PDA

View Full Version : Scared i have colon cancer

jaka123
25-03-17, 13:47
Hi, Ive been lurking for a while but i cant find any posts that give me answers so ill just post here.

Im 15 and male and have been diagnosed with severe Anxiety. So in december last year i started noticing mucus in my bowel movements after having worms, for the last 2 months its only been on the toilet paper and my bowel movements only ever change if ive been going through periods of anxiety.

Ive been googling and ive been terrified i have colon cancer. My symptoms align more with ibs-d than cc but my anxiety is still going mental. Ive been to my gp who assured me that my symptoms don't sound like CC and i got a blood and stool test done. im still waiting for the results.

Only twice have i ever had blood on my toilet paper and it was because of a fissure.

I dont know what to do im just terrified.

Edit: Thank you all for the replies, it's really helped to calm my mind. I just don't even know if mucus and soft stool with slight urgency could mean ibs or not. I tend to worry a lot over things that seem impossible.

Cakelady
25-03-17, 14:54
Hi!
Sorry you are so worried. Anxiety is awful when it latches onto something. Its good you have been to your gp & he is not worried. It could be anxiety too playing havock with your bowels. Try to take comfort from the facts that your symptoms seem more like ibs & your doctor doesn't think its cc. Best thing to do is to try to stop Goggling. Maybe call your doctor on Monday & explain how worried you are as he might be able to give a bit more reassurance & maybe offer some help for your anxiety symptoms. Its so tough but you will be ok. Take care xx

GlassPinata
25-03-17, 16:09
Hi, Ive been lurking for a while but i cant find any posts that give me answers so ill just post here.

Im 15 and male and have been diagnosed with severe Anxiety. So in december last year i started noticing mucus in my bowel movements after having worms, for the last 2 months its only been on the toilet paper and my bowel movements only ever change if ive been going through periods of anxiety.

Ive been googling and ive been terrified i have colon cancer. My symptoms align more with ibs-d than cc but my anxiety is still going mental. Ive been to my gp who assured me that my symptoms don't sound like CC and i got a blood and stool test done. im still waiting for the results.

Only twice have i ever had blood on my toilet paper and it was because of a fissure.

It's a scary disease, but it's pretty much unheard of in kids and teens.
What is very common in teens is IBS. My symptoms were at their worst when I was your age. I believe hormones play a role.
Blood on the toilet paper is not uncommon at any age; even small children may have a dot of blood when they pass a hard stool. And you already have an explanation for it: it was a fissure.
Please keep reminding yourself that colon cancer is overwhelmingly a disease of old age. They don't even recommend screening for it until age fifty.
You truly have little to worry about.

Best of luck.

lily1
25-03-17, 16:38
At 15 it's very very unlikely.

I am 42 and have IBS which causes me to have an upset stomach a lot.

X

GlassPinata
25-03-17, 17:19
At 15 it's very very unlikely.

I am 42 and have IBS which causes me to have an upset stomach a lot.

X

And I'm 44 and have IBS. If I hadn't had it since childhood, I would think I had colon cancer.
But since I am so familiar with IBS symptoms, I know it's only IBS.
Still, it's no fun. :weep:

paranoid-viking
25-03-17, 23:33
15?
I dont think anyone that age gets colon cancer. Never heard of it and I guess that you wont be the first.

jaka123
26-03-17, 00:13
Thank you all for the replies, it's really helped to calm my mind. I just don't even know if mucus and soft stool with slight urgency could mean ibs or not. I tend to worry a lot over things that seem impossible.

pablo0977
26-03-17, 00:14
While more and more cases of colon cancer are being diagnosed in younger patients, 15 is young. You've done everything you can now you must just wait for the test results. Take comfort that you have been proactive and trust the results when they come back. I'm sure you'll be fine. Feel better.

Nzxt27
26-03-17, 11:36

Edit: Thank you all for the replies, it's really helped to calm my mind. I just don't even know if mucus and soft stool with slight urgency could mean ibs or not. I tend to worry a lot over things that seem impossible.

I went through this same spell last December. I can tell you that you don't have colon cancer at 15 unless you had a rare hireditary diease that makes 100's to thousands of polyps. Dont let the colon cancer consume you it did me till I finally got a colonscopy. Which costed me thousands out of my pocket.

jaka123
26-03-17, 12:21
I went through this same spell last December. I can tell you that you don't have colon cancer at 15 unless you had a rare hireditary diease that makes 100's to thousands of polyps. Dont let the colon cancer consume you it did me till I finally got a colonscopy. Which costed me thousands out of my pocket.

Do you mind if i ask what ended up being wrong?

Capercrohnj
26-03-17, 12:47
You do not have a single red flag symptom for colorectal cancer

WorryWorm
26-03-17, 14:39
Hi

I went through this a few years back diarrhoea, stomach pains, mucus and blood and i am in my forties. Had a colonoscopy turned out piles, h pylori and ibs which are all very treatable. I had convinced myself that i had colon cancer get it checked but most of the time it isn't what we think it is.

Ps when I get stressed my ibs plays up so mucus, stomach pains and diarrhoea go in to overdrive.