PDA

View Full Version : Pulmonary embolism

Ihavelostmymarbles
23-03-17, 13:55
I seriously can't get past this. I can't stop researching. I can't stop feeling short of breath. I can't realize that the blood that was coming next up from my throat was more than likely not a pulmonary embolism, but from having sinusitis. I can't reassure myself that every pregnancy I've had has come with this intense shortness of breath that makes me want to cry.

I don't want to do this anymore. I don't want to have health issues. I don't want to fear something fatal. I don't want this anymore. I went three years feeling horrible and being told "IT'S ANXIETY", just to end up being diagnosed with a heart condition.

Part of me wants to go to the ER right now, but another part of me knows that once I go there I'm never coming out. I'm not.

Charlie1108
23-03-17, 14:15
It;s awful isn't it? And ruins the joy of pregnancy. I can't breath after food and am going dizzy and having crazy palps yet all the tests are negative and all they come back with is anxiety. I just wish I could trust the countless doctors and the test results. My heart is good so what will it take for me to believe this? With you all the way xx

Fishmanpa
23-03-17, 15:01
I'd like to point out something in your post....

I seriously can't get past this. I can't stop researching. I can't stop feeling short of breath. I can't realize that the blood that was coming next up from my throat was more than likely not a pulmonary embolism, but from having sinusitis. I can't reassure myself that every pregnancy I've had has come with this intense shortness of breath that makes me want to cry.

I don't want to do this anymore. I don't want to have health issues. I don't want to fear something fatal. I don't want this anymore. I went three years feeling horrible and being told "IT'S ANXIETY", just to end up being diagnosed with a heart condition.

Part of me wants to go to the ER right now, but another part of me knows that once I go there I'm never coming out. I'm not.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right.
- Henry Ford

This is not about anything but your mindset. It's so negative at this point that you can't see the light of day.

If you believe you can't, you won't! Right now you believe that.
If you don't want to, it's really as simple as not doing it. Would you eat something you really didn't like? Would you listen to music you don't enjoy? Then why continue to do something that makes you feel like crap?

You should discuss this as well as discuss posting and an anxiety forum with your therapist. IMO, from what I see in your posts, it's hindering you and keeping you focused on negativity.

Positive thoughts

anx mum
23-03-17, 15:20

Hello hun I can really understand how u feel I'm the same at the moment as I'm getting chest pains I'm always worried about a pulmonary embolism. This all takes over your life the symptoms u get are real its very hard to believe its all anxiety. If u wanna chat?:hugs:

Ihavelostmymarbles
23-03-17, 16:04
I just hate these feelings, like the shortness of breath is the worst. I'm tired of just lying down all the time because I want to be active, but I only feel like I can breathe when I'm sedentary.

tryingtosurvive1
24-03-17, 02:31
hey. I don't think you have a PE. I remember talking on the old forum and I thought you might have some non-anxiety related but manageable. I still think that and I'm glad if you've made progress getting diagnosed. I think you are brave and hanging in there!

katniss
24-03-17, 03:38
What a fabulous answer fishmanpa.

Also, just to add. I was like this during my first pregnancy. I was in the ER twice due to high heartrate (anxiety) and the fear of a dvt. Firstly dvts are incredibly rare. Even in the pregnant population. We are led to believe that it can happen today any pregnant woman but it comes with risks factors and it is really rare to get! You do not have a blood clot. Just a baby growing inside of you.

Also, from second semester onwards taking a deep breathe is just a task in and of itself. It's so hard. I remember panicking because I couldn't catch my breath. But it was all fine. And you will be fine too. Enjoy the rest and relaxation now (unless of you have other kiddos) because once baby comes you will needs lots of energy :)

Ihavelostmymarbles
24-03-17, 13:41
hey. I don't think you have a PE. I remember talking on the old forum and I thought you might have some non-anxiety related but manageable. I still think that and I'm glad if you've made progress getting diagnosed. I think you are brave and hanging in there!

Thanks. I'm just trying to take it day by day, and I'm still avoiding chronic illness forums/groups because they still scare me. I hope you're doing well; I know you have your struggles as well.

anx mum
24-03-17, 14:14
how u feeling today?

