PDA

View Full Version : Another Citalopram question - sorry!

Scarlett77
25-04-07, 11:23
I just started on Citalopram 20mg again yesterday, and i see that in the patient information leaflet included it now says 'do NOT drink alcohol' while taking these tablets.

2 years ago when i last took them, i'm pretty sure it didn't mention alcohol on the pack - i could well be wrong :blush: but i remember asking the dr about it, and him saying a few drinks are fine, but not to go overboard.

Have they changed? i'm still getting the same side effects as i did before so i don't know. i know i should just follow the instructions, but i wasn't planning to drink to excess while on them, just the odd glass or two of wine (without ruining my liver)- it'll be tough to be completely teetotal! :ohmy:

Scarlett x

Dying_Swan
25-04-07, 12:48
Hey Scarlett.

I've been on 20mg Citalopram for nearly 2 years and have had no problems drinking with them.

Drug manufacturers often tell you not to drink......mainly because they don't want you to sue them if anything goes wrong!

My GP said the same as yours - a few drinks won't hurt you. Perhaps you feel the effects of alcohol more easily when taking Citalopram. I don't seem to?!

Anyway - of course be careful, but I've never had any problems and would think the odd drink will do you no harm. Just remember that alcohol is a depressant and can make you feel quite low.

:) xxx

Piglet
25-04-07, 13:41
Scarlett if you ever want to talk to a person in the flesh about medication then you can ring the tablet advice line - the telephone number is on a sticky thread under 'Medications'. I think quite a few people have found them very helpful.

Piglet :flowers:

trac67
25-04-07, 13:50
Hi,

My doctor told me that drinking alcohol ( not to excess) when on citalopram was fine, it can just make you feel the effects of the alcohol a lot quicker sometimes.

If you are still worried you can do as Piglet suggests and ring the tablet advice line, or even ask your pharmacist.

Take care

Trac xxx

tam
25-04-07, 16:36
hi scarlett,i have took citalopram and i asked the doctor about drinking,his reply was in moderation it was ok but dont go mad,i did have a few drinks while taking them and was ok but felt rough in the morning,more panicked nervous ect.hope this helps tracy

Two heads
26-04-07, 11:50
Hi there!
I think you will be fine to have a few drinks.Im on citalopram and have wine everyother night.Ive just found that drink hits you quicker.
Try alittle at frist to see how you react,then increase if your ok.
xxxx

Scarlett77
26-04-07, 12:02
Thanks to you all for taking the time to reply, it's much appreciated, and i'm more than a little relieved to know i don't have to give up booze completely, silly as that may be lol. Take care,

Scarlett x

samc100
02-05-07, 20:50
I didn't dare drink at first but my therapist told me take the tablet in the morning so it can get working if you want a drink in the evening. I have only had a few glasses of wine on a night out and get 'drunk' quicker than normal. But at least I can have a drink when out.

Hannahlou84
03-05-07, 01:20
Hi Scarlett

I am sure the odd drink is okay if your doctor has advised this in the past (and generally with medication it is, but you just need to be aware that it may affect you differently) Good luck!

Ozzy
03-05-07, 01:47
ive got hammerd on it day in and day out for weeks on it once and it didnt do nothing to me but i wouldnt do it again as it messed the meds up and stops them working drink is a depressant anyway.

Magpie
03-05-07, 10:22
I think Ozzy's right, as far as I know the reason you're not advised to drink on Citalopram is because it might increase the effects of alcohol for some people but with Escitalopram the leaflet states that although no increase in effects has been observed in tests, you should still avoid drink when on any of these types of drug, I assume because of the conflicting effects on your serotonin levels etc. I haven't had a drink yet on meds as I've got a history of nasty reactions to alcohol, but I might have one or two if I feel like it - as you say, it's not pleasant to feel you have to go teetotal just because of the meds!