PDA

View Full Version : Slower more awkward non-dominant side?

Apothael
23-03-17, 13:26
Is it normal for the non-dominant side of your body to be slower and a little less dexterous, and a little awkward when making certain movements?

My left limbs don't seem to have lost any strength but since I've been investigating the way it moves compared to my right I've noticed several things:

I can send my right foot into a shaky twitch, but when I try to do the same with my left it just ends up awkwardly going in several directions.

If I make a scissors motion, or close and unclose a "Spock" gesture, and attempt to keep both hands in sync while ramping up the speed, the left will eventually fall behind and any attempt at keeping up will result in stilted awkward movement.

My left side also feels less "there" as of late, but that is plausibly the result of anxiety. My handwriting with my non-dominant hand isn't incomprehensible either.

I've also been very clumsy lately.

I have numerous other symptoms that are working to confirm my fears but those are probably psychosomatic. I really don't think this is and was wondering if it was normal?

.Poppy.
23-03-17, 18:10
Yes, it's totally normal. Your non-dominant side just gets far less practice than the other, so it's clumsy.

It's actually quite funny: obviously, my left-handed writing would be bad as I'm right-handed, but it's like my left hand doesn't even know how to hold a pencil, let alone move it correctly! You'd think the skill would transfer over a bit but nope. :D