PDA

View Full Version : Permanent anxiety while not at work/being productive

Werwulf
18-03-17, 16:59
I seem to have a really strong, persistent level of anxiety while I'm not at work. Weekends are by far the worst, increasing as the weekend progresses and most intense on a Sunday evening. As if I feel like I desperately must be achieving something. This is lessened ever so slightly by doing chores/things on my todo list/diy etc. Obviously, I'd like to actually spend my weekends doing relaxing and pleasant things! I'm a computer programmer during the week and my job is very much around constantly solving problems and completing a set of clearly defined tasks. I feel like I can't let this go at the weekend and just doing something fun that doesn't really achieve anything important, makes me incredibly anxious. This seems to get worse when there are problems at work that need resolving. I don't feel like this when at work.

Any advice would be very welcome

I'm currently on Sertraline, been on it for about 6 months. Before that Citalopram.

Thanks

GlassPinata
18-03-17, 17:20
Find ways to stay busy. that's what I do.
I work 45-50 hours a week, and like you, I am fairly functional as long as I'm working.
But on weekends, I do not work, and my little boy visits his father. That's when the anxiety sets in.
I am working on plans to stay busy during the weekend: visiting friends, reading books, exercising, working on cleaning, organizing, and improving my home.
This weekend I've made a list for myself of things I intend to get done, and every time I feel a twinge of anxiety, i just refer to my list, and it reassures me.... I will not have a lot of empty time for worrying.
I definitely relate to how you feel, though.

best wishes.

snowghost57
18-03-17, 17:56
What do you do glass when you can't make yourself get up to eat, shower and get dressed? How do you force yourself?

GlassPinata
18-03-17, 19:38
What do you do glass when you can't make yourself get up to eat, shower and get dressed? How do you force yourself?

I just do.
I've got kids. i have to.