PDA

View Full Version : Describe diazepam taking it for the first time.....help me understand

Colin44
23-03-17, 23:45
I take escitilopram for panic and anxiety, I am going on holiday in May and this will be my longest ever flight. Normally I'd get drunk on a short flight and hope for the best but my doctor has given me diazepam.

I just want to know how it feels, what happens to the body and mind, how long would 2mg take to kick in?

I'm not keen on taking tablets of any kind so I want to know what I will be feeling to see it will help.

panic_down_under
24-03-17, 01:01
Normally I'd get drunk on a short flight and hope for the best

Many airlines won't let people board if they are visibly drunk because they represent a danger to themselves and others in an emergency.

I just want to know how it feels,

Probably the main effect will be sedation. I suggest you take one a couple of days before your flight to see how you're affected.

what happens to the body and mind,

People with anxiety disorders have fewer benzodiazepine (BZD) binding sites on GABA receptors in the threat processing areas of the brain making them overactive. Benzodiazepines such as diazepam compensate for the lack of BZD binding sites by increasing the effectiveness of the sites we do have. When a BZD molecule binds with a BZD binding site it enhances the response of the associated GABA receptor. When GABA receptors are activated by GABA molecules they open chlorine ion channels into cell membranes. Chlorine ions are negatively charged so when they enter cells they make it harder for the cells to reach their 'firing' voltage which slows down the firing rate.

BTW-BZDs, especially diazepam and its metabolites, are found naturally in all foods. Our brains are quite used to them, in fact couldn't function without them.

how long would 2mg take to kick in?

Plasma levels peak at around 1-1.5 hours after diazepam is taken so take it about an hour before take-off. But DON'T drive after doing so as it may begin affecting your ability to drive safely earlier than this (which is perhaps a pity as the most dangerous parts of flying are the drive to and from the airports, not the flight between them, therefore this is when you should really need BZDs the most).

The things which may help are to get a seat as far forward as your ticket class allows as the air is the freshest near the front - CO2 is a potent anxiety trigger, and drink lots of water to compensate for the very dry air. Some recommend taking a centre seat, but ime, window seats are better as the passing scenery is a good distraction. Also take something that will absorb your attention during the flight, a book, Kindle, or other electronic device, etc. Or simply engage the person sitting next to you in conversation.

Colin44
10-04-17, 16:16
Sounds like much of that was written by a doctor and not someone that had taken it.

I just want to know how it makes you feel and react and in general people's experience of using it.

Benjammin69
10-04-17, 16:23
It's meant to make you feel warm, fuzzy and relaxed. But doesn't work for me @ 2mg,5mg or 10mg

snowghost57
10-04-17, 16:57
LOL Colin, that's the way panic responds to posts! Valium will just mellow you out. Here in the states doctors won't prescribe it for one it's very addictive. It's a feel good pill, relaxes you and calms you down. Don't drink alcohol with it or you will fall asleep. I wish I could get it just to help me sleep, but like I said doctors won't order it here anymore.

Red Octane
10-04-17, 23:26
I was prescribed 4mg of diazepam for a presentation that I was worried about. Was told to take 2mg a day before to make sure it didn't "zonk me out", then another 4mg about an hour before I made my presentation.

Honestly, I didn't feel heavily sedated or fuzzy, perhaps because I was on quite a low dose of the stuff. However, I did feel as if all my worry and anxiety had quite literally disappeared. I'm usually very anxious when I walk down the street, always trying to avoid eye contact and being concerned about how others perceive me, yet I remember, about 10 minutes after I started walking to class, that I didn't feel any anxiety whatsoever. Just before I made my presentation, I did feel slightly worried and was trying to inconspicuously reach into my bag and take another one! However, as soon as I started presented all the problems that normally afflict my presentations - rapid heartbeat, sweaty hands, shaky voice, all didn't materialize. When I normally do a presentation, I start to panic after a couple of minutes, yet diazepam made me carry on for over 20 minutes! The best part about it though was that afterward I didn't feel any of the worry I normally do about what I did wrong - I felt like it had been a success, the first time I have not spent hours after a social event musing over my mistakes.

