PDA

View Full Version : my lymph node anxiety story

nhelen79
21-03-17, 17:29
hi all,
whenever i feel anxious, this place has helped me tremendously. Thanks for all your support and logical thinking. I just want to share an experience that I had today.

For some reasons, I was so anxious about lymph nodes in the neck. i've been trying to feel and look for them, but i don't know what I am supposed to look for. On top of that, i have a sore throat, achy neck. All thoughts lead to lymphoma by Dr. Google.

Yesterday I felt so anxious that I caved in and made a doctor appointment for today. This morning, I admitted to the doctor that i'm very worried about Lymphoma and lymph nodes and i've been feeling my neck but I don't know what I shall look for. Before her exam, she said this "I understand your fear, but lymphoma is VERY rare. We don't advise patients to search and poke for lymph nodes because you don't know what is normal, what is not. The more you poke at them, the more they will swell up and scare you. With lymphoma, it will come with many symptoms that you know something is seriously wrong that you don't even have to guess".

After exam, she told me that I have ear infection and put me on antibiotic. I didn't give up. I asked again for the 3rd time that shall i make an appointment to recheck my neck lymph nodes a few weeks from now because you told me that 1 or 2 are a little bit swollen in a subtle way. She said No No, if your sore throat or ear infection don't go away after antibiotic then come back to check for other causes (not cancer), but don't need to come back just to check for your lymph nodes. They are trying to fight an infection that you have and they are doing their job by swelling up.

I guess I've learned that if the doctor isn't worried, I shall move on and leave my neck alone. I wish that I can always be this logical.

Fishmanpa
21-03-17, 17:54
We don't advise patients to search and poke for lymph nodes because you don't know what is normal, what is not. The more you poke at them, the more they will swell up and scare you. With lymphoma, it will come with many symptoms that you know something is seriously wrong that you don't even have to guess"

I say the same thing countless times to the node fear peeps ;)

Positive thoughts

nhelen79
21-03-17, 18:00
I say the same thing countless times to the node fear peeps ;)

Positive thoughts

Hi Fishmanpa, I'm one of these node-fear peeps :) However, i'm going to try stay away from my neck for a while now that I got the doctor's confirmation that I'm actually having an infection. Do you see how illogical I am? i'm glad that I'm sick because it means my lymph nodes are doing it job?

Fishmanpa
21-03-17, 18:08
i'm glad that I'm sick because it means my lymph nodes are doing it job?

Yep... they're the body's sewer system, collecting all the yuck ;) And stop poking and prodding ya hear!?

Positive thoughts

Kdubb793
21-03-17, 19:59
I have an appointment tomorrow. I'm 23 and feel a move able pea size lump above my collarbone I can only feel if I push it up over the bone. I'm worried about lymphoma too because I haven't been sick in awhile

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

nhelen79
21-03-17, 20:36
goodluck Kdubb793. I think everything will be fine.

Hanh

sanchit31
21-03-17, 20:54
I have an appointment tomorrow. I'm 23 and feel a move able pea size lump above my collarbone I can only feel if I push it up over the bone. I'm worried about lymphoma too because I haven't been sick in awhile

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Kdubb793 brother dont worry i have also suffered from this it takes time but soon or later it will get better and be happy and watch friends episode you will feel much better:flowers:

---------- Post added at 02:24 ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 ----------

[QUOTE=nhelen79 is it ok to have lump behind ear while having anxiety ? i am freaking out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:weep:

AbeLinkedIn
21-03-17, 21:43
I've had my share of lymph node worries in the past, but most of them have been the result of infection or I've mistaken a cyst for a node. I haven't had a scare in a while, thank goodness.