PDA

View Full Version : Ok

Bob L
23-03-17, 12:28
Hi everyone, and thanks for having me around. I'm glad to have found this forum as i didn't know is these are still a thing.
I apologize if this is in the wrong section but I'm reluctant to accurately diagnose myself as it would turn out i have 3 types of cancer.
" After this post's initial draft, i had 1156 words so i had to make it short"
I'm 22, living in London, England, originally from Romania, and I've been working as a cleaner on the London underground for the past 3 years. Typing what i feel now would be too much so I'll just type out my schedule and i hope empathy on your end will do the trick in figuring out why I'm so @#$&ed up.
From Monday to Friday i wake up at 5:30, have a coffee and I'm out the door by 6. I get to work at 7.30, where a couple of people who barely speak English will look down on me tell me what i have to do for the day. I'm a cleaner in a train depot so I'm constantly doing my job ( which i hate and I'm deeply ashamed of ) around managers and engineers and when they as much as glance over my way i feel like scum and i should just go and slit my wrists longways. And that happens every 5 minutes. I'm pretty sure there is some ostrich DNA in me as i would love to just bury my head in the sand. I finish work at 15:00 and I'm home by 16:30. I grab something to eat and sit in front of the computer playing video games ( because they are my escape. I feel I'm in control and it gives me a sense of achievement. I'm aware that feeling is fake but I'll have it nonetheless) until around 22:30 and i finally fall asleep until next day. I'm at a point where sleeping is my favourite " activity " and i just wish i could do it forever. Saturdays and Sundays i sit in front of the computer for 8 hours + and the day's end up in drinking myself to sleep ( i do keep the drinking in control tho. My father is an alcoholic and i would never want to end up like him ).
3 years in this city and i haven't made and kind of progress. My job is the same and i find it difficult to switch it as i don't have any other experience of qualification. I'm still living with my mother and it's difficult to change that too because the money's not that good. It's enough to live, but not enough to save up for a deposit to rent some other place. I have no friends, nothing. I've realised I'm starting to be socially awkward some time ago but i just ignored it, and it simply overwhelms me at this point. I kept telling myself that I'm being held back because I'm a foreigner, because my mentality is slightly different than that of the masses, but deep down I've always known I'm just lying to myself. Got mixed feelings about everything and everyone. I hate dealing with people but as soon as it happens, i love it. I love talking to people and at the same time i wish i would just be left alone. I'm happy with myself as i believe I'm rather unique, and at the same time i hate myself as I realise that "uniqueness" keeps me from having normal relationships with people around me.
The problems and their causes go alot deeper than that and I'm smart enough to realise the root of the issues but I i don't have the willingness to fix them.
.... And the worst part is I'm fully aware I'm anxious and paranoid and it's ALL in my head and yet, that acknowledgement doesn't help at all. I'm never confident and always look for an excuse. I lie to my family about what i do and i lie to myself about what i am. I'm not even sure why i looked up this forum and decided to share this in the first place.
It took me 15 minutes to decide wether I should go through with it.
#edit1: I think i know what you're going to say. * Just change the way you think, it's not true * * it's all in your head, get over it * * just go out there and do it, force yourself, is not that hard*.
I think i know what i should do to help myself and yet i never do...

Bigboyuk
23-03-17, 13:12
Hi Bob nice to have you here and :welcome: I am a cleaner too and know what you are going through with out a doubt I too have had those looks as if to say ha you are only a cleaner it's sad but I now just get on with it :) Iam certainly aren't going to say pull your self together etc but will say have you seeked any professional help therapy,meds etc? Think that's your first step on the road to your recovery :) Nice to meet you Cheers

Carrie8484
23-03-17, 13:29
Hi Bob

I am sorry to hear you're feeling like this. there is nothing to be ashamed of by being a cleaner. It is a physically hard job. I love watching those london underground programmes and the cleaning team are the best characters in those!
I can understand your frustrations though.

I guess leaving London is not an option for you? i just wonder whether moving somewhere with much lower living costs would help you and expand your opportunities to be sociable as london is known to be a very lonely place.

Have you thought about joining Meet up? There will be Gaming groups on there if that is your main interest.

Could you benefit from some professional advice for your feelings? The first step obviously would be to see your doctor. Even if it just for a chat?

you are a young guy, your whole life is ahead of you and you seem very smart! Could you study? There are colleges that offer free courses and bursaries etc.

Good luck

Bob L
23-03-17, 14:28
Thank you, Carrie.
I've taken into consideration all these options and none of them seem right, at least not at this time.
As for professional help, i don't really know how things work here but then again, i haven't looked it up either. I suppose the GP should be the first person i should see.
Thing is, it is the anonymous nature of this forum that gave me courage to say those things. Should i have a person to talk to, i doubt I'd say anything about this stuff. I see it as weakness and i believe others do too.
This "Meet up" sounds interesting, what is it? I can manage most subjects. Gaming is my passion but i wasn't always like this. I used to be very outgoing a few years back. My social skills are probably still in there.