PDA

View Full Version : I think my daughter has leukemia

motherof3girlies
24-03-17, 03:08
Well it happened again for the third time in about 8 weeks my 3 year complained that her side hurt. She points to the same side and it seems to be her hip. This is such a huge trigger for me. She complied of leg pain in October, same side again but it only lasted two days and then It went away. Now she just says my side hurts and then it goes away seconds later and she is on her way. The last time she complained about it was about two weeks ago. I want to take her to the ortho because she is flat footed as well as knocked kneed but my husband won't let me because he is convinced she is perfect and I'm just exaggerating, but I feel different this time. It is hard to trust my instincts, but leg pain on and off doesn't seem good, especially in the same spot. Right?

katniss
24-03-17, 03:26
Oh hun,

I can relate. I have major anxiety surrounding the health and well being of myself children. In terms of aches and pains they are so common in children. It is very likely that she is having growing pains. How old is she? The reason that I ask is because sometimes kids will say things to get attention. Especially if you have been asking her about that particular side.

Also, if she has had it for 8 weeks, then I wouldn't worry too much about leukemia. Pain from leukemia worsens. Parents usually detect it because the kid refuses to do certain activities, limps or constantly complains of the pain. I do doubt that it would just happen 3 times in two months.

I hope she feels better soon :)

motherof3girlies
24-03-17, 03:38
Thank you for your reply, she is 3 1/2. Leg pain is a huge trigger for me because we know people whose daughter had bad leg pain and a limp and it was leukemia. Awful.

katniss
24-03-17, 03:40
I feel ya. I have the same fear. But please remember that she had bad pains and a limp. Leukemia or just cancer itself is incredibly rare in children. There is very likely a benign cause for your daughter.

GlassPinata
24-03-17, 09:27
My youngest son (four) has been complaining of leg pain on and off for several years now. At first, it scared me too.
But- no limp, no other worrisome symptoms, long periods go by without him complaining of the leg pain.
I believe it is probably growing pains. Either that or our toilet is too high and hurts his legs (he's often on the toilet when he complains of the leg pain; we have one of those water-conserving toilets, and it is taller than a regular toilet). OR... and this is quite possible: he got such a reaction from me the first few times he complained of leg pain, that now when he wants attention he complains of it again.
Anyway, he first made the complaint when he was two, and now he's almost five. Healthy, active, and growing like a weed.
So yes, I understand your fear. It still strikes dread in my heart whenever he starts up with this "leg pain" thing. But my rational mind knows at this point that it could not be what I was initially afraid of. You have to look at these things in context. If there are no other symptoms, it is very unlikely to be anything sinister.

Best wishes.

motherof3girlies
24-03-17, 13:59
But was your sons pain always in the same spot? My daughters pain has ALWAYS been in the same area, that's what worries me. Maybe it's not cancer but I definitely think there is something going on. She has really flat feet, but everywhere I read it says knees are most effected by flat feet, not the hip area. She always says her "side hurts" and points to the upper left side of her hip area. I'm at a loss.

Catherine S
24-03-17, 14:34
Yes the pain could be because of her flat feet, it could be affecting her hip. Why not take her to the ortho and get it checked out...no matter what your husband says sorry. Or is it something to do with medical bills? I can never work out what you guys pay for, it sounds complicated. But if it's such a big worry i'd get it checked out.

ISB x

AHF
24-03-17, 21:45
Hi I'm sure theres nothing to worry about! Maybe you can take her for a check up because there might be some muscle strain. Leukemia in children is incredibly rare and it resents itself with extreme fatigue, paleness. The bone pain is extreme, constant and worsening.

Have a great day! I hope her leg feels better soon!

GlassPinata
24-03-17, 22:51
Yes the pain could be because of her flat feet, it could be affecting her hip. Why not take her to the ortho and get it checked out...no matter what your husband says sorry. Or is it something to do with medical bills? I can never work out what you guys pay for, it sounds complicated. But if it's such a big worry i'd get it checked out.

ISB x

Unless we purchase medical insurance, we pay for everything out of pocket.
My son's dad was covering him under his medical insurance, as per our divorce agreement, but he recently lost his insurance. My son has strep throat. I took him to the urgent care clinic on Tuesday, and it cost 219 dollars for the visit. The antibiotic was another 39 dollars.

Sixpack
24-03-17, 23:02
Ok I am responding based on my experience of being a mom for 29 yrs, as a mom to 6 kids, as a mom of two of those kids having developmental/congenital abnormalities---one being severe and one being mild AND trying to inject some rationality in here

Well leukemia is simply your HA talking and not really a possibility. So that one is being pushed aside

In all likelihood this is no more than growing pains. And MORE likely your child having normal, minor little aches and pains that are only HUGE in your mind.

