PDA

View Full Version : Anxious dad trying to beat health anxiety

pablo0977
25-03-17, 23:58
I have always been somewhat anxious, but since I became a parent it became worse. The thought of not seeing my girls grow up terrifies me. Shortly after my grandfather died and I watched my mother completely fall apart, despite the fact that he lived 93 years, my anxiety jumped exponentially. After flying home from the funeral I noticed my left leg was swollen behind the knee. This kicked off a number of tests, x-rays, ultrasounds, and eventually an MRI. All to find out that I have a minor meniscus tear and a small baker's cyst. In the process I had my kidneys and bladder checked as well as a full blood panel and any other test I could convince them to do based on real but very minor symptoms. Recently began feeling spells of lightheadedness which culminated in a ER visit last night. When I appeared confused and demonstrated some difficulty concentrating, they put me through a number of neurological tests, took blood, x-rayed the lungs, among other things. While all the tests came back fine and my dizziness went away after a few hours in the hospital, I have become convinced that I'm experiencing the onset of CJD as a result of my being in a high risk group (relative the general population, but still very low).

My wife needs me, my kids need me, and I need to stay alive and beat this so I can take care of them. We are all separated right now because of a complication with my wife's visa. They come home in June.

Every time I feel good feel like I have his health anxiety under control a new symptom pops up, and wouldn't you know it, it fits some terrible diagnosis. I'm fed up. Trying to take control, but nothing seems to work. I used to talk about it with my wife, but it's too hard on her. So here I am, looking for someone to talk to. Hoping that posting and sharing will be therapeutic. Thanks for listening.

ServerError
26-03-17, 00:46
You've had a plethora of medical tests, but have you discussed your anxiety with anybody? Have you had any therapy? I think that's where you need to start. You could benefit from medication if you've not tried that, but talk to your doctor before making any decisions.

pablo0977
26-03-17, 02:02
Not in a long time. I think that may be the next step. Thanks for your reply.

ServerError
26-03-17, 02:04
Definitely needs to be your next step, my friend. It's the best thing you can do for yourself and this family.

IrishLondon
26-03-17, 03:02
May I also suggest meditation/mindfulness. I'm only ten days in but I've already bought into it. I think it's the key to my anxiety.

pablo0977
26-03-17, 07:25
Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely check into that. I used to resist meds out of pride and principle, but I'll try them if it for my family's sake.

---------- Post added at 02:25 ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 ----------

Definitely needs to be your next step, my friend. It's the best thing you can do for yourself and this family.

Will do,thanks.