PDA

View Full Version : starting citalopram today few questions

insideout20
18-03-17, 13:40
I just want to hear from people who had a good experience

in I have loads of physical symptoms buy I never hear anyone talk about them vanishing once they take this medication

did anyone suffer from dizziness a lot but found it went away on this ?

I have bad panic attacks and tingling. pressure in head. legs vibrate. while body vibrates at night. breathing issues etc

also both my docs said don't listen to reviews online because most people don't experience side effects

Senior Moment
18-03-17, 14:52
Hello. I have been taking 10mg Cit for about 15 months and although they stopped my panic attacks [ which I was really happy about ] but if I'm honest it hasn't done much for fuzzy head, shaking limbs and general anxiety. I know I am on a low dose but I am age 60 plus and don't want to take a stronger dose. I am trying CBT techniques now to see if that helps. Good luck with your treatment.

insideout20
18-03-17, 14:57
hi thanks ks for that. did you get side effects ? both my legs vibrate all the time and my left leg has felt weaker than the other and burns etc for 2 years now. I saw a neuro thrn and he said I was fine. if it was neurological do you think I would have known by now ? I'm scared to take citalopram I really am but I feel horrible

Senior Moment
18-03-17, 16:52
Yes I'm sure they are side effects, which I did get, but as I have said unfortunately the side effects for me, at least some of them, never left me. I'm sure you will be fine because you have been checked out and the side effects will fade in time. try not to worry about it.

insideout20
18-03-17, 16:58
sorry I mean these are my symptoms before starting any kind of meds. it makes me worry about ms

panic_down_under
18-03-17, 21:20
did anyone suffer from dizziness a lot but found it went away on this ?

Dizziness is a common anxiety symptom which should resolve once the antidepressant kicks-in, but is may worsen in the first couple of weeks as antidepressants often worsen anxiety at the beginning (and also for a short while after dose increases).

I have bad panic attacks and tingling. pressure in head. legs vibrate. while body vibrates at night. breathing issues etc

An antidepressant should help with all of these if they are anxiety driven.

also both my docs said don't listen to reviews online because most people don't experience side effects

They are correct. Most people don't have significant side-effects when first taking an antidepressant. Med forums such as this one mostly attract the minority that do so can give a very distorted picture.

insideout20
20-03-17, 15:55
Dizziness is a common anxiety symptom which should resolve once the antidepressant kicks-in, but is may worsen in the first couple of weeks as antidepressants often worsen anxiety at the beginning (and also for a short while after dose increases).

An antidepressant should help with all of these if they are anxiety driven.

They are correct. Most people don't have significant side-effects when first taking an antidepressant. Med forums such as this one mostly attract the minority that do so can give a very distorted picture.

hi, thanks for replying and I hope I will find relief, I need to stop reading reviews and just take them and see what happens, online it has an 8/10 review so that should do for me.
is it true if you get bad sides it means that there is a good chance they will really help because it shows how bad you need them ? sounds like a myth to me

panic_down_under
20-03-17, 21:02
is it true if you get bad sides it means that there is a good chance they will really help because it shows how bad you need them ? sounds like a myth to me

And to me. Even people who don't have an anxiety disorder/depression may become anxious initially if they take antidepressants - some people do in the belief they will become better than "normal". They are wasting their money because what is true is the significant down-regulation of neurotransmitter levels, etc, seen in those with these disorders don't occur if they don't have them, however, they do get the initial spike in serotonin activity which triggers increased anxiety in the first few weeks.

Also, most side-effects don't involve the brain. Serotonin is not just a brain neurotransmitter, the brain is only a minor user synthesizing and using a little under 2% of the total amount made in the body, about as much as the skin and blood vessels.

insideout20
20-03-17, 21:18
ok thanks for this. I guess I will find out I just hope I bI am someone who says it changed my life for the better. reviews online average 8/10 so hopefully

panic_down_under
21-03-17, 11:43
reviews online average 8/10 so hopefully

Reviews are worthless as, perhaps more than any other category of meds, antidepressant responses are very dependent on how the drug meshes with individual biology. If 999,999 people out of a million report an antidepressant is the greatest drug they've ever taken this is no guarantee it will work for you.

ip
21-03-17, 20:39
From personal experience, the last few times, I've logged in here, posted my own experiences, checked the site obsessively for the first few days, then drifted away after six or eight weeks as side effects dwindle and the physiological benefits begin to appear. After three months, I've forgotten about the site! That includes an earlier period on slow release propranolol after running a mile from citalopram (which I took later) because I was unaware of the likelihood of side effects, which were a shock.

insideout20
21-03-17, 21:38
From personal experience, the last few times, I've logged in here, posted my own experiences, checked the site obsessively for the first few days, then drifted away after six or eight weeks as side effects dwindle and the physiological benefits begin to appear. After three months, I've forgotten about the site! That includes an earlier period on slow release propranolol after running a mile from citalopram (which I took later) because I was unaware of the likelihood of side effects, which were a shock.

so does that mean citalopram worked for you or not ? all anyone ever talks about are the side effects but actually only a small % of people suffer them according to a survey

I am coming off this site anyway, I thought it would help but it just feeds my anxiety more by coming on here

it's a behavioural condition anxiety, you need to learn new behaviours to beat it and coming on here doesn't help with that. I have always known this but been too weak and scared and just keep coming on here asking questions, hardly anyone replies anyway but it's enough for me

good luck to everyone

how do I delete my account ? lol

Sage579
22-03-17, 06:08
The meds won't make them go away but will help you recover http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=46980 this best thread I have ever read

ip
22-03-17, 10:05
so does that mean citalopram worked for you or not ? all anyone ever talks about are the side effects but actually only a small % of people suffer them according to a survey

I am coming off this site anyway, I thought it would help but it just feeds my anxiety more by coming on here

it's a behavioural condition anxiety, you need to learn new behaviours to beat it and coming on here doesn't help with that. I have always known this but been too weak and scared and just keep coming on here asking questions, hardly anyone replies anyway but it's enough for me

good luck to everyone

how do I delete my account ? lol

Yes, it worked!

---------- Post added at 10:05 ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 ----------

Panic attacks included boats, bridges and - worst of all - flying. Not just the act of doing so, but the thought. Since treatment, I have flown a dozen or so times and taken overnight ferries, walked and cycled over bridges without the spiralling panic of "what if I can't cope and jump off/out?"

Unfortunately I've had a relapse (after seven years) but feel halfway to normal now, ie. how I felt three months ago. But I'm confident in restarting Citalopram.

varucasalt
24-03-17, 04:04
Hi InsideOut

I have been on Citalopram for 16 years, it worked really well for me. I am now switching to Effexor because its not working for me anymore. I can understand how you feel being concerned. It has been a great ssri for me. It stopped all my panic. I slept great on it. Felt good. I wish you so much happiness. Hang in there

---------- Post added at 00:04 ---------- Previous post was at 00:02 ----------

I only got a headache mild one in the beginning and some cool dreams. the first week I was on it. No fuzzy head.