PDA

View Full Version : What do you find is the best way to deal with/get better from depression

Mermaid16
27-03-17, 05:33
After having a really tough time with anxiety (I was hospitalised for a month), I stabalised and we started tapering meds (as I was on a lot). Everything was going well and then for about the last week or more I have been waking at around 3.30am and now I'm feeling depressed. The psych has suggested an increase in Nortriptyline, but was just wondering the best way to deal with it, as you can feel like doing nothing, but when you do, you can feel worse. I am still working, but am very tired. Do most people rest or keep going and what do you do to try to help yourself out of this state? It was 20 years ago since I have felt this flat. Hope I pick up soon. Has anyone got better without med increases? Thanks in advance.

KeeKee
27-03-17, 09:16
I'm currently in the throes of depression myself right now and simply can't see any light at the end of the tunnel so it will be interesting to see what advice people give.

My first ever therapist did suggest I ensure I get ready every single day, even when I'm not leaving the house.

Do you have any hobbies etc? Friends? Family who will listen? I know somebody who says having their loved one help them through was what helped them during their hard times.

Mermaid16
27-03-17, 09:47
Hi KeeKee! I do have family support. Thank you for responding. My psych wants me to up my pills (Nortriptyline) to 125mg. My resting heart rate is about 80bpm and it gives me really bad dry mouth (to the point that I sound hoarse when I talk sometimes) and bad constipation. The increase heart rate is what worries me. I don't know what to do because I don't want to increase, but I don't want to stay like this either. I am still working, which is a good distraction, but am crying at home over silly things and don't really enjoy what I use to enjoy doing. I'm on a lot of medication which I want to get off, but just think now is not the time. I think I will call the psych and discuss my concerns re the Nortriptyline and see what she says. Although I can almost hear the reply "Well do you want to get better or not". Grrr...I just want my life back. Thanks again for your reply. I hope that your depression improves. I have read some of your other threads so have a bit of background. You sound like a strong lady. Anyone that can make the choice to go med free has a strong, determined mind. I'm on 5 pills and back to square one.

DarkHorse
27-03-17, 09:53
Hello there.

First of all I am very sorry to hear that you had to be hospitalized due to your anxiety.

I have never really taken any medication for anxiety except something very mild for when I get on planes because they make me feel uneasy. But I like to think that we all have the same root to our problems and that is our brain activity.

When I realize that just my thoughts alone can make my BODY hurt I kind of feel like I have superpowers. And then I try to turn my overthinking the other way around! Instead of overthinking that this negative overthinking will give me a panic attack I try to overthink how if overthinking about positive things will turn me into a unicorn or something.

I truly believe that if we are able to make ourselves believe that everything around us is a total chaos then we really must have some very powerful brains and a very vivid imagination.

Bare with me I am not kidding.

What if just for one second we look at this differently?
What if we can make ourselves believe that we have been given this so very powerful brain but we are just accidentally using it the wrong way?

Take a breath. Look around you and find your constants. Find the things in your life that cannot change no matter what. Whether it is a person, a pet, your house or your sofa. It could be a place. A museum. Your favourite museum will always be there. And so will you!

A thought can make us feel depressed, make us believe the world is ending. Well guess what. A thought, just a single thought can also make US feel DIVINE!

You have to believe that you have the power to turn things around! If you can make yourself feel depressed then you can make yourself feel happy. Just don't be afraid. There are so so so many people like you out there. If you can get better then so can they. Use your super powers and be someone that other people would want to be like.

You don't have to make a big step or anything. Just have a discussion with yourself and convince yourself that you would rather be happy than depressed and so it is only logical that from now on you will have happy thoughts.

P.s. My idea of a happy though: me in a pool at a pool party with people flirting with me ceaselessly ;)

KeeKee
27-03-17, 10:05
Thank you very much for your kind comment mermaid. I think if I didn't have BDD and didn't gain weight from antidepressants though (15lbs literally dropped off me when I came off them so was definitely the meds), I'd possibly still take them. Some would probably see me as stubborn or shallow so thank you very much for your nice comment.

It's nice you have family support but sometimes it just isn't enough.

Do the meds cause increase heart rate or is that your anxiety? There are some meds that can help with that if it's anxiety (Propranolol), although I'm sure you don't want to add even more to the mix. That particular med though, completely eradicated my panic attacks and I've never had another, even 3 years off meds.

I get what you mean about the "do you want to get better" comment. My current GP is so lovely I actually look forward to seeing them, but years ago when on Citalopram I experienced depersonalisation and just didn't feel like me at all and they actually said "well would you rather be depressed" ha.

Hope things start picking up for you.

Bigboyuk
12-04-17, 16:13
Mermaid it does take a big decision being med free it takes a lot to do it this way (some will need meds to help them too but don't believe it should be a whole lifetime!) So long as there is support via forums and MH charities like I go to one and it really does help keep you on track. And DarkHorse what a very positive way to put it your post is really very good and makes a lot of sense thank you :)

Fishmanpa
12-04-17, 16:33
For me it was therapy and meds (Zoloft for 6 months while in therapy) along with some CBT techniques and a lot of hard work..... and it worked :)

Positive thoughts