About 6 hours after taking diazepam I became conscious that its effects were wearing off. Around this time I start feeling very tired and drowsy, although after another couple of hours this feeling wears off too. The only other side effect I noted was constipation, although there's no guarantee that it was caused by the drug.

This is quite a detailed response, and I hope it gives you some insight into the way diazepam works. I plan on taking it every time I have to do a presentation (which isn't that often), and just taking beta-blockers for the rest of the time. I hope it has the same effect on you!

Colin44
15-04-17, 22:26
LOL Colin, that's the way panic responds to posts! Valium will just mellow you out. Here in the states doctors won't prescribe it for one it's very addictive. It's a feel good pill, relaxes you and calms you down. Don't drink alcohol with it or you will fall asleep. I wish I could get it just to help me sleep, but like I said doctors won't order it here anymore.

I would be quite happy if it sends me to sleep through my whole flight!

I was prescribed 4mg of diazepam for a presentation that I was worried about. Was told to take 2mg a day before to make sure it didn't "zonk me out", then another 4mg about an hour before I made my presentation.

Honestly, I didn't feel heavily sedated or fuzzy, perhaps because I was on quite a low dose of the stuff. However, I did feel as if all my worry and anxiety had quite literally disappeared. I'm usually very anxious when I walk down the street, always trying to avoid eye contact and being concerned about how others perceive me, yet I remember, about 10 minutes after I started walking to class, that I didn't feel any anxiety whatsoever. Just before I made my presentation, I did feel slightly worried and was trying to inconspicuously reach into my bag and take another one! However, as soon as I started presented all the problems that normally afflict my presentations - rapid heartbeat, sweaty hands, shaky voice, all didn't materialize. When I normally do a presentation, I start to panic after a couple of minutes, yet diazepam made me carry on for over 20 minutes! The best part about it though was that afterward I didn't feel any of the worry I normally do about what I did wrong - I felt like it had been a success, the first time I have not spent hours after a social event musing over my mistakes.

About 6 hours after taking diazepam I became conscious that its effects were wearing off. Around this time I start feeling very tired and drowsy, although after another couple of hours this feeling wears off too. The only other side effect I noted was constipation, although there's no guarantee that it was caused by the drug.

This is quite a detailed response, and I hope it gives you some insight into the way diazepam works. I plan on taking it every time I have to do a presentation (which isn't that often), and just taking beta-blockers for the rest of the time. I hope it has the same effect on you!

I don't like taking a medication for the 1st time as I usually freak out, I hope after taking 2mg it doesn't give me a panic and I get the full effect of the benefits of it. If it doesn't then I'll just have to get hammered for my flight amd hope for the best.

Benjammin69
18-04-17, 20:56
Diazepam is a benzodiazepine (ben-zoe-dye-AZE-eh-peens). It affects chemicals in the brain that may be unbalanced in people with anxiety. Diazepam is used to treat anxiety disorders, alcohol withdrawal symptoms, or muscle spasms. Diazepam is sometimes used with other medications to treat seizures. You can buy diazepam online from <admin removal of company name>

Is ........ the right place
To get diaZepam from or is the doctor/p doc?
Idiot

Colin44
21-04-17, 10:51
I got mines from my doctor, 12mg all in (6 tablets).

I just don't want to take it then freak out. I want to take it withouy a worry and relax in a high anxiety situation for me.

Benjammin69
21-04-17, 17:49
I got mines from my doctor, 12mg all in (6 tablets).

I just don't want to take it then freak out. I want to take it withouy a worry and relax in a high anxiety situation for me.

I get mine from the docs too I got 10 5mg the other day and a few months ago I got 28 5mg, and 28 2mg. Don't worry about taking them mate. The way I can explain it is for a highly anxious person the diazepam allows your anxiety to go back to normal levels, with someone who's anxeity is not high it can then make them drowsy. So to sum it up the diazepam will level you out

MyNameIsTerry
22-04-17, 06:54
Is ... the right place
To get diaZepam from or is the doctor/p doc?
Idiot

Hi Ben,

I've reported it twice to Admin as sellers are not allowed on here. Besides, it's illegal anyway with these. There must be delays but I've reported it again.

