PDA

View Full Version : Introduction.

Conrad
21-03-17, 02:22
Hello.

My name is Connor, I'm 19 years and I have been suffering from anxiety and depression for as long as I can remember, throughout my life, all my failures, mistakes are all attributed to my lack of confidence, I literally have zero confidence in myself, I struggle to interact with people and when I do I find myself putting on this transparent façade that everyone can see through, I find it incredibly hard interacting with people be it family or close friends, if I find myself in a group of people, I don't talk, I don't acknowledge them or so they think, but I feel like I have no social skills whatsoever. If I'm out with a friend and he makes a joke, I can't laugh, I feel no amusement, I feel like some emotionless husk incapable of interacting with society. The reason I joined today, is that soon I start a new job, and I'm hoping that I will be able to change my life and build some confidence so I can finally start living, I just recently left my girlfriend, I had been with her on and off practically two years, but through the course of our relationship I began realising as perfect as she was for me, she was a safety blanket to help me stay emotionally stable, and that sort of dependence and reliance is hardly healthy, so about a week ago I told her it was over, I just want to be able to find some confidence in myself and depend on myself, the reason I'm joining today is that I would like to talk to some like minded people and hear how they overcame they're anxiety and see what tips you can offer, I'm starting work at an company that deals In credit repayments and the money is very good but the work involves interacting with customer's over the phone and helping them find a solution and honestly I'm petrified, I keep thinking how am I going to do this when I can't even order a pizza without panicking. Anyway rant over good to be here.

venusbluejeans
21-03-17, 02:27
Hiya Conrad and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

snowghost57
21-03-17, 02:51
Welcome! Sounds to me that you might just have a touch of old fashion shyness! You are young and just starting out. We all are anxious on the first day of a new job. It's normal! I would recommend looking at General Anxiety Threads there are some there about practicing mindfulness and some informative post from a gentleman name Bill look for a post, Anxiety is a symptom, the story of a parrot. Everyone here is very helpful. You may send me a message if you like. One thing I learned today is that anxiety is based on fear. Remember our body reacts to the brains thoughts. How does our body react to fear? Anxiety, increase adrenaline, pounding heart, sweaty hands. So when we face this fear, like ordering a pizza, (I used to get anxious doing that) What is the fear? Will we stumble over our words during the phone conversation? Will we order the wrong kind of pizza? It's just a pizza, laugh at your mind and say on lordy it's a mushroom pizza not a order a nuclear bomb to be dropped on another country. This is just an example. Take care! And post your thoughts here!