PDA

View Full Version : Depression caused by anxiety/SSRI's

Jools55
24-03-17, 10:09
Hi I'm just after some advice for my partner who I'm extremely worried about. He has panic disorder and went back on sertraline in December after a difficult few months. Initially he was on 100mg then went up to 150mg about a month ago because he was still experiencing some symptoms physical and mental of anxiety. Since Xmas his mood has been low I initially thought it was as a side effect of the anxiety and how draining it is. The last few months has got worse. He doesn't find enjoyment in anything, binge eating, sad, not sleeping. He's stopped seeing friends and family, struggling with work. 2 days ago he said he couldn't feel love to me like he did before and is now trying to isolate from me aswell. He also has no self-esteem, thinks he's a burden, thinks I would be better off without him. All this to me seems like he's in a major depressive state???

My question is could the medication have caused this? Does he need to see GP to maybe change medication. Is it normal to get depressed after a period of anxiety?

He's been referred for cbt for the panic but still waiting. He's been seeing a talk therapist but I don't know if that's helping he always seems much worse afterwards.

Any insight or advice is appreciated I'm scared for the man I love x

Mermaid16
25-03-17, 07:15
Hi Jools. Depression can definately follow a period of anxiety. I think I am going through a similar thing at the moment. I think the mind becomes worn out from the constant anxiety. Because you aren't functioning as you once were you think you are a burden on those around you. One thing I try to do is rest when I'm exhausted, even though sleep doesn't always come and even if it is for half an hour, it seems to recharge my batteries. I also try and push myself to not lay in bed all day. Even if I don't feel like it, I will sit out with my partner and watch television or do things even if I don't feel like it. I find that this st least makes you feel like you've achieved something. Maybe a trip back to the doctor to let them know about the depression and see what they think or can suggest. Maybe a medication change could help. Three months at the increased dose is more than enough time to be seeing positive results. Good luck with everything and hope your partner improves soon xx

snowghost57
25-03-17, 14:31
I was on 25mg of sertraline. I only lasted 20 days on it. I'm very sensitive to medication and experienced bad side effects. I admit that it did help me through my crisis, however, I was also a zombie. I have learned more about coping with anxiety without medication. I think it's great that it works for some people however, it's just not for me. All I wanted to do was sleep, I wasn't taking care of my life or anything. I just didn't care. I'll see my doctor next week and I don't intend on trying any other medication. Depression and anxiety do go hand in and hand. I hope things work out for your partner and he should work closely with his doctor and therapist to find out what works for him.