PDA

View Full Version : Symptoms following negative life events

Alice1990
23-03-17, 23:02
Hi everyone,

So I just wanted to ask if anyone's health anxiety has got worse after severe life events. Last summer I went through some awful events, 3 specifically, all in a row and a few months after they happened anxiety over my health seemed to sky rocket. I've been anxious about so many things, both physical and mental, that it's probably the most worried I've ever been in terms of my mental well-being.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has had similar experiences, and that if it's normal for anxieties to go through the roof following such events.

Fishmanpa
23-03-17, 23:16
Without a doubt yes. I'm not a sufferer but the stress of dealing with my wife's illness caused numerous stress related symptoms.

Positive thoughts

domril26
24-03-17, 01:04
My Dad got diagnosed with Motor Neurons Disease at Christmas and was given 5 years to live, that compounded with the stress of my fiancé and myself being unsure of whether we could stay together in the US has led to....

Panic Attacks
Lack of Appetite
Headaches
Spasms
Loss of Weight
Insomnia
Waking during the night
Health Anxiety
Irritability
Fatigue
Vision Problems
Gagging
Muscle Tensions

Just starting to come out of it and feel positive again...don't let it grip you. Stick to the statement you made at the beginning, you've had bad news, thats why you feel bad, it isn't your health. Your mind can make your body do CRAZY things. Stay strong mentally, you'll be fine, distract yourself, exercise. Keep busy! Positive thoughts.

Lakme
24-03-17, 09:10
Hi everyone,

So I just wanted to ask if anyone's health anxiety has got worse after severe life events. Last summer I went through some awful events, 3 specifically, all in a row and a few months after they happened anxiety over my health seemed to sky rocket. I've been anxious about so many things, both physical and mental, that it's probably the most worried I've ever been in terms of my mental well-being.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has had similar experiences, and that if it's normal for anxieties to go through the roof following such events.

I had a bout of food poisoning that triggered my health anxiety. I am now learning that I may have had celiac disease my entire life and this was the cause of most of my problems. Taking b vitamins helped with both my symptoms and my anxiety and it might help with yours too if you try it out. Other than that, it sounds like you might just be suffering from some post traumatic stress and this tends to fade away over time.

Peace.

DizzyH
13-05-17, 15:53
My fiancé has recently been diagnosed with a brain tumour.
This has been devastating for me, especially as when I hear stories of people with illnesses I tend to 'develop' the symptoms myself.
I really don't know how I am going to be able to help him and protect my own mental health. It's a nightmare.