PDA

View Full Version : Candida?

darkangel
25-04-07, 11:37
Hi everyone

I don't normally start a new thread, however Ive been having setbacks recently and had to going back to my GP again with the feeling of my throat tensing and feeling that I am being smothered hence my panic attacks have came back. He says I have thrush (in my mouth and throat - not down below :blush: ) and I could possibly have candida albiens. He has given me lozenges to take and yes I even read all the leaflet many times cos Im terrified of taking medicine but so far I seem to be Ok with them. However, I googled..............big mistake , I know I say to everyone not to google but I did and Im wondering if long term anxiety and panic has done something to my body to cause me to have this. Or is this just my thoughts running wild - again. I dont want to be back checked labels and monitoring what I eat cos that turns obsessive for me.
Any one else have this and if you do, did it clear up and do you need to control your diet?
Thanks in advance

Luv Darkangel x

yorkylover
25-04-07, 14:44
I saw a nutritrionist who told me I had candida.She put me on a yeast free diet for three months,that was flippin hard work.I felt really good afterwards though and I lost a stone in wieght.I was full of energy.I personally dont think I had candida,I think my problem was anxiety all along.My gp never found candida.I think stress can make you feel run down,and make your immune system low so may be this is why you have candida.:hugs:

darkangel
25-04-07, 15:27
Hi Ellen

Thanks for your reply - I think I am run down just now and of course my anxious thoughts are fuelling it. Im maybe jumping to the worst case scenario yet again its probably just oral thrush.

I have looked up the diet and it looks VERY difficult to stick to - so you did well.

Hopefully the lozenges will help.

Thanks again and hope you are well Ellen

Luv Darkangle x

Dying_Swan
25-04-07, 16:08
Hey.

I think you can get daktarin or nystatin gel for oral thrush? Those might be good to try if you don't find the lozenges much help. The pharmacist will know all about it.

I don't think you need to worry. Anxiety is not going to cause you to get thrush. It's just one of those things we get from time to time. Have you been on antibiotics recently? They are terrible for giving you oral thrush.

Anyway - hope you get better soon :) xx

lass
25-04-07, 16:33
Hi DarkAngel.

I have spent quite a lot of my time reading about candida, trying the diet etc. I don't know if you realise, but candida lives in everyone. It's only when the overgrowth gets out of control that it becomes a problem. Candida is a bacteria which feeds on yeast/sugar, which is why you have to avoid these in a diet.

I filled out a candida questionnaire many years ago and was found to have a probable overgrowth. I bought a book, tried the diet, tried some supplements. Felt temporarily better after a while (probably coz I'd basically detoxed) but was soon back to my old eating ways because it is very difficult to follow.

Then I had a colonic in January and the therapist says candida is one of the things they can see come out. She said it's all white and frothy! Anyway, I had a small amount but nothing to worry about and she didn't actually feel I had a candida problem at all.

Candida can also get out of control when you are stressed or unwell.

My personal advice would be to continue with what your doctor has prescribed, and maybe short term try to eliminate things like yeast (bread, mushrooms, vinegars, etc) and unnecessary sugars, and see how you go. But the full on diet is very hard to stick to and made me quite ill initially (I think I went into sugar withdrawal!) before my body got used to it.

I'd also avoid the "get rid of candida quick with diet" supplements that are advertised on the web. I've been told they don't work and they cost a small fortune.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
xxx

ksmith
25-04-07, 20:37
Hello there

I had a friend with this and she had all her amalgam (sp) fillings out (the ones with mercury in) and had them replaced. Don't know if it helped coz I lost touch with her. Just thought it might be something to think about.

Kay x

Kate C
25-04-07, 21:48
Hi Darkangel,

My husband had awful oral thrush after taking antibiotics. It took a while to clear and I made the mistake of Googling.....you'll have read what I read so I don't need to tell you how I felt. Anyhow, the GP explained that antibiotics, mouthwashes, anything that changes the pH of your mouth can leave it vulnerable to thrush, so the cause is probably very innocent.

If the lozenges don't work, you could try Daktarin gel - it did the trick for my husband. I also got him to eat probiotic yoghurts as the friendly bacteria is a good thing for the mouth as well as the gut. Maybe give that a try? Also avoid eating too much sugar - this can give thrush a field day.

Hope you feel better soon.:winks:

Kate

debstar
26-04-07, 00:14
Hi,

Did you know that yoghurt also works to get rid of thrush in the mouth.

darkangel
26-04-07, 12:37
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to answer. You have all given me loads of different ideas and things to try. I think sometimes with health anxiety we tend to bypass the obvious and our mind escalates out of control so thanks for reassurance and advice.

I was on Nystatin but it didnt help. Now on Fungilin lozenges. Im not too bothered by the white furry tongue lol its more the feeling of a tightness in my throat and the thought of it being around my body - but it is getting slightly better - think my thoughts making it worse too cos going through a LOT of stress just now.

You know, I eat mushrooms and bread every day - so maybe that not helping - I didnt think about that!!!

Lass - not so sure I could have the nerve to get a colonic done - although I have thought about it. I might have a rethink!

I didnt realise that mouthwashes could maybe not be helping matters either - so going to give that a miss and see if it helps.

Luv Darkangel :flowers: :flowers: