PDA

View Full Version : Colds, coughs etc...

Paul84
25-03-17, 12:47
Hello, back in Early February I had a cold type bug that kept me off work for 3 days. Had bunged head, sneezing, cough etc...

6 weeks later, I have been sneezing and coughing for last few days. I can't work out if it's a cold AGAIN or whether it's allergies? The back of my throat is tickly and triggers a cough. I have to use a salt water spray to help clear my sinuses but I still feel like I have excess mucus at the back of my throat. Generally feel alright but I feel like I've strained my neck and chest.

Anyone got any suggestions or tips to help with the mucus issue etc... How many colds to people get on average in a year...?

My Health Anxiety points me towards horrible reasons but I know that these are illogical, but my focus is on my throat all day.

Thanks in advance.

blindfaith
25-03-17, 13:06
Hi Paul84.

You can try steam. Take a hot shower and breath the steam in through your nose. Or, boil a pot a water, lay a towel over your head and slowly breath the steam in. Be careful not to burn yourself, obviously make sure you are not breathing in scalding vapors. Here in US they have small steam machines that you can buy, maybe something worth looking into.

Do you run a humidifier? That may also help if your air is dry.
Post Nasal Drip is terrible, I suffer myself with it and I am gong through same thing as you. If this doesn't clear up, I suggest seeing your doctor, or an ENT. They can look in your nose and throat and help you figure out what would be best for you. Good luck.

GlassPinata
25-03-17, 16:18
Hello, back in Early February I had a cold type bug that kept me off work for 3 days. Had bunged head, sneezing, cough etc...

6 weeks later, I have been sneezing and coughing for last few days. I can't work out if it's a cold AGAIN or whether it's allergies? The back of my throat is tickly and triggers a cough. I have to use a salt water spray to help clear my sinuses but I still feel like I have excess mucus at the back of my throat. Generally feel alright but I feel like I've strained my neck and chest.

Anyone got any suggestions or tips to help with the mucus issue etc... How many colds to people get on average in a year...?

My Health Anxiety points me towards horrible reasons but I know that these are illogical, but my focus is on my throat all day.

Thanks in advance.

In my experience, allergies don't cause a fever (or only a very mild one), while cold viruses generally do cause some degree of fever.
That's the only way I can tell the difference.
You might try taking a histamine blocker like Allegra, and see if it improves your symptoms. If so, you will know it is allergies, and if not, it's more likely to be a cold.
It is not uncommon to get several cold viruses during the cooler months.... if you have small children or work around kids, you can get many.
A quick google search led me to WebMD, which tells me that adults average 2 to 4 colds per year, while young children can get up to twelve!
And remember that those colds are probably concentrated in the winter months, so it's perfectly possible to feel like you're sick all the time!

I'm sure you will feel better soon. Best wishes.