Ihavelostmymarbles
24-03-17, 14:55
I still feel the same. I'm not going to feel relief with the shortness of breath any time soon. Are you feeling better?

anx mum
24-03-17, 20:33
feel awful hun chest is hurting in tears:weep:

Ihavelostmymarbles
29-03-17, 22:58
I hate that I'm so afraid of this. I also hate that pregnancy gives you a higher chance of developing one. Now I have all these aches and pains in my neck/shoulder blade/arm, SOB, and dizziness. I'm completely freaked out trying to decide if this is pregnancy related or a pulmonary embolism. I just hate worrying about these all the time. I don't understand why some women have wonderful pregnancies and why mine disable me? I hate this so much but there's nothing I can do about it.

Cakelady
29-03-17, 23:21
It worried me in pregnancy. I had number 7 when I was 39 & despite all my worries all was fine. Your maternity care team will be keeping an eye on you but if your worries are really affecting you might be worth mentioning it to your midwife for reassurance & support. Best wishes xx

Ihavelostmymarbles
29-03-17, 23:27
I want to bring it up to the midwife, but I fear that she will have me admitted to the hospital for tests to be run--tests that are not good for the baby :(

Every pregnancy I've had has been awful with the symptoms that come with them, but it just seems like each pregnancy is getting harder & harder.

I know I just need to work through this, and I can't worry about what I can't control. It just sucks getting all the symptoms of something that you're extremely afraid of. I feel like I'll never know if it's an emergency or not.

Cakelady
30-03-17, 21:18
I understand but they wouldn't put you through anything that would harm your baby. I've had alot more aches & pains with each pregnancy, it worried me quite alot at times.
Yes your right, but I still think a little support would go along way. Theres so much going on when you are pregnant, as you know, & when you have raging hormones & worrying aches & pains it can be so difficult. I do think if it was something serious you really would know but please try to talk to your midwife. Its such an exciting time, you deserve to be able to relax & look forward to your little one:hugs:xx

Ihavelostmymarbles
31-03-17, 01:44
I really think I have have a PE. I'm extremely dizzy and feel so short of breath just doing anything. I know the SOB could be from my reflux because it's awful right now, but this dizziness is scaring me so much. I'm so scared right now and I've been having some chest pain on and off today.

Fishmanpa
31-03-17, 02:17
If you're posting here waiting for responses I would be inclined to believe it's not sinister. That being said, if you're that scared, go to the doctor.

Positive thoughts

Hypomean
31-03-17, 03:55
TBH it sounds like regular prego pains. Remember your back and hips get out of whack causing shoulder, neck, and back pains. But any concern especially when pregnant should be brought up to your doctor. I once had a one of my check ups turn into a hospital visit, I had leg pain and the doctor out of precaution had me get checked out for DVT. It's just out of precaution remember it's two life's your thinking about. I said I felt silly going through all these tests just for a maybe, the nurse and doctor told me it's for your safety and I shouldn't feel like that about it.

Ihavelostmymarbles
31-03-17, 04:30
I've been reading about other people's experiences with PEs and it sounds like my every day experiences. I'm not sure what to do because they make it seem like it wasn't an emergency and they were so lucky that they decided to get checked out. So now I'm like...what if I don't get checked out and it is one? I'm afraid to go to sleep but I guess if I die it won't be as scary as being in those last few moments alive and panicking.

Ihavelostmymarbles
31-03-17, 19:53
I'm still freaking out about PEs. The dizziness is really bad again.

Ihavelostmymarbles
01-04-17, 14:25
I am very concerned that I have a pulmonary embolism.

Signs:
1. Leg cramping but gets better when I'm walking
2. Shortness of breath that only gets better when I'm lying down
3. Chest/rib pains that come and go
4. Dizziness
5. Heart racing occasionally
6. Exhaustion/felling weak
7. Coughing here and there with a stuffy nose
8. Feels like I'm being choked in my throat

How do you know when it's time to go to the ER?

Elen
01-04-17, 14:35
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

Cakelady
01-04-17, 17:18
Oh hun, I know you are worried but please,please,please talk to your midwife / maternity team. You can't spend the rest of your pregnancy so worked up, its not good for you or the baby. Please tell them what's going on, your fears & anxiety, they are there to help you & they wouldn't want you to be feeling this way:( xx

Ihavelostmymarbles
01-04-17, 20:47
I don't think anyone can help me anymore.

Charlie1108
01-04-17, 21:34
I'm 35 weeks and I get the same symptoms. I don't think for one minute it's a PE although I do have my heart anxieties as you know. I've been getting a bit better day by day and I'm sure you will. Why don't you voice your concerns to midwife. They will do a blood test before any invasive testing. My consultant is adamant that all my symptoms are common in pregnancy. I'm sure we will be fine

Cakelady
01-04-17, 21:45
Marbles they can help you, really. Charlie is getting similar symptoms & she's ok, I would take alot of reassurance from that, honestly I would. xx

Ihavelostmymarbles
01-04-17, 22:53
I'm really trying to take comfort in what is being said. I'm so afraid to get out of bed right now. I'm just watching shows with the kids and trying not to panic in front of them. I just can't stop thinking that this is fatal and that I'm going to wait too long to go to the ER and die.

