PDA

View Full Version : Choked and now I feel weird

Hypomean
20-03-17, 08:46
Hey guys I'm here having a bad week with anxiety, tonight at a party I choked on a bite of cake. I thought I could just clea
r my throat so I did and it made my throat feel itchy which then I started coughing but this cough was hard to do since it felt like I would get stuck half way and couldn't complete the cough, talking was hard to make my voice, it felt so forced. I coughed and coughed till then it felt like my airway was swelling shut I couldn't really breath in. I told my self to relax and get in short breaths and then it finally cleared. Will I am left with the feeling as if the swelling could come back in my airway. The center of my chest feels odd and I feel like my breathing is shallow. That shallowness then makes me feel dizzy which then makes me worry.

My fears is that the cake might still be in there and it will hit again once I'm asleep. Causing something like dry drowning. Or that my choking could have caused issues somewhere else and it could lead to respiratory failure or heart failure.

My head hurts aft the coughing fit. My chest feels tight.

After the choking fit I had a very good laughing session, it was at a party that I was attending (a few minutes later my dad went on to choke too.) since last night I was dealing with a sore throat, my breathing did feel a lil congested. But not as bad as right now. It just feels odd: I need to deep breath so when I take in some air even though I blew out everything, with just sucking in. Little breath it feels like I already have a lung filled with air so it feels as if it's going to explode in there.

I tried taking a sip of something only to choke again. Then I started chewing gum and it had these "flavor crystals" and that sent me choking again this time was a lil bit more scary since I was driving a long lonely winding road with only my three lil ones in the car. I had trouble catching my breath. My throat then got this horrible inner itch.

It feels like when I got this one lone "asthma" attack. It felt horrible guys. Not to long ago I choked on something very acidic and spicy that my airway completely closed just from the irritation. And for some reason today's episode I felt it worse emotionally. I honestly thought "will this is it"
Is it my anxiety making it worse? Along with the already sore throat? And what aboy the tight breathing sensation? Is that ok or should I be worried?

---------- Post added at 08:22 ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 ----------

Anyone??!! Right now I woke up choking on acid reflux gunk and it burned my lungs was weeding for air it was horrible :(

---------- Post added at 08:23 ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 ----------

Wheezing for air

---------- Post added at 08:42 ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 ----------

What if this goes back to my botulism fear?!
My throat feels super raw right now between earliers choking session and right now add acid reflux choke. My husbands take on this he continues to play video games while I choked right now just telling me to relax. I mean i am wheezing for air!!! Between all my other anxiety stuff I really do believe anxiety will be the death of me because no body will believe I am actually in need of medical help.

---------- Post added at 08:46 ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 ----------

Guys??!!!
Seriously all this happens now when there is no insurance. Toooo tip it off I went to check on the kiddos after and my 7 year old with the teeth infection has a fever.... he has an appointment in the late morning, like can't this string of ill things just end?

ElectricAlice
20-03-17, 10:29
Choking sensations can be totally anxiety related. You most likely got a small crumb stuck in your throat, or it went down the wrong way. You coughed to clear it (it can feel awful but this is a very sensible bodily reaction to a MINOR obstruction - it's totally harmless) Then your anxiety hit in and was like 'WTF IS GOING ON' - then fight or flight kicked in - long story short your mind catastrophised the event resulting in you thinking it's much worse. Anxiety warps our views on things. I've woken up and thought my arm was swollen when it clearly wasn't. We take harmless events and warp them to fit in with our 'evidence' that something is wrong.

The feeling like you can't get enough air is very common in anxiety. VERY. Place a hand on your belly and make sure that hand is rising when you breath, not your upper chest. This will help and you'll feel more relaxed too.

I have more suggestions but I have to head out, please don't worry you are fine :)