PDA

View Full Version : Health anxiety physical symptoms - own story

Eerie
24-03-17, 15:37
Hi everyone. This is fairly long, but I hope my story will help people who are battling the same situation. I personally seek reassurance, as I am deeply disturbed. I am new to this, I am 22, been struggling with anxiety since the beginning of the year following a sudden event in my family which turned out ok. This anxiety developed into health anxiety about a month ago.
It all started with persistent increased heart rate and palpitations which sent me to the ER. They had some bloodwork done, several EKGs, heart ecography, holter for 24h, had been seen by an endocrinologist and another doctor, they said it was all stress, all tests turned out fine. I had only some potassium issues and a slight UTI. I was put on beta-blocants, calcium, magnesium, potassium and xanax. I took the xanax only for 3 nights. Insomnia due to first palpitations, then restlessness, continued for two weeks, along with occasional chest pains. Then, I began taking antibiotics for my UTI and it got worse (no pain, just frequent urination and disconfort down there). Later I tried another antibiotic... This whole thing lasted for about five weeks and even got me to an urologist (thought it was a tumour). Everything was fine.
About a week after I stopped the beta blocants and maybe due to job interview stress, I got insomnia and palpitations once again. I went to a homeopath who gave me Ignatia amara, first CH7, then CH30. Didn't help much. I actually wonder if it did not cause all of the following symptoms:
For about a week I had dizziness and almost constant hunger (ate every two hours) after a black-out episode. Still had trouble sleeping. I stayed a lot with my folks, afraid of being alone/sick again. I then got whole body trembling, lasted for a few seconds but was extremely scarry. Following that, my left arm and calf began to feel weak and I had a slight dragging pain, don t know how to explain it. I ve been worried sick I have MS, still am. Weakness now moved to my right calf. I have muscular force, so perceived weakness. Two weeks ago, got burning sensations in my left thigh and calf for about 24 h. Then a short episode above my chest. Got blood tests again, all fine, doctor said my body was sensitive and told me to seek therapy, which I did. I am three weeks into CBT, been better and then worse and so on. I've recently been experiencing numbness in my left leg and in my fingers and toes, usually at night, they pass fairly quickly. Weakness in calves is still persistent and bothers me when resting as well. Not doing great with my anxiety, i found some teas that help me sleep,but I still wake up several times per night, I often feel tired and my eyes are heavy and I feel like closing them. Frequent urinations on and off, muscle twitches, slight involuntary movements when sleeping. Instant tingling in certain positions, and yesterday a strange tight feeling in my right side of the jaw...
I am seriously worried about my health. My therapist told me they are all normal sensations amplified by my anxiety. I often feel I am losing my mind, can't seem to find distractions that actually distract me. It's been a long and distressing journey...
I know there are many of you like this. How did you find ways to cope with it? To me, cbt is a slow process, does not help much to rationalise things since freaking out is my default... Did it help you guys in the long run?
Also, have you heard of this homeopathic remedy? Can it cause something like that?
Thank you for reading this :)

Kat16
25-03-17, 01:54
I am going to try therapy again. I started out with GAD and panic attacks, and it has now turned into ha. In the past xanax and therapy helped with my panic attacks, I am hoping therapy will help me this time. I had pain in my chest, jaw, and left arm and it turned out to be anxiety related. Every time I am told my symptoms are anxiety related I feel better for a little bit and then the symptoms and fears always come back and I am convinced the Dr was wrong. Good luck, I think therapy is a positive step.

swajj
25-03-17, 07:05
How many therapy sessions have you had?

Eerie
28-03-17, 09:40
Hi. Only three so far. Hope I will do better.

pablo0977
28-03-17, 10:52
Man, The symptoms surrounding your ER visit and what they put you through there in terms of tests sounds almost identical to my last Friday evening. It's crazy how your symptoms were so similar. Other than the UTI I can identify with everything. Hang in there and thanks for sharing.

thebluerecluse
28-03-17, 14:41
Homeopathy is useless. Find a naturopath with an actual degree in some kind of molecular biology and natural medicine if you want to try the alternative route.