Admin sometimes forget to amend responses, they will just delete his & ban him, so it might be worth editing out the company name so there's no trace of him later. :yesyes:

Benjammin69
22-04-17, 09:51
Hi Ben,

I've reported it twice to Admin as sellers are not allowed on here. Besides, it's illegal anyway with these. There must be delays but I've reported it again.

Admin sometimes forget to amend responses, they will just delete his & ban him, so it might be worth editing out the company name so there's no trace of him later. :yesyes:

Cheers mate I'll delete it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nomorepanic
22-04-17, 12:54
Banned now - sorry Terry I have only seen the one message come through

MyNameIsTerry
22-04-17, 13:18
Thanks Nic. With them always being dealt with so swiftly I just assumed there was probably a delay as you guys are busy and just report again after giving some time. No worries, it's always appreciated :flowers:

Colin44
04-05-17, 20:40
I get mine from the docs too I got 10 5mg the other day and a few months ago I got 28 5mg, and 28 2mg. Don't worry about taking them mate. The way I can explain it is for a highly anxious person the diazepam allows your anxiety to go back to normal levels, with someone who's anxeity is not high it can then make them drowsy. So to sum it up the diazepam will level you out

Thanks for the reassurance but I'm still worried about it. Going to try 2mg in the next week or so then I'll have an idea what will happen on them. I have this crazy notion that a tablet of something I've never tried before will kill me or I'll have a really bad reaction. Its bonkers....its my anxiety stopping me

That will leave me 10mg to get on holiday and get back. 5 hour flight.....hoping I pass out and sleep all the way.

Colin44
31-05-17, 19:06
So I rattled 12mg down my throat yesterday and it done nothing for me, absolutely nothing. So I never managed to board my flight.....

I'll never bother with this crap again.

panic_down_under
31-05-17, 23:27
So I rattled 12mg down my throat yesterday and it done nothing for me, absolutely nothing. So I never managed to board my flight.....

So you didn't do a trial run and waited until just before boarding the flight? In which case the extra anxiety about taking the pill on top of the fear of flying may have been too much for the dose to adequately control.

Also taking 12mg in one hit was a really stupid thing to do. :doh: It might have been enough to knock you out which is a dangerous condition to be in when flying.

Also when did you take it? It can take a couple of hours for diazepam plasma levels to peak.

Benjammin69
01-06-17, 05:53

Nothing will take away your fear, fear is a normal response. What diazepam would do is lower your anxiety. Timing with diazepam is crucial - for a dentist appointment your advised to take one the night before (which lowers your anxiety throughout the night) then one upon waking then if needed one an hour before the appointment. What it sounds like is you let your anxiety build to a high level then probably guzzled the diazepam on way to the airport. Which wasn't enough to lower the anxiety that had built and the extra anxiety that was being added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colin44
01-06-17, 12:39
Ok I an angry with myself, I was expecting a miracle drug to make me fly.

The doctor that prescribed me it never really gave me any advise on how to take it. I did try 2mg on Saturday but I had a highly emotional day with my team winning the cup final and I think the adrenaline wearing off and the 2mg probably made me feel relaxed so I thought it would do the same at the airport.

I took a little the night before then first thing in the morning but only a little.

I went back and seen another doctor yesterday and he gave me more and said I should have had 10mg 4 hours before I was due to fly then another 10mg when i was 2 hours from takeoff.

Only problem is now I have this mental block of not getting on, feeling like it won't work again and no direct flight till Tuesday.

Missing my wife and kids like mad and it's only been 2 days.

Benjammin69
01-06-17, 14:13
Ok I an angry with myself, I was expecting a miracle drug to make me fly.

The doctor that prescribed me it never really gave me any advise on how to take it. I did try 2mg on Saturday but I had a highly emotional day with my team winning the cup final and I think the adrenaline wearing off and the 2mg probably made me feel relaxed so I thought it would do the same at the airport.

