDA

View Full Version : Mom has cancer

Librella
18-03-17, 00:24
Warning: this deals with a real health issue, may be triggering

A few weeks ago my mom passed out and went to the ER. After many tests, it turned out that she had a pelvic tumor. That was bad enough, but the biopsy results revealed that she has an extremely rare bone cancer. It has already spread to her liver. Because of the demands on the hospital she hasn't even started treatment yet. The doctors don't know much about this disease. I suspect that she hasn't told me everything, she acts like it's curable but I feel like she's lying and it's terminal. (might be HA talking.)

My dad had cancer two years ago. That was less serious, stage 1 and got rid of it with radiation. However, it increased my anxiety about my parents' mortality, and also made my own HA skyrocket. The year after he was diagnosed was the worst year I ever had for HA and I'm still dealing with it. I know it sounds selfish to worry about stupid fake medical problems when my dad really had cancer, but that's how my brain dealt with it.

So now he's finally recovered and my mom has cancer instead. The first few days after I found out I felt sick with anxiety. Now I just feel numb. I'm really close with my parents and they were there for me when I felt like I had no friends because of social anxiety. I realize I have to lose them sometime but I don't know how to deal with it. I live several states away and can't be there in person so that makes it harder. My mom keeps telling me "the best thing you can do is keep being happy," but I wasn't that happy in the first place? :huh:

Due to the social anxiety I'm bad at reaching out, I feel like I should get therapy about this but not sure where to start.

ErinKC
18-03-17, 01:32
I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's something that would be difficult for anyone, anxiety or not. Therapy would probably be very helpful for you.

If you don't know anyone who can recommend a therapist, Psychology Today has an excellent search tool that allows you to find therapists by your zip code.

https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/?utm_source=PT_Psych_Today&utm_medium=House_Link&utm_campaign=PT_TopNavF_Therapist

I hope your mom is ok!!

ChildOfTheKing
18-03-17, 03:33
I'm so sorry. Praying for your family. Hang in there Hun and feel free to message anytime.

Thelegend27
19-03-17, 03:37
I'm really sorry to hear your family have received such bad news. But alot of cancers are curable, some have a very low cure rate but there's still a chance. I would wait and get all the details and try not to stress so much because your mom needs support now more than ever.

My grandmother developed a rare form of brain cancer which took her life around 5 months after diagnoses we had very little time to prepare and i was only 17 so i was unaware of the severity of the situation but it was a tough one seeing my grandma go through such a hard time. Her form of cancer was not hereditary and luckily my family doesn't have a history of cancer. But since your mom and dad both have been diagnosed with cancer you should make yourself aware of the possible symptoms anf get a regular check up. A cbc can tell a lot about your overall health so be sure to get one of those often. Im not saying you're at high risk or anything but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

As for your mother, i knew a young girl who had bone cancer and she pulled through it just fine, even when cancer spreads (metastasis) its still curable although the ure rate drops further and further the more it spreads. Good luck and i dont know if you believe in God but I'll be sure to say a prayer for your mother. Be sure to comfort her because it is a very stressful time shes about to face.

Librella
19-03-17, 21:04
Thank you all for the words of encouragement and prayers.