PDA

View Full Version : Bacteria/Disease exposure from potting soil

ErinKC
25-03-17, 20:36
I just potted some new flowers with MiracleGro potting mix. I just poured it into the pots and then used my hands to pot the flowers into it. While I was doing it my 3 year old was playing with the extra, digging in it with her shovel. And, we were both not wearing shoes because we just ran out onto our front steps to do it. While I was throwing away the bag of soil I realized it said in big bold letters KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN. Then I read that you should wear gloves while handling it. I (stupidly) googled and found all these stories about disease and infection spreading from handling potting soil and I had a huge panic attack. I have several open cuts/scratched on my hands and feet from my dry skin and now I'm so worried that some terrible bacteria got into them or that my daughter touched her face or mouth before I washed her hands. Tell me I'm not the only one who has used potting soil without gloves?? It didn't even occur to me... I am not at all a gardener....

xBettyBoopx
25-03-17, 21:32
Hey Erin

I understand your anxieties about this but I handle potting soil (we call it compost here) without gloves on and I always have cuts on my hands. High anxiety levels makes us frightened of anything basically. Poor us, right? We walk around night and day in absolute terror and for what? :mad::weep::wacko:

I know you have nothing to worry about but telling you not to worry is not going to make any difference.

You and your daughter are ok. All of these companies have to put some sort of disclaimer (think that's the word) incase they are sued for any reason!

Try and tell yourself that all is well and you are catastrophizing. It's soooooo easy to tell someone else to do it!

Take care, you will be ok.

xBettyBx

ErinKC
25-03-17, 22:08
Thank you so much for your response. Deep down I know all is well. My anxiety has been totally in check for a long time, but it's started to creep. I'm finding I have possibly developed a phobia of exposure/contamination to toxins. It started with worries about construction dust/paint fumes in my house when we moved in last year. Then we had a leak and the fear was mold and dust from repairs. Now this. I made an appointment with my therapist for a few weeks from now so I can discuss this with her!

Thank you for your thoughts and reassuring words!

Cakelady
25-03-17, 22:10
Hi,
Just as Bettyboop says you'll be ok.
My husband is a gardener by profession & handles this stuff all the time. He says he never wears gloves potting & often the children help, infact tomorrow we are planting our veggie seeds in trays. We have done this for years. I asked him & he sees nothing to worry about & its great to get your daughter involved:)
Try not to worry, I know easier said than done! Take care xx

ErinKC
25-03-17, 22:50
Thank you so much for asking your husband, Cakelady!! That does help.

MyNameIsTerry
25-03-17, 23:39
Hi,
Just as Bettyboop says you'll be ok.
My husband is a gardener by profession & handles this stuff all the time. He says he never wears gloves potting & often the children help, infact tomorrow we are planting our veggie seeds in trays. We have done this for years. I asked him & he sees nothing to worry about & its great to get your daughter involved:)
Try not to worry, I know easier said than done! Take care xx

I can add my dad to this. He was a landscape gardener for over 40 years and was working with all sorts of chemicals, which they get certified to use. He still does some work in his retirement as well as his own gardening.

He's never once had what you are worrying about. He never bothers with gloves with these domestic brands. And he was covered in cuts up his arms most of the time from working in bushes.

It's lovely that your daughter was helping. What a lovely image.

Any bottle containing chemicals will say keep away from children. The main reason is because of them consuming it or getting it in their eyes. That doesn't mean it is harmful to them at all. Your washing powder likely says it on the back. The same is often the case with dogs e.g. they may eat slug pellets but they aren't harmful to touch.