PDA

View Full Version : How do i relax and blank my mind

Sarah-Jane
27-10-04, 01:56
Im having trouble relaxing and blanking my mind especially when having an attack and when trying to sleep. i feel sometimes my mind works overtime can anyone relate to this and give me any help to sort this out thanks x

Love Sarah-Jane xxxx

Karen
27-10-04, 02:09
Hi Sarah-Jane

I have a similar problem with my mind working overtime and not being able to stop the thoughts in my head. The problem I have is with obsessive thoughts.

One idea that was suggested to me, was to set aside a time of no more than 10 minutes. During this time just let all the thoughts come and write them all down. Don't analyse them or try to stop them but write them down as they come. When the ten minutes has passed, stop and tell yourself that you have had all those thoughts now and you don't have to think about them again until the next day. It takes some practise, but it could be worth a go.

You could also try using a relaxation cd.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

another_adam
27-10-04, 12:42
well meditation is a good way of clearing and relaxing the mind.. but during a panic attack i could'nt imagine being able to meditate!

mico
27-10-04, 13:22
Hi SJ

Relaxation can be a tricky one, especially at times of panic. To be honest I've always found that when you are panicking that it is almost impossible to blank your mind and just turn over to a more relaxed state. What I have found though, is that my relaxation outside of panic has, over the years, taught me a lot more about dealing with the panic when it comes. Usually now, I don't let my mind escalate that far when confronted with a worrying situation - Although there are other things involved in that too, such as rationalising thoughts, etc.

My mind also works overtime, and relaxation at any time of the day can prove difficult, but far from impossible. I would recommend you try some different techniques and find what suits you. Meditation is a common one, but at times can be difficult to focus/concentrate with a racing mind. If you're feeling a lot of tension in your body, the 'tense and relax' method can be usefull - Where you tense part of your body for about ten seconds while holding a deep breath, then let go and relax. If you're really having trouble focusing though relaxation tapes can sometimes be more usefull, guided visualisations, etc, forcing your mind away from the usuall tormenting thoughts and on some new more positive thoughts. Light Music can be good too.

You just have to persist really, it's a real struggle at first - I know I have to force myself to do it at times. I usually find I reach a point though, where it is like a switch flicking, and suddenly the thoughts start to disperse and my body starts to appreciate the need to relax, and that is when you become comfortable with sitting still. And once you get into a bit of a routine, your mind starts to quieten down slightly and it becomes easier. I think practice is the main thing, you'll become better at it over time.

Not sure if any of this helps, but that's my experiences with it.

mico

Meg
27-10-04, 16:34
Hi Sarah Jane,

During a panic your whole body is crying out to flee and its very hard to keep any sort of rationality together and virtually impossible to blank your mind especially it may well have been an overactive mind that brought on the panic to start with .

One excellent thing is to put on a CD with breathing techniques on it so you can follow someone who is breathing calmly and flop in a chair like a Raggedy Ann doll and just watch the symptoms come and go breathing as slowly as possible until it passes. In your mind just repeat positive affirmations . Many people find a few they like , write them out and keep them with them so they're very handy as a reminder should panic start to rise .

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
- Albert Einstein.

Rennie1989
27-10-04, 20:30
hiya

try meditating. it clears ur mind,

it helps when u have lavenda, candles and soothing music, it does me good, although im not aloud candles in my room, lol

try it! 4 me?

Scooter Girl

if i was hungry would you feed me, if i fell you help me up, if i was crying would you brush away my tears