PDA

View Full Version : Please help

CantonaKing
19-03-17, 14:53
Hi,
Around a month ago, I had a panic attack - only third one I've ever had.
I put it down to the fact I was due to have an operation and was extremely scared about it.
Fast forward and I had the operation last week, which went fine.
I've had to spend the week inside because of it and went out for the first time on Wednesday, and felt really weird and anxious.
Went out earlier and had this feeling that I couldn't catch my breath - was horrible.
There was no rhyme or reason behind it, which is the frustrating thing.
I have controllable asthma and have only ever suffered one attack, three years ago.
I'm due to go out soon, driving to my parents-in-law, and terrified I'm going to start concentrating on my breathing again, even though I know there's nothing wrong with my asthma.
It's so frustrating.

snowghost57
19-03-17, 15:40
Just relax and take it one step at a time. Deep breathing is good during a panic attack as we tend to take shallow breaths when we panic. I also talk myself through a panic attack. I tell my self it is a physical reaction to my thoughts and this will pass.

CantonaKing
19-03-17, 18:49
Thanks. But I don't know why it's come on suddenly, the breathlessness?

ChildOfTheKing
20-03-17, 00:33
Hello, I have the same problem in that I feel breathless and obsess with my breathing. The problem is we are focused too much on it, it becomes manual, and we try to force in deep breaths and feel we can never get a satisfying breath. If you go for a walk or do any exercise you will find that you can breathe, it's just that our anxiety plays with us and we become obsessed with certain processes, just like many obsess with their heartbeats.