PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I let this go?

BrokenGirl
20-03-17, 13:16
I've been concerned lately about the left side of my nose being bigger than the right, around the nostril area. If I run my finger along it I can feel a big bump there, and there's none on the other side.
So I went in to my doctor last week to talk to her about starting me on meds and I mentioned my nose to her. She felt it and said it's probably just cartilage and then had a quick look inside my nose as well and said there was a little spot which is probably a polyp. She talked to me for a few minutes about polyps but didn't mention the bump I can feel on the outside again.
I'm starting to get obsessed again now feeling the outside of my nose. Shouldn't it be enough for me that she said it was probably just cartilage and left it at that? Surely if she thought it might was something else then wouldn't she be doing some sort of follow up on it?
Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I'm in a bad place lately and the bad thoughts are drowning out any little bit of rational thinking I might have :weep:

Scared2bme
20-03-17, 16:36
Yup this was me back in august with my eyes. I convinced myself one eye was larger than the other eye and FREAKED out. Went to my eye doc who said I was fine. Or bigger. All in my head. I literally convinced myself my eye was bigger. So much so I wore sunglasses because I was afraid someone would bring it up and panic me. I was CONVINCED. The more I looked at it the odder it became. My DH probably wanted to commit me.

BrokenGirl
21-03-17, 12:14
The thing is that I KNOW that one side of my nose is bigger. This isn't one of those times when we can imagine things. The doctor even commented on it but I just can't stop worrying. Is it common for one side of the nose to be bigger than the other, for the cartilage to be much bigger on one side than the other side?

Fishmanpa
21-03-17, 12:20
We're asymmetrical by nature. That's it really.

Positive thoughts

BrokenGirl
21-03-17, 14:47
We're asymmetrical by nature. That's it really.

Positive thoughts

I really hope that's all it is. I have come to accept the fact that we are asymmetrical, so the little differences don't bother me too much any more. It's when there's a big difference between sides is when I get worried.
I actually think that I did notice a difference in my nose sides maybe over a year ago. So surely anything sinister would be a lot worse by now, wouldn't it?

ServerError
21-03-17, 17:05
I really hope that's all it is. I have come to accept the fact that we are asymmetrical, so the little differences don't bother me too much any more. It's when there's a big difference between sides is when I get worried.
I actually think that I did notice a difference in my nose sides maybe over a year ago. So surely anything sinister would be a lot worse by now, wouldn't it?

If you've truly accepted that we're asymmetrical by nature, you need to extend that acceptance beyond the small differences to the bigger ones, too.

"Big" is a subjective word in this context anyway. You see a "big" difference where others might barely notice. The issue becomes something to fret about in your mind because of your anxiety disorder. Based on what you describe, I have absolutely no concerns about the difference you're seeing. But I do have concerns about the way in which you think and the power thought seems to have over you. As is the case with 99.9999% of people here, the problem is anxiety.