PDA

View Full Version : Propanolol and muay thai boxing

Sultan
28-03-17, 11:11
Hi guys, its my first time posting a thread, using an online forum.

I have been suffering from anxiety and depression for a long time and I was on citalopram 10 mg initially and then upgraded to 20 mg but it didn't work on me, sometimes better sometimes even worst. Recently I am prescribed propranolol 40 mg, one tablet a day. I forgot to ask my doctor if i could continue taking citalopram with propranolol and to continue muay thai boxing (which is an intense exercise). I have started taking this medicine and I'm experiencing worst side effects, I am having blurry vision, feeling tired, dizzy and don't want to do anything.

I am worried if I could continue my thai boxing with these medicines.? ( I don't want to stop box) :weep:

Experiences shared will highly be appreciated.

Thanks.

panic_down_under
28-03-17, 11:56
Hi guys, its my first time posting a thread, using an online forum.

Welcome to No More Panic, :welcome:

I have been suffering from anxiety and depression for a long time and I was on citalopram 10 mg initially and then upgraded to 20 mg but it didn't work on me, sometimes better sometimes even worst.

How long did you take 10mg citalopram, and how long have you been on 20mg?

Recently I am prescribed propranolol 40 mg, one tablet a day.

Propranolol is not an anti anxiety med as such, but blocks the adrenaline fuelled symptoms of the flight-or-fright response which can be so disturbing to those of us with an anxiety disorder. It has a fairly short half-life so is often prescribed to be taken twice a day.

I forgot to ask my doctor if i could continue taking citalopram with propranolol

Yes, you can, and I assume that was your GPs intention as propranolol is not effective for depression. However, you probably should clarify this with your doctor.

and to continue muay thai boxing (which is an intense exercise). I have started taking this medicine and I'm experiencing worst side effects, I am having blurry vision, feeling tired, dizzy and don't want to do anything.

As per the above, propranolol blocks adrenaline activity which will probably affect how much exercise you're able to do and make you feel tired, though the tiredness may ease after a while, as usually will the blurry vision and dizziness.

Sultan
28-03-17, 12:53
Hi No Panic down under.

Thanks for your reply. :)

I took citalopram 10mg for about 6 months, and then 20 mg for 3 months,

I was being told by the doctor, if I feel the need so I can take propranolol maximum upto 3 times a day.

If the side effects are for a short period then I might be able to cope with it.

Thanks once again.:)

Bike Rider
28-03-17, 13:04
Hi Sultan and welcome.

I found with cycling that taking 20mg of Prop I still rode well, however as P_d_U has said, if I took 2 or 3 on a regular basis I could not get my heart rate above 100 bpm, where up some of our hills it would reach 165 bpm, this meant that muscles were not getting the oxygen fueled blood supply fast enough and I blow up.:madness: lol

I was taking 40mg of Cit once a day and 20mg of Prop upto 3 times as needed.

panic_down_under
28-03-17, 21:42
I took citalopram 10mg for about 6 months, and then 20 mg for 3 months,

Taking only 10mg for 6 months may have been counterproductive, but if you're still anxious after 3 months on 20mg then you're best option would be to increase it. I don't see the point of taking a med at an ineffective dose. The maximum recommended is 40mg/day, 20mg is the usual minimum effective dose.

I was being told by the doctor, if I feel the need so I can take propranolol maximum upto 3 times a day.

Ask if you can try splitting the 40mg to 20mg in the morning and the other 20mg about 12 hours later. It might be enough to do the job while both easing the side-effects and giving round the clock protection.