Charlie1108
02-04-17, 09:52
You gave me great advice on my post when I said about my throat being constricted. Why don't you go back and remind yourself of it. Pregnancy is a tough deal on anxious people. How long do you have left? X

---------- Post added at 09:52 ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 ----------

Also, just to add. I doubt very much the pains in your chest would come and go if there was a clot there. I mean, once it's there it's there. I promise you my symptoms are virtually identical.

Cakelady
02-04-17, 11:51
If you went to the er & they said we can find nothing wrong, would it put you at ease? Its a stupid question but thinking if that would make you feel better & you could try to believe them maybe it could be a start in moving forward. I worry for you that it is so distressing & the effects on your broader mental health from this. Is there anything at all that might help that you feel able to do to break this fear? xx

Ihavelostmymarbles
03-04-17, 01:29
I'm just really scared. I took a shower and now I feel really shaky and dizzy. I've been drinking water and lying down, but I'm so afraid that something bad is wrong. I have extreme anxiety because the chest pains are happening and all of these symptoms. It just seems to be getting worse as the pregnancy goes on.

I think I have about 18 weeks left of this. I'm terrified that I'm going to die or not make it through labor. I just really don't want to do this anymore because these symptoms are terrifying. I do thin the hospital would help ease my mind for the time being, but then I feel like I'd go back in the cycle where I'm going once a week. I'm so afraid right now and trying not to panic. I just hope this chest pain is muscular and it's not a PE or a saddle PE :(

I'm not sure what's going on, but the further along I get the worse the symptoms are. I feel like my midwife is going to freak out again about my symptoms and scare me.

Fishmanpa
03-04-17, 03:07
I just wish you some peace. I can't imagine being so distraught over imaginary issues :( I truly hope you find a path to healing.

Positive thoughts

Cakelady
03-04-17, 08:28
I got shakey/ dizzy at different points in my pregnancy. I was fine honestly. Ah ok having a midwife freaking out not going to help you. 18 weeks is a long time to be feeling like this. Do you have a consultant or if not can you see your gp? I'm not sure how things work over in the US but over here there are special mental health teams who work with pregnant/ post natal women, could you see if something similar exists where you are to give you some much needed help? Going to beg you again, please try to speak to someone about this because you really need support through this:hugs:xxx

Charlie1108
03-04-17, 10:27
Also, your blood pressure drops to its lowest mid pregnancy which could easily account for your dizziness. My dizziness is dreadful today, no idea why! Struggled walking to shower first thing! Try drinking lots or even a coffee to try and boost blood pressure? Maybe you're anaemic? There's countless explanations xx

Ihavelostmymarbles
03-04-17, 14:32
I go to MFM this week so I'll bring it up. It's good to know that others have experienced these symptoms because everyone that I know during pregnancy acts like it's really weird to experience this stuff.

I honestly haven't been right since I visited my midwife. I was short of breath in there and she said my heart condition wouldn't be causing that--even though others that have it said it can. She freaked me out saying, "If you can't breathe then get to that emergency room". Well I have shortness of breath all the time so I started panicking and since then I have just been so depressed and scared. I've been afraid to leave my bed, and now that I have to go in the store in freaking out in the parking lot. I'm also mad because now I have to see the ob, and I've had two awful birth experiences with the on. I really wanted a midwife again because that was my best delivery--and it was a student that did it!

Oh, and I'd love a coffee right now but it makes my heart go nuts lol.

---------- Post added at 13:32 ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 ----------

I went to the grocery store & I feel exhausted. My heart raced the whole time and now I feel like I need a nap. Maybe I'm not drinking enough water like you said?

Charlie1108
03-04-17, 20:51
So sorry to hear you're suffering so much. What's your heart condition if you don't mind me asking? I sometimes go funny visiting anywhere public when my anxiety is bad... almost like I'm going to faint xx

Ihavelostmymarbles
03-04-17, 21:21
So sorry to hear you're suffering so much. What's your heart condition if you don't mind me asking? I sometimes go funny visiting anywhere public when my anxiety is bad... almost like I'm going to faint xx

Sent you a PM.