PDA

View Full Version : propanalol

ellenclarke81
27-10-04, 12:38
Is there any one out there who has taken propanalol continuously for a long period of time?
I'm worried as my doctor advised me to take it 'only when necessary' ha ha, funny thing is, that is about every day. I'm worried it might have side effects if atken long term, i'm also terrified of running out and not being allowed any more?
Is it okay to take them all the time? Ive tried to stop but i just have panic attacks straight away.

Laura xx
27-10-04, 12:55
Hi

I have been taking it for a while now. I take 3 40mg tablets a day. It has been my lifesaver. Without it I have bad panic attacks!

My Doctor has said that as of next week he is going to try to cut me down and wean me off it. I am dreading it!

I will let you know how it goes

Laura xx

PS I don't think it does any harm over a long period of time though, as they do recommend people with bad anxiety should take it for at least 6 months.

Meg
27-10-04, 16:51
They do not have any cumulative side effects and indeed the side effect profile is good .

All they do is slow and steady the heart beat . You migt want to try to cut down the dose a little and stabilize on that rather than look to come off them.

They in themselves are non addictive but you may need them as a crutch for now.

No doctor would refuse you a prescription which would mean a sudden stop of them. They should be weaned off .

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
- Albert Einstein.

Sue
27-10-04, 18:20
I have been taking them for just over a year, same dosage as Laura.

My doc doesnt seem to think theres a problem with taking them long term, but he is going to start cutting them down from next month. I am a bit nervous about that I must admit.

Whilst I do not like tablets long term, in my book it is vastly preferable to continual panic attacks!!

Sue

this_grey_dove
31-10-04, 20:57
hmm propranolol...i was on these for 2 yrs 2 prevent migraines b4 the anxiety started...i'm kinda thinkin that they may be to do with why my anxiety started wen I came off them...but I think theyre only used 2 prevent panic attacks ratha than anxiety so its prob a coincidence.
anyway, ull be weaned off them, cutting down the dosage ova a few wks. it doesnt hav any side effects if u slowly withdraw...the only possible side effects r rasied blood pressure and faster heart rate...so dont b scared!!! gd luck 2 u all
xpx

kim
06-11-04, 14:04
Hi there i was on 80mg of propranolol and i was taken down to 40mg twice a day only when needed,I was told only to take these when needed.It worked for me,i take one when i feel i really have to,but ive gone for days without needing one.But this only worked for me though.

Cookie
06-11-04, 17:10
Hi Ellen,
I take propanalol, have done for the past three months now. I take 40mg twice daily. My doctor wants to put me up to three tablets a day, but I'm so wary because, like you, I'm worried that I won't be able to come off them, might have long term side effects, terrified if I run out etc.
I was prescribed them to keep my heart rate down as its beating way too fast. I thought the panic attacks were a side effect of my heart racing, but now I think its the other way round. Panic attacks are making my heart go crazy. I suppose if they make you feel better though Ellen, just keep taking them. Its better for your health if you're happy and de-stressed. So if beta blockers make you feel happier, just keep on taking them for a while and see how you go. Maybe I should take my own advice!:D Let me know how you get on anyway.x

aytonangel
28-11-04, 19:47
Hiya

I have been taking Propranolol now for 4 years without a break, get nasty palpitations when I miss a dose or try to cut them down. I'm not sure whether this is my expectation of them causing them or they are for real. I take 2 x 20 mg per day.

I would love to come off them as I have piled on the pounds, I was taking them a few years back and stopped them without medical supervision and managed fine, I also lost over a stone in a few weeks too without dieting.

Despite what the medical people say these tablets do cause weight gain.

I hope to come off them in the summer next year, I think it will be better then for me as my anxiety etc is always worse in the winter with the lack of daylight hours.

Meg
29-11-04, 00:21
Betablockers slow down your heart rate which in turn slows down your metabolism: - so if you eat and exercise the same amount with and without betablockers you will put on weight whilst on them.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

malificent
22-12-04, 19:22
hi there,

i take propranolol when i need to e.g going into town or on a journey, so i don't take them regularly, but i haven't noticed any weight gain yet if anything i've lost weight, mostly due to when i'm not taking the drug my heart rate is up in my fat burning zone when i'm sitting still!

i hope it works for you, i am very wary of taking tablets but i have found they have helped me very well.

Lucy

della
27-03-05, 23:21
hi

I took propranolo for about 6 yrs and had no probs

della:D

blossom
27-03-05, 23:44
I was given Propranalol 80mgs over two years ago to help with the panic attacks, and never put oon any weight, but now they have found out that my BP is high they have upped them to 2 x 80 SR twice a day, I have not noticed any weight gain at all.
I was on 4 40mgs a day, but it made my head muzzy so he changed them to slow release, My cousin was on them for 16 years, and was weaned off them. Good luck from Blossom

Bonjourno
07-06-05, 20:49
Propranolol saved me - i was initially put on it because of disastrous effects of a skin supplement i used. But i wish i had known about prop three to four years again, as certain times i have been in utter torment from nerves and panic...almost certain i would have had to pack in uni if it hadn't been for propranolol - helps settle my stomach and nerves, its fantastic, and i don't need to use it much - just one tablet for hard occasions is sufficient. I wish i had known about the drug earlier - say yr10 and yr11 in high school - i got bullied largely because i was a nervous, panicky wreck - all of which would be avoided had it not been for nerves. Thank the lord i've discovered this stuff.

stacie.b
10-06-05, 11:20
hi, i have taken these pills for at least 2 years now and the only side effect i have had is when i miss a dose. it the feeling of a racing heart, panic, all those in to one, but if you need them, yake them, i feel that they do help me. take care, and dont worrie. stace xxxxx

stace

linjane
11-06-05, 12:51
Hi,
My doc has recently prescribed me with propranalol, after my bugging him for ages LOL, 40mg to take when needed. I haven't taken one yet, but now after reading all of the posts, I think they might help. I get irregular/missed/fluttering heart symptoms that terrify me, but have had medical checks which just say I have an isolated ectopic heartbeat. If the prop can regulate that, they are defo worth me giving them a go. I also take chinese herbal remedies and hope that they won't interfere with the prop? Does anyone know?

Linda.x

denise84
13-06-05, 15:39
i take it and i take a 85mg one a day, and it just takes the edge off things which is better in the long run that trying to tough it out all day eh?

dmcgovern