PDA

View Full Version : Worried!

GlassPinata
18-03-17, 02:03
My 4 year old has bumped his head twice today. Once at school, on the wooden playscape, and once just a few minutes ago, in the playscape at Burger King, he bumped heads very hard with another child. He has a lump on his forehead.

Tomorrow morning he has to go to his dad's for the weekend, and I won't see him again until Monday morning, so i can't even monitor him over the weekend.
I texted his dad to let him know about the head bumps, but he pretty much blew me off. he NEVER thinks anything is wrong, even when something really is.
I am going to have a miserable, wretched weekend worrying about my baby.

I keep telling myself, the bumps weren't hard enough to cause a concussion. He cried both times, but only for a minute, and then ran off and started playing again.
He's acting normal now, but I know a concussion can take between 24 and 72 hours to show symptoms.
I wouldn't be so worried if he was going to be here with me, but he's going to be away from me for the next two days. :weep:
I'm so worried right now.

Clydesdale Epona
18-03-17, 02:28
The bumps don't sound too hard so I sure he'll be fine besides if he started throwing up and or getting really dizzy i'm sure his dad would take him to the doctors but even if he had a concussion it would only be mild, my niece is always hitting her head rather hard and their fine, I'm sure its nothing plus you have to hit your head pretty darn hard to get a concussion as someone who has had a mild one I asure you that haha x

All the best :hugs:

ErinKC
18-03-17, 02:38
My 3 year old has bumped her head more times than I can remember, so I feel I've become an expert on head injuries! If he cried right away, is acting fine, pupils are responsive (flash a flashlight in his eyes to see that his pupils get small), and no vomiting chances are very good that he does not have a concussion. Everything i've read said symptoms usually show immediately or over the first 24 hours, so you'll already have had a good deal of observing before he goes. It must be hard to let him go away no matter what, thought!!

MyNameIsTerry
18-03-17, 05:23
I think you know from the good advice you give others on here about anxiety that this is your anxiety talking. You know kids are always bumping their heads like this and we don't hear tons of stories of them being emergencies due to it.

My mum was a trained nursery nurse and later a supervisor when she went part time as she was much older. They would have paramedics coming in to talk about what to do and in cases of bumps to the head they were told if there was no vomiting or unconsciousness, not to take the kids for medical attention. This was in schools.

Perhaps a quick chat with him to ask if he is enjoying himself may alleviate your worries? Some level of worry is perhaps just a mum's default setting?

GlassPinata
18-03-17, 19:43
He seemed fine as of noon today... we went fossil-hunting in the creek before I dropped him at his dad's.
I am going to attempt not to obsess about it for the rest of the weekend.
Thank you all.