I took a little the night before then first thing in the morning but only a little.

I went back and seen another doctor yesterday and he gave me more and said I should have had 10mg 4 hours before I was due to fly then another 10mg when i was 2 hours from takeoff.

Only problem is now I have this mental block of not getting on, feeling like it won't work again and no direct flight till Tuesday.

Missing my wife and kids like mad and it's only been 2 days.

One thing I have learnt is no drugs or therapy can give you amnesia, so you will never be able to forgot these scenarios/experiences - what the drugs do is make it more achievable and acceptable next time round.i take 10mg when hinges are getting too much, a meeting, public speaking etc and I still get nervous but it's normal
Nervous. So I would see the diazepam almost like alcohol, you said you normally use alcohol to get on a flight, well this time your using diazepam. You have got flights before so you will again you just need some assistance at the moment and they the diazepam

P.s - be sensible with it as it can be addictive and a bitch to come off when physically or emotionally dependant but the odd time for a flight isn't too bad :-)

Colin44
01-06-17, 14:22
I won't try it again now. I have concede defeat and I now have 9 long days to wait for my family to come home. I'm absolutely devastated and in no for state to try and book another flight.

Going to try a fear of flying course and get back to my doctors for councilling.

eternally optimistic
02-06-17, 22:29
Hi Colin..

I hope you are OK.

Your scenario is exactly one I experienced in 2007 and another in 2008!!!

2007 I as due to take a holiday with other half and children, they were young then.

I had a massive breakdown, the beginning of my anxiety, or knowing I had anxiety.

My husband went on without me, that was what I wanted for them so, I can relate to your situation.

There are lots of bits in between 2007 and now BUT I now fly, using diazepam which is massive help. As a previous post on here tonight, I still suffer massive anxiety beforehand and realise that this will happen but if that is the worse bit and it doesnt happen on the flight, I can live with that.

I hope you get help and also say, more importantly, that dont rule out flying again as it can happen. I WAS EXACTLY IN YOUR POSITION AND THOUGHT NEVER AGAIN TO TRY THAT BUT HAVE FLOWN SHORT HAUL EVERY YEAR NOW AND ONE YEAR, TWICE :)

Feel free to PM if you wish to talk.

regards.

Jackie

Colin44
05-06-17, 18:42
Hi Colin..

I hope you are OK.

Your scenario is exactly one I experienced in 2007 and another in 2008!!!

2007 I as due to take a holiday with other half and children, they were young then.

I had a massive breakdown, the beginning of my anxiety, or knowing I had anxiety.

My husband went on without me, that was what I wanted for them so, I can relate to your situation.

There are lots of bits in between 2007 and now BUT I now fly, using diazepam which is massive help. As a previous post on here tonight, I still suffer massive anxiety beforehand and realise that this will happen but if that is the worse bit and it doesnt happen on the flight, I can live with that.

I hope you get help and also say, more importantly, that dont rule out flying again as it can happen. I WAS EXACTLY IN YOUR POSITION AND THOUGHT NEVER AGAIN TO TRY THAT BUT HAVE FLOWN SHORT HAUL EVERY YEAR NOW AND ONE YEAR, TWICE :)

Feel free to PM if you wish to talk.

regards.

Jackie

Thanks for the reply and support, I really hope I can fly again but I'm not doing it any time soon.

I'm going to send your reply to my wife as she just can't grasp my fear and I need her to understand it's not just me that suffers from those debilitating illness.

Thank you.

panic_down_under
05-06-17, 22:05
I'm going to send your reply to my wife as she just can't grasp my fear and I need her to understand it's not just me that suffers from those debilitating illness.

It definitely isn't just you. It's why many airlines run fear of flying courses for hundreds of people at a time. You might benefit from one. Pretty sure BA and Virgin do them and if memory serves, EasyJet does too.

eternally optimistic
05-06-17, 23:19
No problem Colin.