Finally: 3 of my kids have flat feet. One is VERY flat. I mean her feet are so pronated inward, you'd think her feet would be pained. Thing is from the time she was 3 she wore shoe orthotics that we had made at an orthotics medical office. These gave her feet support. She wore them until last year (18) when her ortho doc (who she saw for scoliosis--which had NOTHING to do with her flat feet) said she didn't really need to wear them anymore. She NEVER complained about leg pain.

My other two girls who have flat feet complained of FOOT pain. This is when they got shoe inserts from a specialty shoe store. They wear them in their shoes. One of my girls did have some knee pain--right knee-- a couple of years back. Her Ped suggested PT. She saw a FANTASTIC PT, who saw right away what the issue was a small issue with her hip---an exercise nipped that in the bud-- and weakness in one of the muscles around the knee. She had PT for 6-8 weeks. She went in 2X a week and practiced these exercises. She also practiced at home. Within that time, her knee issue disappeared. The PT told her how to walk and move a bit differently--basically the way we all should to keep the knee feeling top notch. She is pretty good but tells me that sometimes she has to do those exercises to strengthen the muscle. She is 16 now. My other daughter said her knee hurt a couple of months back, then never mentioned it again. she is 13.

So what about your daughter? So, if you are so worried about flat feet, take her to the pediatrician. In all likelihood the Ped will advise as ours did. Your child may need some shoe inserts. It is not a big deal. This is not catastrophic.

Catherine S
24-03-17, 23:23
Glass Pinata,

Thanks for explaining. That sounds really scary having to pay that much to have a child treated. Our NHS isn't perfect but we know we could see a doctor whenever we felt the need, for the nominal payment thats taken out of our salaries every month. You probably know that we call it National Insurance payments and we don't even notice it's been paid as it's such a small contribution, but it covers everything...check ups, tests, treatment, operations, child birth...everything.

Also if you have a long term condition such as diabetes or thyroid problems etc, you never have to pay for medication. Same for children under 16 and adults over 60...free meds, eye tests etc. I think we're really lucky to not have that worry.

ISB x

ErinKC
25-03-17, 02:43
I have health anxiety, but not about anyone but myself, so I can answer in a totally non-anxiety perspective when it comes to my daughter, who is also 3. What I'd do in your situation is just put in a call to the pediatrician. Say, "On a few different occasions my daughter has complained of pain in her hip, same side, same place each time. It passes quickly and she goes back to playing. Is this something I should be worried about? My friend's child had leukemia that started as leg pain, so it's a particularly sore spot for me."

---------- Post added at 00:43 ---------- Previous post was at 00:17 ----------

Unless we purchase medical insurance, we pay for everything out of pocket.
My son's dad was covering him under his medical insurance, as per our divorce agreement, but he recently lost his insurance. My son has strep throat. I took him to the urgent care clinic on Tuesday, and it cost 219 dollars for the visit. The antibiotic was another 39 dollars.

Have you looked into something called Charity Care? I think different in every state, and may actually be run hospital to hospital, but it's a system by which uninsured people can received free or reduced cost medical care based on income. I'd just googled your state + charity care to see how it works. Because hospitals/doctors lose money on it, it's rarely advertised or suggested and most people don't know it exists. Also, the Republican's health care plan failed today, so Obamacare will stay the same. Depending on your circumstances there could be an affordable plan through the exchanges

GlassPinata
25-03-17, 13:58
Hi I'm sure theres nothing to worry about! Maybe you can take her for a check up because there might be some muscle strain. Leukemia in children is incredibly rare and it resents itself with extreme fatigue, paleness. The bone pain is extreme, constant and worsening.

Have a great day! I hope her leg feels better soon!

That is very true.
When I was teaching preschool years ago, there was a child in my class who was diagnosed with leukemia.
It came on fast. Within a month he went from being a rowdy, overactive, and rather troublesome two-year-old to being a pale little ghost who constantly wanted to lay down and fall asleep, even on the playground. It was very clear that something was wrong. His skin was white as a sheet, he had big purple circles under his eyes. Then he began to get spontaneous nosebleeds, so his parents finally took him to the doctor, and sure enough, it was leukemia. He was gone for awhile, and then returned without hair, having undergone chemo. He was a little better, but quiet and shy, still not back to his former self.
I saw his mom in the grocery store four years after that and learned that he had achieved full remission and was considered cured. Today, he's probably eleven or twelve years old.

My point is twofold: one, it was so obvious when this child became ill. The change was like day and night, and it happened over a period of a few short weeks.
And also this: leukemia is not a death sentence. As a mom, I fear it too. But I am also aware that up to 80% of pediatric leukemia patients are cured. There are much worse diseases a child could have.

Good luck.