PDA

View Full Version : This is me

xjlmummy
25-04-07, 16:48
Hello,

I've just come across the site and hope to learn from your experiences how to cope better with my depression/panic/agoraphobia/general anxiety/social phobia.

A bit about me; I'm 43, married for 2nd time to a good man who has his own mental health issues. I have 3 sons, 14 (with mild autism) 9 (awaiting assessment) and 2 (so far so good!). I'm educated to Masters level (supposed to be doing PhD at the moment) and usually work at senior management level; I used to work as a mental health nurse. Please understand, I'm not um "bigging myself up" or whatever:blush: - just trying to explain what a shock it is to feel so out of control and a failure.

I have a longish history of depression and over the past 3 years it has meant taking several months at a time off work. I've been on Paroxetine 20mg since September last year. I've also always found social situations awkward, but ok if I know what my role is (e.g. work-related, parent etc. Not good at crowds, chit-chat type encounters). Anyway things have got a lot worse this year and came to a head a month ago when I had a massive "panic attack" while driving on a motorway. I thought I was dying, couldn't breathe, heart racing, head whoshing, stomach hurting with stress. I was absolutely convinced that I was going to die. This is a big part of the whole experience, that I am doomed in some way, either to be killed horrifically or that I have some undiagnosed condition (brain tumour maybe?) and no-one takes it seriously.

Things have accelerated (excuse driving pun!) since and I'm now essentially housebound, largely bedbound as it's the only safe place. My GP initially gave me small numbers of Diazepam 2mg, but I don't have any left. I can't answer the phone unless I know who it is, and can't deal with stuff that needs to be sorted without crying or screaming or having another panic attack. I'm just about managing to cook for the children but it's a struggle. I can't concentrate to read for long or watch TV, and can't cope with violence or noisy programmes. I can't drive, can't go to work as I don't even like being driven, and have been off sick for 4 weeks. My boss (I changed jobs in January 2007) is not sympathetic, and wants me to attend a meeting to discuss my future with the company next Tuesday (assuming I can leave the house :shrug: ). Meanwhile, my mum is fairly dependent on me/us as she has breathing problems (COPD) and my dad who lives on the other side of the country alone is terminally ill with stage 3B lung cancer. The household falls apart when I'm not functioning, quite apart from the fact that as the wage-earner (my husband is on IB and does supported permitted work) we are likely to get into financial difficulties soon as I am only getting SSP now.

Just to confuse the picture (and give you a chance to phone for the men in white coats :wacko: ) I have brief bouts of "positive" stress when I firmly believe that I am here to heal the world (Messianic complex?).

Sorry, that was a long post, but I hope you "know" me a little now!

S.x

trac67
25-04-07, 16:59
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xxx

belle
25-04-07, 17:02
Hi there,
Welcome to the forum :)
I can relate to A LOT of what you talked about.
Perhaps PM me some time...
Sarah x

AdamD
25-04-07, 17:06
hi there, welcome to no more panic.
There are many peopel on here that would love to talk to you and help you get through whatever problems you are facing.
Best wishes.
Adam xxxx

SANDYJANE
25-04-07, 18:22
hi and a big warm welcome .

love sandy xxx

honeybee3939
25-04-07, 18:26
Hi

Welcome to NMP, :) Lovely to see you here, i hope we can be of some help:)

love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

manmoor
25-04-07, 20:42
Hi,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

nomorepanic
25-04-07, 22:11
Hi there

A warm welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

You will get loads of support and advice on here.

groovygranny
25-04-07, 22:24
Hello xjl mummy! Big :welcome:to you!

It's what's in your post that counts, so don't apologise. :hugs:

You're really going through it aren't you?:huh:

Well, you've come to the right place for support and help:)

We all help each other here!

:flowers:

Pink Princess
25-04-07, 23:40
hey welcome to the site, hope you are well. you will get a lot of good advice and support here, make many friends also. take kare xxx

Piglet
26-04-07, 11:04
Gosh I really feel for you - my first panic attack happened due to being overwhelmed at being/feeling responsible for everybody else.

Whilst as a mum we are responsible for our childrens welfare etc this is not to say that others can't chip in and share the load with us. I also had forgotten how to ask for help some years previously and it was this fierce independence that also added to the anxious mix.

We are not invincible and nor are we superwomen and why should we have to be - the world will not come to an end if we take to our beds - it just means others have to help.

Mate I would make a list of who it is possible to ask to do what - involve anyone that can help in however small a way poss, official or friends and relatives etc. My mistake was thinking I was the one whom everything fell too and noone would be able to manage if it weren't for me - rather big headed of me wouldn't you say!!

You have an overload of stress going on here and it's pen and paper time to start making lists and possible options of how to improve things.

........ and a big welcome to the site by the way!! :)

Piglet :flowers:

xjlmummy
26-04-07, 15:43
:flowers:Thanks Piglet and to everyone else who welcomed me to the site - so kind! I'm reading through different threads a bit at a time, and I hope to be able to contribute something in return.
:bighug:
Thanks again
S.x

Southern_Belle
27-04-07, 01:32
Hello and a big welcome to the site. I'm glad you are reading through the threads and are looking to contribute something that is what this site is all about. You will make many new friends here and will find tons of support. I know you are going through a difficult time and I hope it eases up on you.

Hugs,

Laura