PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I'm new here.

Terror Gorilla
21-03-17, 11:36
I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Seán. I'm 41 and I've had severe anxiety for years. For the past five of them I've been housebound with agoraphobia. I'm presently being chewed up by the DWP system, who, after nearly a year of keeping me on the assessment rate of ESA, have now placed me into the WRAG. I only know this because this morning I have received a letter telling me to attend an appointment or be sanctioned.

My doctor suggested I join a forum (her words to me when I told her I needed more support than I was getting: "I'm a doctor not a social worker") to speak to other people in a similar situation. I'm on 100mg Sertraline daily and Diazepam as required. I've been referred from IAPT to my CMHT and they have referred me for psychiatric evaluation but, as this cannot be conducted at my home, I keep putting it back in the hope that a miracle will happen and I'll be able to go outside.

I'm in a real bind: I can't access the help I need but without the help I need I can't get outside. I'm also on the waiting list for counselling with Mind and I've approached the CAB for help from their advocacy service but in both situations I'm told it could take "weeks, if not months". Ideally I could do with somebody coming here a couple of times a week and helping me make the first steps outside. I did have a support worker through Shelter but now I'm no longer in danger of becoming homeless that stopped. Unfortunately I don't have any family (my mother is very elderly and lives in supported accomodation a long way away) and my small circle of friends disappeared long ago. What a mess.

Apart from that I'm happy to be here. Thanks for having me.

venusbluejeans
21-03-17, 11:42
Hiya Terror Gorilla and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Bigboyuk
21-03-17, 12:01
Hi Sean and welcome to the NMP Community :) I have heard similar stories on here and it really isn't good enough I am sure the DWP doesn't have any idea what the condition you have really does affect you. You could try Assist another Advocacy service as for Mind I am waiting for CBT too and have been told that it can be fast tracked once they have contacted you for a assessment so would see if they can fast track your case :) Good luck and let us know how you get on. Cheers

Terror Gorilla
22-03-17, 02:01
Thanks for the welcome.

I'll take a look at Assist and their advocacy service.

Bigboyuk
22-03-17, 09:23
Thanks for the welcome.

I'll take a look at Assist and their advocacy service. You are welcome! Hope you get some help in this matter :) Cheers