I think if want to overcome this, you should do in your own time when you are more at peace with it all and not overwhelmed to conquer it for others, although I am sure you want to do this too.

amyhannahxx
13-06-17, 16:18
Hi guys,

I am new to this website today and wondered if anyone could give me some advice on Diazepam?

I have had agrophobia for around 2 years. At first it was quite severe, i could not travel, use public transport or even drive my own car.

Now 2 years later, i am finally going to try a holiday! I have high hopes for the trip as i have made good progress the past year, now being able to get on trains, buses, and just go out!

Going on holiday still freaks me out massively. I am only going to Portugal so its only 2hr 30 mins flight, however i am quite worried.

My doctor has prescribed me diazepam of 5mg. I have never tried these before?

Can anyone tell me how good they are? As im super worried i may even need to drink wine aswell!!

Thanks,
Amy x

panic_down_under
13-06-17, 23:04
Hi guys,

I am new to this website today

Welcome to No More Panic, Amy :welcome:

Well, you sort of have as diazepam is the main natural benzodiazepine (BZD) found in all foods, albeit only in small, though not insignificant amounts. Most life has become so adapted to these naturally occuring BZDs that it can no longer survive without them, and this is especially so for us mammals.

Can anyone tell me how good they are?

Diazepam can be very effective for fear of flying, but you should try it a couple of times well beforehand to see how it affects you. One of the main issues is that initially it can be very sedating which can be an problem when travelling.

On departure day take it an hour or two before scheduled take-off (don't drive after taking it). Also try and get a seat as far forward as your ticket class allows as the air is freshest toward the front and elevated CO2 is a known anxiety/panic trigger. It's only a small thing, especially on short flights, but even the little things can make a difference. Also stay well hydrated.

As im super worried i may even need to drink wine aswell!!

NO! Do not hydrate with alcohol while on a BZD. Firstly, combining alcohol and benzodiazepines may make you more sedated and/or tipsy. If severely affected you will not be allowed to board. Secondly, alcohol and benzodiazepines both depress brainstem activity. Among other things, the brainstem produces the breathing reflex and people have asphyxiated during sleep after taking BZDs and drinking.

Flying is very safe these days, Amy. Much safer than the train and bus 'deathtraps' :roflmao: you've been happily travelling on lately. The most dangerous parts of your journey will be the rides to and from the airports, not the flights between them...and don't get me started about those mad Portuguese!! :winks:

Colin44
15-06-17, 12:53
Hi guys,

I am new to this website today and wondered if anyone could give me some advice on Diazepam?

I have had agrophobia for around 2 years. At first it was quite severe, i could not travel, use public transport or even drive my own car.

Now 2 years later, i am finally going to try a holiday! I have high hopes for the trip as i have made good progress the past year, now being able to get on trains, buses, and just go out!

Going on holiday still freaks me out massively. I am only going to Portugal so its only 2hr 30 mins flight, however i am quite worried.

Can anyone tell me how good they are? As im super worried i may even need to drink wine aswell!!

Thanks,
Amy x

I'd suggest getting more and having 3 days talking it on the build up to flying to keep you calm before hand then plenty for the day.

My problem was not being calm enough for about a week before I was due to fly out. Then when it had no effect on the day my anxiety spiked and I couldn't fly.

Turnaround00
24-06-17, 23:34
Strange how we are all so different and respond so differently to meds.
I am sorry the diazapam didn't work well for you. 2 mgs works a treat for me prior to a stressful situation. I think its something you need to familiarise yourself with prior to an event especially us anxiety sufferers so we know what to expect.
I would describe diazapam as been a subtle calming experience. You are still very much you and in control, you just feel less tense and relaxed. 2 mgs takes the edge off for me and I would try 2mgs for a few days prior to a flight as it builds up in the body so you will have a bit extra in there leading up to it too. After that, Id forget about the diazapam until another urgent situation arises as so easy to become reliant on them. Not sure why 12mg didn't work for you but I would imagine if you were already freaking about the flight aswell as the taking of the diazapam then you were just in too high stress mode....