PDA

View Full Version : Health Anxiety ruining my life

Ch1982
25-03-17, 12:05
Hi, I'm new to posting in the forums but have viewed them for a while now.
I'm hoping someone with similar experience of what I'm suffering from can provide me with support and advice on how to overcome my anxiety.

For a long time now I've had a recurring fear of cancer, particularly brain tumours. However, I also suffer from generalised anxiety and find that stress or perceived stress makes this worse.

Although I've convinced myself for the moment that it's unlikely I have a brain tumour due to my only symptom being recurring headaches that haven't really gotten worse over the lasts three months. I've visited a doctor who has prescribed me medication for my anxiety and doesn't seem at all worried about cancer.

The main problem I have is that I've developed very tiresome and ritualistic behaviour that seems to be focused around my neck. I think I've convinced myself that tension in my neck is causing my headaches but when I think more deeply into it I think my anxiety is making me perform rituals that is, in turn, prolonging the anxiety that I'm feeling.

Rituals that I perform at intervals during the day

- constantly flexing and stretching my neck
- pressing on my neck regularly
- using muscle relaxing cream on my neck
- using hot water bottles on my neck
- using moisturising lotion on my neck
- using vics vapour rub on my temples and forehead.

I guess at the bottom of this is the misguided belief that convincing myself that my problem stems from my neck in turn means that I don't have a brain tumour.

I don't get any relief from painkillers so I guess my anxiety is making any minor physical problem worse than it really is.

I'm really looking for some advice as to how to begin to gain more control over this behaviour and wonder if anyone has suffered similar problems and has any insight into my condition or any techniques I could try?

Thanks for reading.

Scared2bme
25-03-17, 12:53
First off I'm sorry. I've been there. Currently I'm having a a relapse and I'm on meds at that which makes it super disappointing.

Have you been diagnosed with OCD because a lot of what you describe sounds like rituals associated with OCD.

I've had episodes throughout my life where I was convinced I had MS, brain tumor (I kid you not I had dizziness, loss of hearing, headaches, balance problems etc.). An MRI showed that crap was all in my head. I've thought I had all kinds of cancers (knock on wood). I went through one horrible episode where I was preparing to die with ALS. Did the same with heart issues. I'm now on the stomach problem and eaophagous problem kick. It's freaking never ending although I'm happy to say I had about a year of remission which was glorious.

My point is the more you think about it the worse the symptoms become. I know the logical side of us knows this but unfortunately hypochondriasis is a real mental health issue and is very hard to cure. Try therapy and meds and you will find yourself enjoying life more. It won't take it away but it will make it less severe and even hopefully give you periods of remission

The likelihood of you having brain cancer is low and headaches believe it or not aren't even a primary sign of BC for a lot of people. I think you're fine. You're anxiety is trying to trick you (and all of us) into believing you're not fine.