PDA

View Full Version : Stressing over tooth anxiety

fruitandnutlover
20-03-17, 10:47
Last Tuesday I had a back molar removed. I've never had a tooth out before so wasn't sure what to expect but very anxious due to my anxiety and health anxiety etc.
The dentist was a gentle as poss but did struggle to get it out because my wisdom tooth was anchoring it down a little!
Anyhow the pain after wasn't too bad, took pain relief and did exactly as they asked re:after care.
However, on Wednesday it was quite painful and I had a terrible taste and smell coming from the area. I did regular salt washes but come Thurs it was the same so went back to see the dentist. He said I had lost some of the blood clot and there was a slight infection :huh:
They gave me antibiotics (but they make my Ibs much worse so only taken for 2 days).
The bad taste and smell has gone and I'm no longer taking the pain killers. But it's still uncomfortable, especially at night (although I have tmjd so clench down a lot at night which doesn't help!).
It now feels tender and achy and there is a kind of nerve like pain/discomfort which is manageable but annoying!
Does anyone know if this is normal?

xfilme
23-03-17, 22:03
My dad had the same recently. When the clot comes out of the extraction site it is called a dry socket which can be painful and cause infection. Did they put a medicated gause in to cover it? My dad was uncomfortable for about a week and had to stay on pain killers. After that the pain went. He did have to wait a couple of weeks for the gum to grow over the exposed jaw bone though. Now he says it feels fine.