PDA

View Full Version : Breathing through a straw feeling!!

Kay8010
18-03-17, 10:14
Has anyone had the symptom where it feels like you breathing through a straw all the time??

I have a chest x-ray on Monday and im petrified. i really am! Im scared of what it reveals! Ive had ongoing symptoms for a long time, night time dry cough, upper back pain and this feeling where im being restricted for air!

Freaking out does not help I know but I feel helpless now!

insideout20
18-03-17, 10:22
Hi, yes I have had this for weeks, it would come and go but now I feel like I constantly am not breathing right and when I talk to people I sometimes get out of breath, I mean its not like I'm panting or anything

I had all tests done and was so scared about lung cancer etc, I had chest xray and everything was fine so don't worry

I have had a cough for years, chest pains etc

I'm not sure what it is, I find it hard to believe its just anxiety but I guess it must be.

Loloo
18-03-17, 10:24
Sounds like GERD to me, as stress level is making your stomach acid to go up your throat, chest X-ray will be able to indicate if there is any inflammation in your chest, heads up, don't worry about it too much as more stress is making everything worse.

insideout20
18-03-17, 10:43
Hi,

I do have gerd, I take ppis for it, doc said to go up to 2 a day, everytime I eat as soon as I burp oi feel food coming back up even on these meds, I don't get any heartburn anymore

I had a chest xray a few weeks ago and they said everything was fine

what else can I do just now for this ? I take 2 ppis and heartburn tablets also

---------- Post added at 10:43 ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 ----------

funny thing is sometimes after I eat I don't feel as breathless.

Kay8010
18-03-17, 11:00
Hi thanks for the replies. I take ppi too and the GP said its unlikely for it to be reflux as ppi's are wuite effective! So chest xray it is. Its in my throat. So tight and it feels like cold air in my windpipe but its the restriction of breathe that is really doing my head in!!

My biggest fear is lung cancer!

insideout20
18-03-17, 11:04
I get that in right hand side of throat, food doesn't always go down that size, if I run I feel burning in that side of the throat, also post nasal drip always goes down that one side

Kay8010
18-03-17, 11:12
I wake in the morning like i have a cold. Blocked nose, stuffy head which has just recently started! Its driving me insane like i have something blocking my breathe. The cough occurs at night when im sleeping, its tight and dry and ticklish! Hideous!! But again, convinced its lung cancer now!

insideout20
18-03-17, 11:46
you wont have don't worry ! loloo can you tell me more about acid reflux and what I have mentioned please

Loloo
18-03-17, 12:22
you wont have don't worry ! loloo can you tell me more about acid reflux and what I have mentioned please

I have acid reflux too, it helps when I sleep on my back at night instead of side, also you shouldn't be eating anything 2 hours before bed time.
I'm on pantoprazolum once a day before sleep.

You got to drink a lots of water, that will help for acid too

GERD never gave me heartburn so it was quite difficult to believe my doctor that is my problem, as I had sore throats which apparently was cause from acid reflux.

Try to breathe through the nose, try to control your breathing as if you breathe through mouth it will make your throat dry and you will have cough, my GERD were triggered by stress so now I'm fighting with it, I do have less stress now and I feel a bit better day by day :)

insideout20
18-03-17, 12:35
yea I don't eat big meals or before bed anymore . do you ever have chest tightness aswell ? sometimes I feel like I'm having an asthma attack but my doc said if my peak flow doesn't change then I'm not and it doesn't change

---------- Post added at 12:35 ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 ----------

one thing I do have is an insane amount of trapped wind everyday. in my stomach and chest. it sounds like thunder all day and night

Loloo
18-03-17, 12:38
yea I don't eat big meals or before bed anymore . do you ever have chest tightness aswell ? sometimes I feel like I'm having an asthma attack but my doc said if my peak flow doesn't change then I'm not and it doesn't change

one thing I do have is an insane amount of trapped wind everyday. in my stomach and chest. it sounds like thunder all day and night

I do have tight chest too, but I'm not entirely sure if that's a symptom of GERD or outcome of my anxiety as it can be anxiety symptom too.

It's a long post, but worth to read:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms

insideout20
18-03-17, 12:53
thanks. that post relates to during panic attacks but mine is always there but thanks

Kay8010
18-03-17, 12:54
I always eat and lay down straight after, its a no no but i dont feel heartburn, GP said acid can go into lungs also. Ive had it where im sleeping and it reaches my voicebox, gross!! Havent had it for a while. The PPI does nothing so thats why the dr is sending me for a chest xray. He gave me an inhaler too, it works but only for a short time then the tightness and wheezing sound comes back but only from my throat. Dr says lungs are clear, bpm is normal and oxygen blood levels are 99-97%. Ive had 4 fbc since March last year and they been normal.

This all started last year, had a chest xray due to coughing again and was ok. But since then the throat tightness and burning windpipe started, funny, chewing gum makes me feel "cleared"....and having a shower in the morning too. Upon inhalation it feels like a blocked straw!!

insideout20
18-03-17, 13:20
God this isn't good so what next ? I was tempted to come off ppvs and try a natural treatment of cider vinegar etc but not sure if that will work all my tests where f8ne aswell. do you ever feel when talking to people it's an effort ? I just always thought it was my anxiety as that does happen to me when I'm having a panic attack

Kay8010
18-03-17, 13:23
Yes sometimes and that I have to take deep breathes all the time!! I know its not good its scary for me thinking wtf is going on!

MyNameIsTerry
18-03-17, 16:38

Do you have asthma?

Kay, the inhaler you were given will be a Reliever and they are only meant to work for a short time. That's my asthma sufferers have a Preventer to work longer and use the Reliever only when they are having trouble.

insideout20
18-03-17, 16:41
hi

I don't know I have to wait 8 months for asthma test

my peak flow is always 550 when I feel shirt of breath etc it never really changes however when I do take my inhaler and use the peak flow it does go up about 80 points so I'm not sure ?

Kay8010
18-03-17, 16:52
Do you have asthma?

Kay, the inhaler you were given will be a Reliever and they are only meant to work for a short time. That's my asthma sufferers have a Preventer to work longer and use the Reliever only when they are having trouble.

Yeah its salbutamol. The doctor said use it as often as I need but no more than 2 puffs every 3 -4 hours. I tend to use it now everyday and it does take the tightness and choking feeling away slightly but then it back the next day. My son has severe asthma and he always has an inhaler the brown one every day twice a day and hardly uses the Ventolin. Doc said if the inhaler works we might be barking up the right tree depending what the chest xray shows for which im panicking about.

Kay8010
19-03-17, 19:19
I have my chest xray tomorrow morning and dreading it so much. Im actually dreading the whole week. Going to turn my phone off to not see the Dr calling me!!